Your suggestions please on my sound system purchase

nk33333

Hello

Good morning all. I am new to this forum and I am glad I joined this .many brands people mention here are news to me . I request advise from experts on this forum for my purchase for which I am very thankful.

Here is the background. I currently own Sony 46" 3D LED tv. I also use WD LIVE HD MEDIA PLAYER to play HD movies downloaded from torrents. I also have an extensive collection of mp3 songs.I also have a Sony bluray player.

While my HDTv is very new, I have a very old Sony home theater in a box system which is 8 years old. It does not support digital audio input/hdmi/USB/ iPhone playback. It has 5 speakers and plays dvd.

Now I am thinking of moving to a good AV receiver with separate speaker set to

WATCH HD MOVIES IN SURROUND EFFECT WITH GOOD AUDIO.

LISTEN TO MUSIC FROM USB OR FROM IPHONE.

I have checked few options such as Onkyo/Denon/ Harmon Kardon / Bose and speaker options such as onkyo/ elac/energy/ Polk etc.

These may not be as advanced as some of the options discussed by this forum users but I found the onkyo/elac combination sound well. Onkyo nr515 and elac speakers are quoted at 1.3 lac by modern world Bangalore .

I request advice on the following:

For my above requirements, what av receiver and speaker combination do you suggest and why?

Budget around 1-1.5 lacs.

Many thanks in advance .

Hey, I'm very new to the forum and to Hi-Fi. I'm trying to put together my first system too. I have auditioned a few systems in Bangalore. I have checked out Onkyo, Denon, Polk & Energy so far. There are attractive discounts going on Boston Acoustics A26 and Wharfedale 10.2 on HiFimart. I have no experience to recommend any system but I thought can share what I am looking at and also this quote I got from Onkyo Wonderland for an Onkyo AVR+Energy system.

AVR - Onkyo NR525
Front - Energy CB-10
Surround - Energy CB-5
Center - Energy CC-5
Sub - Energy ESW-10

The setup sounded awesome to me (in the store, though). They quoted 95K for this full system. You can save ~10K if you opt for an 8" sub. I found it attractive, only, I'm more inclined to buy a Denon AVR and not Onkyo (Denon x1000 costs ~45K and has Audyssey XT). Also, I'm not planning to purchase the full system just yet. Am just looking for an AVR/Integrated Amp + Good bookshelves.

Hope this helps! The gurus can give you MUCH better advice, though.

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

1. For NR515+ Energy = they quoted 1.22Lacs. where did you get this quote?

2. Have you checked out Elac ? Elac is German while Energy is Canadian. German Audio is supposed to be better. What do you think? I found Elac to be very good along with NR 515.

3. Why are you looking at NR525 instead of NR515. Whats the difference?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

1. For NR515+ Energy = they quoted 1.22Lacs. where did you get this quote?

2. Have you checked out Elac ? Elac is German while Energy is Canadian. German Audio is supposed to be better. What do you think? I found Elac to be very good along with NR 515.

3. Why are you looking at NR525 instead of NR515. Whats the difference?

Thanks in advance for replies.

This quote is from Onkyo Wonderland in Forum Value mall, Whitefield.

Yes, I auditioned Elac bookshelves (same store). They sounded great too, especially the higher notes. According to the salesguy, these are supposed to be easier on the ears vis-a-vis Energy. The bass was better in the Energy, I felt. Again, I'm very new to Hi-Fi, so, don't go with what I say.

NR525 is a 5.2 channel receiver, NR515 is 7.2 channel.

Also I heard tower speakers deliver better sound than book shelves.

That is what I understand too, in general. But, I don't have the space for towers. So, looking for bookshelves instead. Am trying to go through the discussions on the forum and audition as many of them as possible. To be honest, I am even trying to understand what I want :p

I'm planning to audition the Polk RTiA3 and Wharfedale 10.2 soon. Let's stay in touch!

Last edited:
If u have equal usage of Home Theater for movies and music I will suggest to go for Yamaha or Marantz AVR.....Then after finalizing the AVR audition Dali, PSB, Klipsch, Paradigm, Martin Logan with your selected AVR....and then decide

Abhijeet

Thank you.

Which AVR of Yamaha or Marantz do you recommend?

How are they better than Onkyo?

Thanks again.

Both suggestions by Abhijeet are 7 channel. Go for 5.1 which will will be much cheaper. Yamaha 473 or 373. 7.1 does sound a little bit better but its your call if you find it worth the additional cost. You will have to factor in cost of an additional pair of speakers and cables. Of course, you can connect 5.1 now and later add two more speakers but you will then run the risk of similar speakers not being available when you want two more!
Check this out.
Beware of Onkyo's rather confusing nomenclature. The 525 is 5.2 but the 515 is 7.2!

You have a Yamaha Music Station in B'lore:
Yamaha Music Station
209-C, First Floor, HBR Layout,
1st Stage, 2nd Block, Bangalore - 5600043
# +91-080-25445844

Both suggestions by Abhijeet are 7 channel. Go for 5.1 which will will be much cheaper. Yamaha 473 or 373. 7.1 does sound a little bit better but its your call if you find it worth the additional cost. You will have to factor in cost of an additional pair of speakers and cables. Of course, you can connect 5.1 now and later add two more speakers but you will then run the risk of similar speakers not being available when you want two more!
Check this out.
Beware of Onkyo's rather confusing nomenclature. The 525 is 5.2 but the 515 is 7.2!

You have a Yamaha Music Station in B'lore:
Yamaha Music Station
209-C, First Floor, HBR Layout,
1st Stage, 2nd Block, Bangalore - 5600043
# +91-080-25445844

Hi, any particular reason why you'd recommend Yamaha 473 over Denon X1000 other than the 4K pass-through in Yamaha? Also, how would you rate YPAO against Audyssey MultEq-XT? The Yamaha seems to save ~12K over the Denon, though. Useful savings.

Its not about 5.1 or 7.1 my friend....definately you can add two more speakers but its about power and features that a high end AVR has...
Yamaha 673 has dialogue lift feature which is impressive and it has got maximum power output in RXV series.....
And since NK33333 has got of budget of 1 to 1.5 lac then he should go for high end AVR...

Hi, any particular reason why you'd recommend Yamaha 473 over Denon X1000 other than the 4K pass-through in Yamaha? Also, how would you rate YPAO against Audyssey MultEq-XT? The Yamaha seems to save ~12K over the Denon, though. Useful savings.

No reason except that i am familiar with Yamaha but not with Denon. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my post. I find the YPAO quite effective.

Its not about 5.1 or 7.1 my friend....definately you can add two more speakers but its about power and features that a high end AVR has...
Yamaha 673 has dialogue lift feature which is impressive and it has got maximum power output in RXV series.....
And since NK33333 has got of budget of 1 to 1.5 lac then he should go for high end AVR...

I stand corrected, Abhijeet.

Thanks very much. I will check out 673 . Yahoo music center in indiranagar is shifting this week and I will compare this with Onkyo AVR.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back