Your Latest Vinyl Purchases...

Where do you buy most of your records from?

• Locally (Within India)

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • Abroad (Not Online shopping)

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Ebay

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Discogs

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Other Websites

Votes: 31 30.7%

• Total voters
Golden gun is first release. Pyaar Ka Mausam first press is on Angel label. Second is on Odeon

And it is a shame that such an ambitious project as TGG, with such lovely music by Pancham, had such weak audio. Take the golden gun cover or the later one, the sound just makes you mad with anger and frustration.

Atanu, at times I wonder how much of an influence does the vinyl quality have on the sound? We always tend to attribute sound to mastering, but am sure the purity of the vinyl also has a big role to play. Having said that TGG has decent audio. I haven't heard the album for some time but I don't remember it sounding bad

Yes Atanu you are quite right.

Specially when you listen to songs recorded in late 50s and early 60s, they have better audio then 70s songs. So why this deterioration in SQ.

Reason :

The media on which recordings were made was imported from abroad. Government needed a plausible and acceptable reason ( to them ) to shell out precious USD for mere recording media. Why you need a 200 USD recording tape when a 50 USD tape can do the job ? This started after the oil crisis in early 70s.

Result was poor quality master tapes.

More so ever producers were less concerned about the sound quality. Afterall how many theaters were there in country which had a good average sound system ? very few.

The key was, to have a bare minimum setup to run the theater.

If you recall some single screen movie theater from your childhood, you'd remember the horrible sound quality it had. so producers thought it lost cause to have their audio recorded on any expensive ( relatively ) master tapes.

my 10 bucks....

And it is a shame that such an ambitious project as TGG, with such lovely music by Pancham, had such weak audio. Take the golden gun cover or the later one, the sound just makes you mad with anger and frustration.

Last edited:

TGG while shooting has been done in Europe in those days, why the producers were miser in spending for good audio recording. We all love those gems but a good audio quality would have make this more listenable. I also find the audio quality not good enough.

Regards,
Sourav

Went to Bangkok last week..Hardly got time to do any record shopping but managed to visit 2 stores. Very happy with the few I picked up. Especially th Japanese pressings :licklips:

102w87d.jpg

Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black (1990 original Dutch press, Epic records)
Heathen - Breaking the Silence (1987 original US press, Combat records)
Pan.thy.monium - Khaoos & Konfusion (2015 reissue)
Testament - The New Order (2011 reissue, Clear vinyl)

The Japanese ones (all 1st pressings)

doxu03.jpg

Iron Maiden - Live After Death (1985 EMI)
Heart - Little Queen (1977 Portrait Records)
Rainbow - On Stage (1977 Oyster, Polydor)

Which 2 stores did you visit in Bangkok?

I was there in Jan this year and had just 2 hours to spare so I went to this mall which has three record stores out of which the biggest one was closed and one was very expensive.

Ended up buying just a couple of records from the third store which had a decent collection.

Last edited:
Which 2 stores did you visit in Bangkok?

I was there in Jan this year and had just 2 hours to spare so I went to this mall which has three record stores out of which the biggest one was closed and one was very expensive.

Ended up buying just a couple of records from the third store which had a decent collection.

Oh I think you went to Fortune Mall. I had that in my 'to go' list but then somebody told me that the Vinyllica (one of the three shops there) guy is very rude.plus his rates are very high. Even then..I'd have wanted to pay that shop a visit atleast.

Anyway I went to Record Hunter & Triple Six Record Shop. Triple Six is a nice shop with more CDs than LPs. Record Hunter is amazing..lot of variety! Punk, indie, OSTs, prog rock, extreme metal, jazz fusion. And the owner has a lot of Japanese pressings as well.

I got 4 records tuesday :)

1) Peter,Paul and Mary - First album (Mono)
2) A 45: Peter and Gordon - Lady Godiva/Morning's calling
3) A 45: Jimmie Rodgers - Thier Hearts were made of spring/Honeycomb
4) A 45: The Beatles - Come together/Something

Its sad.... The peter,paul and Mary album was not taken care of well... It has a warp in one side (First song) so I have it in VISE GRIPS downstairs (with protective covering) and its been in there for 8,9 hrs now..... I went to check on it 1 hour ago and the warp had come out but it still wasnt flat........ It didnt skip initially but I still wanna get the warp out if I can..... (I tried hot water over that spot and nothing (Its slightly thicker material))

Another album I saw in the collection HAD A WORSE WARP!! -- I told the ppl that worked there that probably no one would want that so he threw it out.....

Its sad,salvation army should check stuff that comes in!! (Or the idiots that bring it in should!!)

Finally got some Ravi Shankar LPs. Bought them from a gentleman in Chandigarh. Few more are on their way.

Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan with Alla Rakha ? In Concert 1972 (SAPDO 1002, Apple Records, 1972 Indian Pressing)

Ravi Shankar - Improvisations And Theme From Pather Panchali (EALP 1288, His Master's Voice, 1964 Indian Pressing)

Yehudi Menuhin And Ravi Shankar ? West Meets East (ECSD 2536, EMI/His Master's Voice, 1976 Indian Repress)

Attachments

• IMG-20151103-WA0005_1446694025992.jpg
    IMG-20151103-WA0005_1446694025992.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG-20151103-WA0009_1446694075928.jpg
    IMG-20151103-WA0009_1446694075928.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG-20151103-WA0011_1446693997521.jpg
    IMG-20151103-WA0011_1446693997521.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Here are some of the records I purchased recently:
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
The Who - Tommy
Donny Hathaway - Extensions of a Man
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Fritz Reiner & the Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Scheherazade
Can - Ege Bemyasi
Can - Future Days
The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!
T.Rex - Electric Warrior

Received some 30 odd second hand LPs. I generally never buy in bulk..but this was an exception. Now to sit and catalogue :yahoo:

a0a3k3.jpg

The luck smiles upon me again.:eek:hyeah:

A grand haul that includes some un-obtainables like :

Padosan
Alibaba 40 Chor
Joshila
Chor Police
Naram Garam
Karz
Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja (OLD)
Hum
Baaghi
Jheel Ke Us Paas
The Burning Train
Aandhi
Adalat
Inquilab
Bemisaal
Tridev
Hum Sab Ustaad Hai
Amar Prem
Hath Ki Safai
Geeta Dutt
Haste Zakhm
Trishul
Teesri Mazil
Rajkumar
Tum Se Achcha Kaun Hai
Ravi Shankar and Ustaad Bismilaah Khan

Total records are about 450.

Steep prices but all records are in excellent to mint condition with double wrapped covers.

I'm as happy as Mr Kejriwal is, while criticizing the PM. :)

Scored these couple of days ago, thanks to FM shafic

Phil Collins - Face Value
Bryan Ferry - The bride stripped bare
Ralph McTell - Revisited

Here are some of the records I purchased recently:
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
The Who - Tommy
Donny Hathaway - Extensions of a Man
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Fritz Reiner & the Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Scheherazade
Can - Ege Bemyasi
Can - Future Days
The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!
T.Rex - Electric Warrior
I also have a copy of tommy by The Who and ege bamyasi by Can and both are just great.
5b0370f1a0cbfb77e24d0d44121dca9a.jpg

Sent from my Micromax A350 using Tapatalk

Few LPs which I am enjoying listening to now
Deep purple -Burn
Santana- Abraxas
Queen- Jazz
e477422a2cf1725e9763cdd558fdf8b1.jpg
b13361a82816c2d3cf7588a546dec203.jpg
c37416810e57a09ec908eac0c8cbce64.jpg

Few LPs which I am enjoying listening to now
Deep purple -Burn
Santana- Abraxas
Queen- Jazz
e477422a2cf1725e9763cdd558fdf8b1.jpg
b13361a82816c2d3cf7588a546dec203.jpg
c37416810e57a09ec908eac0c8cbce64.jpg

Sorry for the Queen duplicate photo, still trying to delete it.New to this app.

Bought 4 LP limited edition Box Set of Veer Zara.

The new version is yet to hit the market place. I got a pre-release for a special price of Rs 3,300. The MRP is Rs 4999 and should be available from usual online and record shops in next few weeks. The only catch is I will physically get it once full market release is done. The pressings are dated July 2016 at Germany.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back