Yet Another HTPC-advice Thread!

haha, yes i had seen it y'day. but found cannot fit in an optical drive into it.

You can fit an optical drive, its a full Micro ATX cabinet, the front panel opens up to give you the access to the optical drive and USB ports with Audio ports, just like any other case. Check again.:)

I think the total cost of this cabinet comes to 9k as its imported from US. Please check the import fees/shipping charges on top of the 5k list price.

I think the total cost of this cabinet comes to 9k as its imported from US. Please check the import fees/shipping charges on top of the 5k list price.

No it includes import fee, as this is amazon.in we are talking not .com, but yes delivery charges will be there.

You can fit an optical drive, its a full Micro ATX cabinet, the front panel opens up to give you the access to the optical drive and USB ports with Audio ports, just like any other case. Check again.:)

yes, i re-read the customer-feedback from which i had surmised that an opt. drive wont fit in. found it was because he had a large PSU.

the case definitely looks sleek & nice! but well over my budget. the grape is sour. :sad:

My experience of building an HTPC 3 years back for 10K.

CPU : Intel Core i3 2nd gen
RAM - 4 GB
Monitor- None/Headless
4 HDD's -40 GB/40 GB/250 GB/1TB
Motherboard - Gigabyte H6DXX
NIC - Realtek or any 1Gbe
GPU : None

All the above for about 10.5K.

Installed ESXi hypervisor(free), installed Centos 6- minimal (free), installed plex(free), installed SMB/CIFS(free), connected to my gigabit netgear WNDR 4500 router which connects to 8 port 10/100 MB switch.

Network setup : Everything connected. Denon, Blu Ray player, LG 3D smart TV, HTPC.

HTPC is only connected to the network not to the TV. I have an LG smart tv with Plex. I stream all my movies (1080P) DTS/Dolby HD, DTS HD. The TV and Denon are connected on the ARC mode hence Denon can decode the audio signals from the TV.

If you do not have a smart TV you can simply run chromecast and install Plex however I do not recommend wireless unless you are running an really expensive route like the nighthawk X6. I prefer wired because no drops.

The server acts as a file server/backup server/media server/torrent and if I wanted to run another server I can simply install another VM.

No issues of backups- You can export the OVA(which is the image of the OS with all data), take snapshots and do whatever you feel like. Even if your OS crashes you can install a new OS within minutes and attach the virtual HD to the new OS. Did that like 5 times when switching over from centos7 to centos6.

I havent had the itch to upgrade in 3 years. I do not need to convert media however if plex cant play then i just simply use the inbuilt converter in plex and it converts just fine.

I have a gaming PC as well but never really used it except for productivity and games.

If you do not have an AVR then think of something on the GPU/Gaming rig.

No it includes import fee, as this is amazon.in we are talking not .com, but yes delivery charges will be there.

No sam I have added this item to the cart and below is the final price:

Items
Estimated Shipping & Handling
Import Fees Deposit
Estimated Order Total

I agree its amazon.in but the seller is importing from .com and selling it on amazon.in. As I was looking for the same case earlier on eBay as well and the seller was cart2India and it was the same case the price was coming to 9k+.

Antec is mini itx, he has ATX board, but yes silverstone milo says it takes ATX so that might be ok

No sam I have added this item to the cart and below is the final price:

Items
Estimated Shipping & Handling
Import Fees Deposit
Estimated Order Total

I agree its amazon.in but the seller is importing from .com and selling it on amazon.in. As I was looking for the same case earlier on eBay as well and the seller was cart2India and it was the same case the price was coming to 9k+.

Strange, I wonder what "Includes Import fee" means, which is written on the product page then. I never liked Amazon India frankly, they seriously over charge lots of items ...

Strange, I wonder what "Includes Import fee" means, which is written on the product page then. I never liked Amazon India frankly, they seriously over charge lots of items ...

the listed price does say '6xxx, including import fee', & additionally 3xxx as delivery-charge. so total does come to 9xxx. on adding to cart its only showing the break-up of it all. so its fine i suppose.

sajjan log, pls advise an HTPC-case to me. have decided to change my present one. the config is:

Giga GA-H97M-D3H
Zotac GTX 750ti
Corsair 550W PSU
No optical drive as of now
1 SSD
1 HDD (planning to add in more)

i was contemplating upon Circle Lil. any other suggestions?

Using Circle Lil for my HTPC which I assemled some time back. I have not had any issues so far. The cabinet looks good and can be placed either horizontally or vertically. It can accomodate optical drive as well. All this only for 2K.

Using Circle Lil for my HTPC which I assemled some time back. I have not had any issues so far. The cabinet looks good and can be placed either horizontally or vertically. It can accomodate optical drive as well. All this only for 2K.

thanks a lot! was awaiting your feedback. so ultimately circle lil it is then! :)
P.S. - atleast one SSD & an HDD can be attached inside it comfortably?

finally got a case! went to my local go-to store. saw circle lil. found it to be too small. couldnt have accommodated my PSU & the HDDs. then eyes fell on a larger and another sleek case from iball. very good looking. but unfortunately that too was not made for my bulky components. finally the only other case there with the HTPCish look was CM N200 (& N400). and these were the only ones available there with front USB 3.0 ports. for a few moments was confused between N200 & N400 ( two USB 3.0 + one USB 2.0 front ports, v/s two USB 3.0 + two USB 2.0 ports). finally, better sense prevailed & i opted for the smaller case, ie, N200. cost - 3.5k (selling for ~5k on amzn!)........one weird thing i noticed...while in the shop i did once check N200 & N400 on amzn & their prices. later on, google ads of amzn were showing me the N200 for 3.5k, but on amzn site it was still showing as ~5k. it was as if they also track details of payments/debit card transactions! IDK how but it seemed so........anyway, some pics:

lHdTvpD.jpg

cOBYXqZ.jpg

rypbbSI.jpg

smjYCU0.jpg

thanks everyone for the help!

hello everyone,

need some help with an issue am facing in movie-playback. i got a 2160p UHD HEVC HDR10 rip of a movie with DTSHD5.1 audio-stream, & the playback stutters, on VLC, potplayer, MPC-HC, all. my GPU is GTX 750Ti, CPU being intel G3250 3.20GHz, & 8GB RAM. could anyone pls suggest if this could be resolved in anyway? @sam9s?

EDIT: ah! just found out GTX 750Ti doesnt have HEVC support. GTX 750 SE does. sorry for the bother.

Last edited:
hello everyone,

need some help with an issue am facing in movie-playback. i got a 2160p UHD HEVC HDR10 rip of a movie with DTSHD5.1 audio-stream, & the playback stutters, on VLC, potplayer, MPC-HC, all. my GPU is GTX 750Ti, CPU being intel G3250 3.20GHz, & 8GB RAM. could anyone pls suggest if this could be resolved in anyway? @sam9s?

EDIT: ah! just found out GTX 750Ti doesnt have HEVC support. GTX 750 SE does. sorry for the bother.

Excellent thread.

I am also planning to build a HTPC, however, with an old C2D 4gb DDR2 Dell Optiplex CPU.

@All
What I am looking for is a GPU.
Considerations/Obstacles:
1.There is very little space inside the box and from what I understand I can fit in only a GPU that takes in a single PCI slot on mother board as well as the case. :sad:.
2. Issue is that I do not seem to have any power socket to power any of those GPUs that need additional power(some 6 pin port google talks of).

What are my options? I saw some of those MINI variants, GTX 1050 MINI for example. But not sure. Here is the link to a Dell Forum which has some pics of the CPU and the Motherboard in one of the posts: Video Card for Optiplex 760 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

The GTX750TI seems like a good GPU, however, I am getting a 4 month old 1050 Mini for about 8500/- and 750ti, few months used for around 7k. Again I am not sure which one would fit it.

Any suggestions?

MaSh

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back