1 speaker : : 2 Amps

hey surateep,
got to work on your system :D
Dont you see the guys in showroom "bend" and change wires frequently.. of course, for our moolah.

Regarding switch, let us say i (or somebody else) am using a 4k worth speaker wire each side... will i put a 100-200 rs switch in the way of these wires.
what would be the effect on quality..
As is said the chain is as strong as its weakest link.

Let us see what Venkatji and other suggest.

regards

I agree - best setup is a separate system for movies and music. But new problem is how to share the sub.

Though I agree in principle to the objections raised, sometime we have to be practical in life. I am speaking to my service engineer here, and have asked him to use the best quality binding posts and have a very short run inside the box. That way the switch itself will raise very little resistance to the whole set up.

Cheers

Though I agree in principle to the objections raised, sometime we have to be practical in life. I am speaking to my service engineer here, and have asked him to use the best quality binding posts and have a very short run inside the box. That way the switch itself will raise very little resistance to the whole set up.

Cheers

thanks venkat sir. Appreciate this. I am sure a lot of guys on this forum would be overjoyed to hear this.

Cheers

Thanks venkat sir for helping us in this issue of 1 speaker - 2 amps. waiting for your custom made switcher, which you spent your precious time for making this.

One thing that needs to be ensured is that switches are of extremely high quality- I don't know any particular brand, type or material for the intended application but the biggest problem is that almost all SPDT and DPDT switches come with poor quality internals and routing audio signal through them is something we need to avoid. Also carbon forms due to switching action and minor arcing accelerating damage. In a place like Chennai, humidity is another factor we need to consider if we are to expose the speaker wire midway between the amp and speakers in a switch

But yes, if you are able to find good quality switches, I am sure this will help a lot of people. I myself know a couple of friends who need something like this quite badly. Keep us posted

More importantly, such a device would help people explore the magic of stereo by just having to buy a stereo amp and not having to buy source components or speakers again. I think that alone is worth undertaking this project. All the best and do keep us posted

Last edited:
but this switch would be manual as well? means get up and flick the switch? Some time/ effort saved over switching cables, but not completely.

For subwoofer too the same switch may be used? If you have a sub with a remote, maybe you won't need it as to your hifi system you would connect with speaker level, while for ht you will connect line level?

regards

Venkat - I am also joining the queue for a solution that can do this. In fact I would be overjoyed if this solution can also support biamping - but I can live without it even if it can do switching:).

And Venkat - a big thank you from my side to you is in order! I got a NAD C372 from one of those Dubai shops that you gave directions for. I will get it later on this month and look forward to enjoying them. Thanks again a bunch.

Folks,

I have some good news.

I did some searching, found a good design (look for QED SS21 in QED Switch Boxes qed ss20 qed ss21 qed ss30 qed ss40 qed ss50) and spoke to my service engineer friend. He say this can be easily made, and is even ready to use the parts I give him. So over the next two days I am going to go to Ritchie street and buy the best binding posts I can lay my hands on. I will then give them to my engineer friend and ask him to make the switch. I will work with a prototype and give it to someone in Chennai for testing. [I need a scapegoat :)]. If no one in Chennai agrees to being the scapegoat, we can look at Bangalore, maybe.

Once the prototype is approved, I can get a larger number made and sent to all interested members. Depending upon the price of the binding posts, I would estimate the final price to be around 1500 max. Contrary to what you see in the QED picture, the one my engineer friend makes will have a wooden box. He has also assured me it will not add any noise or resistance. So for all practical purpose, it will like connecting the amp directly to the speakers.

Cheers

Folks,

I have some good news.

I did some searching, found a good design (look for QED SS21 in QED Switch Boxes qed ss20 qed ss21 qed ss30 qed ss40 qed ss50) and spoke to my service engineer friend. He say this can be easily made, and is even ready to use the parts I give him. So over the next two days I am going to go to Ritchie street and buy the best binding posts I can lay my hands on. I will then give them to my engineer friend and ask him to make the switch. I will work with a prototype and give it to someone in Chennai for testing. [I need a scapegoat :)]. If no one in Chennai agrees to being the scapegoat, we can look at Bangalore, maybe.

Once the prototype is approved, I can get a larger number made and sent to all interested members. Depending upon the price of the binding posts, I would estimate the final price to be around 1500 max. Contrary to what you see in the QED picture, the one my engineer friend makes will have a wooden box. He has also assured me it will not add any noise or resistance. So for all practical purpose, it will like connecting the amp directly to the speakers.

Cheers

thanks venkar sir.............i can be a scapegoat too.......all the way from pune.

But seriously with minimal wire length inside and good quality terminals - even a 5% sound can be compromised for convenience sake. (IMHO I am 2 lazy)

Good news indeed Venkat,

You maybe able to find good quality speaker binding posts at the MX showroom in ritchie street. This is the shop along globe electronics, near the police check post and the iranian tea stall (do check out the tea out there if you haven't done so before- its part of a ritual of chennai audiophiles- no equipment shopping begins without a tea at that shop ). :)

Speaker 1 or Amp 2:mad::eek::cool:

Eek to bahot NAA-INSAFI hain Thakur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yahoo::yahoo::clapping::clapping::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::licklips::lol:

( Sorry for my sick sense of humour!! Like orignal MTV I am not known for my good taste!!!And Sholy's influence is too deep to wipe out!!)

Ab tera kya hoga re kaaliya!!!

:cheers::beer::signthankspin:

( No offence ment!!)

Last edited:
Some more Sholay :-

pata karo..
Yeh, kaunsi chakki ka atta khata hai..!!!:yahoo:

bahut karar raha hai !!

Kaliya, tu to meri goli se hi marenga !! :licklips::lol:

Last edited:
assuming the speaker end terminals are like WBT-USA and there are similar WBT or push-type connectors at the amp. end, could the more experienced members here suggest any issues if two pairs of cables ran from the amps to the speakers? one pair from amp. #1 to the upper connectors and the second pair from amp. #2 to the lower connectors, with the connectors shorted (each side) at the speaker end.

one, of course, would need to ensure that only one amp. was turned/powered on at any given point in time.

It would be better not to leave the speaker cable from an amp to the speaker connected EVEN if the amp is turned off since it would tamper with the impedance-Mr Shirke's advice, when this very question was asked of him.
Come in, cranky.

It would be better not to leave the speaker cable from an amp to the speaker connected EVEN if the amp is turned off since it would tamper with the impedance-Mr Shirke's advice, when this very question was asked of him. Come in, cranky.

In addition to this, even if you keep one amp powered off, the voltage from the working amp will flow to the powered-off amp as the whole circuit in terms of speakers connection is live. There is a good chance that this reverse flow of voltage could damage your powered-off amp. If by chance you forget to switch off an amp (after all, we are all humans), a lot of circuits could get fried.

It is best to isolate the system physically, and if needed through switches and such protective devices.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
Pls see this post by smedhavi - http://www.hifivision.com/what-shoul...estions-2.html

Do we really need a switch if we do it this way? Need your valuable input on this. regards

Anm, this is a standard method of using one amp as a power amp and another as a preamp. There are many people who need more power on the fronts, and that is powered by a two channel amp. This kind of connection is done using interconnects.

For this need you to have amps that have pre inputs and outputs.

But, what do you do when one of your amps does not accept a pre-in, and/or when one amp does not have a pre-out? I addition, for budget set up, people may not like to use an AVR at all, as the whole concept of getting a two channel amp is to 'avoid' the sound signature of the AVR.

Cheers

but in the given setup of smedhavi, the signature of AVR doesn't come into picture when playing music. It comes only into play when avr is used for movies. Am I missing something?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back