Yamaha RXV467 with Polk 705 Speakers 5.1

vprasad84

Hi All,

Initially i was planning to go for an Onkyo 6300 (US Model) however due to warranty issues & concerning the usage of stepdown transformer & problems in future i have hold my decision on it. Onkyo 5300 are having big front speakers & confused is they would look good in my room

Now i am planning to setup my hometheatre by getting a reciever - Yamaha RXV467 & Polk RM705 5.1 speakers. I have read reviews about the polk 705 speakers having crisp & clear sound. The reciever is coming for an price of 27K & the speakers for 25k (price was just discussed on phone). I have a budget max 0f 45-50K on hometheatre. I want you to please suggest me if this combination is good or please suggest some other combination or HTIB & make value for my purchase . My room size where ill be installing the HTS is 12x12

Hello Mr.Prasad,

The price quoted for Yamaha 467 is definitely on the higher side, please contact Yogesh in our forum. He will be surely able to provide you much better deals.

Best regards

Hi Prasad, your situation is exactly as mine. I initially wanted to buy a 3300 from India, but then got my eyes set on getting a 5300 from US. But the logistics is still a problem.

My budget is around 25-30K max. Plus I don't even have a fixed room for my HT, I am staying in a rented apt currently, which can change any time.

Am equally confused as you, whether I should wait till I get a place of my own or else shall I buy on a low end HT setup and upgrade later or what.

A forum user suggested me the same yamaha 467 + Polk 5.1 Audio setup combination Pol speakers definitely are cuter from the pictures. I will need to demo them soon.

Do let me know if you're getting a better deal on prices.

Hi Snorkel,

If you are looking for Onkyo 5300, you can get it from ebay. Currently it is showing price of Rs. 35200 which includes every charges of shipping & customs. Plus you will also need to get a stepdown transformer of 1.5Kva which would again cost you 3-4K. If you get it from shop your world, you will have to pay for extra weight after 5KG. It is because when i asked them about onkyo 6300 they quoted me the price of Rs. 28500 + 7500 shipping charges (5KG limit) which has to be paid through credit card online. If you pay it online through your HDFC/ICICI card then you get an 1500 rs discount. But when the product will be delivered to you, you have to pay for extra weight (only 5KG is free) the charges of extra weight is Rs 384 per kg. Onkyo 6300 is around 33KG show i have to pay for 28KG which would be (384x28) Rs.10752 so the total price of the onkyo 6300 would be Rs. 46752 which is absolutely irritating as i will have to get a stepdown transformer which would again cost 3-4K & moreover after sending so much there would be no warranty on the product as onkyo india provides warranty only if you get the system from their authorized dealer in india. Onkyo 6300 was showing for 31K & on that price i wouldnt minded for warranty but i was just querying here around & by the time i was ready to purchase it i observed that it was already sold out & the new rate was 41K.

You may get Onkyo 3305 which is around 21K without Blu ray player & 29K if with blu ray player. It sound very great & the bass was really good though a passive one however when it was played through a blu ray player with a DTS mastered disc. I was impressed by it & was just excited to swipe my card there itself. However i then visit to chroma & auditioned it with music, it was not good enough but later i observed that they had played the music from a normal philips dvd player.

I think i can get the Yamaha RXV467 with Polk RM705 a complete package for 45K. If anybody thinks this is again high please post here. Someone also please suggest if there can be some better combination over this on the same budget or the current combination isnt really good.

You can also check Onkyo 508 + SKS 728 package . One of the forum members got it for 42k....

@ Prasad, Thanks for your post. I have been following your posts so I knew it all. Even I tried Shopyourworld. I called them beforehand and they confirmed that my 5300 is 37 Kgs, of which 5 Kgs is expempted so I will be charged shipping for the remaining 32 Kgs. PLus customs and VAT, they quoted me 39K total for the 5300. Again over my Budget.

At times I think I need to visit a few stores to be more convinced for the sound of music. I am going to use it equally for Movies and Music. I listen to a lot of House and Club music so I need good Bass and treble and if I get extra clarity for 320 kbps sampled MP3s from my iPhone/ iPod that would be really great. Other than these, my only other input would be the PlayON HD media player.

Considering my above requirements, and my budget of 25-30K, @Kittu, will you be able to confirm if there's anything better than Onkyo?

Also, if I do manage someone to get me the 5300 from US, I did the math.
I am assuming the entire 80 lbs box goes for extra baggage, which should come around (37 Kgs x 450Rs/ Kg) = the same 16-17K
plus Customs (4-5K)
plus Step Down transformer
plus No warranty

So in the end I am beginning to feel, its not really worth procuring it from US unless u save the shipping costs and get it on your own.

^
In your budget you are left with not many choices . Onkyo only. I think denon 1311xp or some package comes around 34k.. You may want to audition it ...

Thanks Kittu, I will try and find out where all i can audition HTs in Delhi/ NCR, under my budget and then soon finalise on one set.

Denon 1311 + Polk 6750 5.1 package goes very well for your budget. Try to get a free Denon headphone or Denon HDMI cable as well (old offer).

Hi Guys,

I just got the demo of Denon 1611 with Polk 6750 (705 are discontinued & not available). The sound was very good & very clear. It was good both for music & movies. The price of same is 48k & incase if i get the polk 6750 5.1 with yahama rxv467 reciever then its 46K. However sound from the same speakers with yamaha was not as good as when with denon. What you guys say shall i go ahead with it. Please post your feedbacks.

profx had called me up & they said that Denon 1311 with Polk 6750 will be released in few days with a price of 34k however 1311 is very basic reciever & has not got the latest features as the Denon 1611

Or shall i go for Onkyo 5300 which is just extra of couple of thousand. if i wud get it i wud to use it as a 5.1 system. The benefit of onkyo 5300 is that it has got big speakers & big subwoofer.

Please suggest more

Hello Guys,

I auditioned JBL Cinesystem 140 which is equally good. However it is cheap (website quotes 25k & can buy online from it) but considering the sound i do not find a difference in it comparing the denon polk combination. The woofer of jbl however is on top if compared with the polk one's. But the JBL speakers are tiny.

However i might go for Denon 1611 with Polk 6750. Please suggest if i can go for JBL140 or 200 or JBL cinesystem9 or the above denon-polk but the harman kardon reciever does not have dolby truhd & dts HD decoding support.

Here now i put my important query. I have a Samsung 32" full HD LCD TV & in tv manual no where it mentions that it has an ARC (Audio Return Channel Feature).

Now lets says if i hook my airtel hd dth setup box to the denon avr hdmi input & also my blu ray player. Now please suggest me how the system actually works. The sound from setupbox/bluray player will be output directly to the speaker (via AVR) or the audio with video will first go to the lcd tv (via AVR) & then the tv will return the audio to the avr & ultimately the avr will output the returned sound to the speakers?

The reason i am asking is because incase if the system works as mentioned below then in that case since my tv doesnt supports arc, i will have to connect a digitial coaxial cable from setup box to the avr digital coaxial in & similar with blu ray player. But the denon 1611 avr has only 1 digital coaxial input & in this case it would be a problem. To solve this purpose i can also get yamaha rxv467 but it is not as good as comparing with denon 1611.

Guys please help. Also please post your experience/feedback with JBL if any.

Hello,

I have read about the ARC feature & understood it well. Incase if anybody wants to know then please read as below

Definition: Audio Return Channel (ARC) ia a very practical feature that has been introduced in HDMI ver1.4. What this function allows, if both a home theater receiver and a TV have HDMI ver1.4 and offer this feature, is that you can transfer audio from the TV back to a home theater receiver and listen to your TV's audio through your home theater audio system instead of the TV's speakers without having to connect a second cable between the TV and home theater system.
For example, if you receive your TV signals over-the-air via antenna, the audio from those signals goes directly to your TV. Ordinarily to get the audio from those signals to your Home Theater receiver, you would have to connect an extra cable (either analog stereo, digital optical, or digital coaxial) from the TV to the home theater receiver for this purpose.

However, with Audio Return Channel, you can simply take advantage of the HDMI cable you already have connected between the TV and the home theater receiver to transfer audio in both directions.

Remember, in order to take advantage of Audio Return Channel both your TV and Home Theater Receiver must be equipped with HDMI 1.4 and the TV and Home Theater Receiver manufacturer has included the Audio Return Channel as an option within their implementation of HDMI 1.4.

Hello,

I have read about the ARC feature & understood it well. Incase if anybody wants to know then please read as below

Definition: Audio Return Channel (ARC) ia a very practical feature that has been introduced in HDMI ver1.4. What this function allows, if both a home theater receiver and a TV have HDMI ver1.4 and offer this feature, is that you can transfer audio from the TV back to a home theater receiver and listen to your TV's audio through your home theater audio system instead of the TV's speakers without having to connect a second cable between the TV and home theater system.
For example, if you receive your TV signals over-the-air via antenna, the audio from those signals goes directly to your TV. Ordinarily to get the audio from those signals to your Home Theater receiver, you would have to connect an extra cable (either analog stereo, digital optical, or digital coaxial) from the TV to the home theater receiver for this purpose.

However, with Audio Return Channel, you can simply take advantage of the HDMI cable you already have connected between the TV and the home theater receiver to transfer audio in both directions.

Remember, in order to take advantage of Audio Return Channel both your TV and Home Theater Receiver must be equipped with HDMI 1.4 and the TV and Home Theater Receiver manufacturer has included the Audio Return Channel as an option within their implementation of HDMI 1.4.

If I connect Asus O Play Mini via HDMI to AVR(for instance Onkyo HTS3300), and then connect AVR to LCD Display/Projector via HDMI, assuming my TV/Projector does not have ARC, do I need to connect optical cable from TV/Projector to AVR to listen the audio through AVR.

If I connect Asus O Play Mini via HDMI to AVR(for instance Onkyo HTS3300), and then connect AVR to LCD Display/Projector via HDMI, assuming my TV/Projector does not have ARC, do I need to connect optical cable from TV/Projector to AVR to listen the audio through AVR.

You are getting confused between issues here.

At the outset, ARC has nothing to do with a projector. ARC will work only with TVs or other active equipment that can generate or receive an audio signal. That way, a projector is a passive device.

In your case, the Play Mini generates both the audio and video signals. The HDMI from the Play Mini to the AVR and from there to the TV carries both audio and video signals. When you route such a signal through an AVR, it generally keeps the audio with itself, and forwards the video signal to a display device such as TV or projector. That is all the connection you need.

Cheers

You are getting confused between issues here.

At the outset, ARC has nothing to do with a projector. ARC will work only with TVs or other active equipment that can generate or receive an audio signal. That way, a projector is a passive device.

In your case, the Play Mini generates both the audio and video signals. The HDMI from the Play Mini to the AVR and from there to the TV carries both audio and video signals. When you route such a signal through an AVR, it generally keeps the audio with itself, and forwards the video signal to a display device such as TV or projector. That is all the connection you need.

Cheers

So what I understand from your explanation is, AVR irrespective of ARC capability will play all the sound and will not send the same(unless I opt for) to TV or projector.

My second part of understanding is, if TV signals(STB AV-OUT) are directly connected to a TV with ARC, TV can send the audio through HDMI to the AVR(provided this also with ARC).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back