1.5 tonne split air conditioner... urgent.!!!

theironhorse

HI,

after setting up with my lcd and home theatre... looking for a 1.5 t ac now..
urgent buy...!!! climate heating up.....

measurement :

10 x 20. hall.

no direct sunlight to the whole house.

only area where i get sunlight is the slave bedroom. (7 am-11 am)

2nd floor flat. building upto 4 floor. house is generally cool even if it is hot outside. however ...still need an ac.

chked for few model in cpl of shops in hyd :

hitachi (33 k ) 1.5 t split ac 5 star.
RAU018HQDP
1.5 TR-Class Htachi Split ACE CUTOUT RAU018HQDP 1.5 37550

whirlpool ( 29 k) 1.5 split 5 star.

lg & samsung also close to 28-30 k (5 star).

help urgent.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Last edited:
i m pasting my flat setup..as of now lookin for the ac only for hall** also i mentioned i do not get any sunlight at all ** house is generally cool** wud u still suggest a 2 t. ??

Last edited:
If you have finalized the above models, then
1. Hitachi
2. Samsung

The prices seem pretty high, itz okay at least if you are getting the stabilizer and installation for free.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For your room size a 1.5 ton will do the job as your added advantage is that there is no sunlight, only thing is that for around 15 minutes you will have to keep the fan on at high speed and your job is done.

I have 3 Hitachi air conditions in my house, and in my other house i have Daikan, i am just too happy with these brands with least problems. There will be other brands also which maybe good of which i am not aware.

Earlier i had only one Hitachi in my house, i was so happy with it that i bought 2 more for the living and bedroom.

V.

I'd strongly recommend Hitachi. In fact even a 1.2 tn would be enough for you considering the room environment.

Agree with Vinay, venkatesh and Kneo who have suggested Hitachi. I have a 1.2T Hitachi in my HT and it cools by 12.5 x 15ft effortlessly. Trick is to run first 15 mins in high and then it chills even when the fan is set to 1 (Max is 3 IIRC).

Agree with Vinay, venkatesh and Kneo who have suggested Hitachi. I have a 1.2T Hitachi in my HT and it cools by 12.5 x 15ft effortlessly. Trick is to run first 15 mins in high and then it chills even when the fan is set to 1 (Max is 3 IIRC).

Ironhorse : I fully agree with the trick santhol has suggested.one more observation which i want 2 make is about the star rating.u have mentioned the costs of 5 star ACs only.Pls note the cost benefit of a 5 star rated AC will be felt in ur electricity bill only if the AC is run for at least 6-8 hrs a day.Just check ur usage.If u want 2 keep the AC switched on for say 2 hrs a day then i think there is no point in spending more on the AC.2 star rated AC will be much cheaper than a 5 star rated one.I myself xperienced this since the last month i myself researched on ACs thru websites and various delears here in mumbai.Finally I bought a 2 star rated Voltas classic split AC..which came 2 around Rs 22K...much much less than the 5 star rated one....

Last edited:
Well i just bought a whirlpool aviator 5 , will get it installed in a few days.

Was considering hitachi but it was 1.2 ton and feedback for service was doubtful.

So i went for whirlpool spent 32k for the same

i m pasting my flat setup..as of now lookin for the ac only for hall** also i mentioned i do not get any sunlight at all ** house is generally cool** wud u still suggest a 2 t. ??

The generic calculation is 1.0 ton for 130sft, 1.5 for 180sft and 2 ton for anything above.

Clearly by your drawing the area is MORE than 230-250 sft. (you have the hall opening into the passageway to the kitchen, bathroom service area etc. )

There is no way anything less than a 2.0 ton will do!

Anything lower - you will run the risk of your compressor running endlessly. Would you get a smaller machine and then run it at 100% of its capacity all the time (please bear in mind NO MACHINE is designed for that!) .. or would you rather get a slightly bigger machine and run it at 60-75% of its rated capacity. If you do the former how long do you think it will last? The two tonner - cutting off periodically will consume a lot less electricity than a 1.5 tonner chuffing away all the time - not to mention the former will outlive the latter by a HUGE margin!

There is a third dimension to this - namely ceiling height - Area required for cooling = Length x Breadth x Height! Being a flat I am assuming its the standard 10.5-11 ft.

If you are going to use this for just a hour or two every day - then get yourself the 1.5. But for anything longer than that please get yourself the 2.0!

Lastly if its your own house - then don't compromise ... Please buy a Hitachi at the very least! (and Daikin at the other end of the spectrum if you want to spend the money) It will give you years and years of trouble-free service!

Absolutely WRONG Sujit.

Read the thread on the 1 ton A/C suggestion to correct yourself. I can't go on explaining the basics here all over again.

1.5 TR machine is a perfect fit for this spec room. Go ahead with that without any second thoughts .......

Absolutely WRONG Sujit.

Read the thread on the 1 ton A/C suggestion to correct yourself. I can't go on explaining the basics here all over again.

1.5 TR machine is a perfect fit for this spec room. Go ahead with that without any second thoughts .......

:rolleyes:

Looks like I have been fed a whole lot of poppy-cock by the "knowledgeable-25yrs-in-the-A/C business" firm!

I have a 12 x 20 bedroom..and I have a 1.5 tonner in it. I was having some cooling issues - I kept telling him that his ppl installed it wrong and how it needs checks for leaks.. while he gave me all that gyan trying to tell me how I need to swap it our for a two tonner!

thx guys for the help..i have now finalized for hitachi..however i wud still try for daikin.. m not goin for o general due to lack of servicing centres and its an overkill for the conditions i have.. however if any one can help me with dealer of daikin in hyderabad.. if not i will go for hitachi.. also chkd today... 36k hitachi the guy is giving me installation and the stabilizer free...

also i will be using it for max 4 hours in a day..1-2 hrs in the day and 2-3 hrs in the night**

Last edited:
@ Sujit
Mark my words ..... I am yet to come across any knowledgeable A/C retailer or service personnel who give a damn to psychrometrics. Even if some have studied those in the past (in College), no one actually make any use of it. They still damn well follow the basics prevalent in the 1980s that the compressor should not operate continuously, and require some rest. So, would always suggest for a higher capacity model which would run on-off, not realising the fact that on-off creates a huge surge of electric current.... amperes. There is a starting current that is measured and there is also a running current. In a 1.5 TR machine, whatever little I can recollect, the starting current is @ 9 - 10 amps while the running current is @ 3-4 amps. Other than that, the other thread details out what exactly happens when the A/C runs continuously .... and the sizing.

@ Ironhorse
Hitachi is definitely a better choice than Samsungs / LG. Very good built quality ....... well, you are paying extra for that. It however does not mean that the others' cooling would be worse than that of Hitachi ..... 1.5 TR is abso fine for your room.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back