1 speaker : : 2 Amps

bazee

1 speaker : : 2 Amps : What to do ??

hello

I would like to share my speakers between amp and reciver, only the Fronts.

Can in anyway i can connect to a sort of switch which will direct the out put to speaker from amp or AVR...

Amp >>>>>>> spk
AVR >>>>>>> spk

2 amplifications into one paire of speaker, to be used alternate.

by the way i dont want to use pre-out of the AVR.

where to get it..

regards

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing this up.... I'm going through a similar dilemma.

AVR: Onkyo TX DS-474 (no preouts)
Speakers (front): MA RS1
Amp: Marantz PM7001

I havent yet bought the amp, but will as soon as the connections issue is sorted.

:sos:

welcome to the club....
My case: Onkyo 606 + Mission M35 + Norge 2000/Nad 325BEE.

Problem is Onkyo does not have prouts (actually it has L/R for zone 2) - norge or Nad does not accept preouts as line in.

And biggest problem is just 1 set of floorstander (not that i have space for more).

Solution is
1. Do a DIY
2. Get a technician ot do it for you
3. There is something that is available here - its from radioshcak and cost 2k - the speaker are connected to a board having binding posts. Every time you switch inputs i.e. amps - you just input the right amp wire into the switch. Actually not very convenient.

Venkat can help i guess - I guess that makes more than 3 who are facing the same problem.

Bazze and Saikat, this has been discussed in other threads.

What you have to look for is a simple switch that has two pairs of inputs on one side, and a single output pair on the other. A switch of some sort in between will connect the amp you want to the speaker.

Look for a good and reliable electronics engineer in your city, showing him the regular speaker connectors on your speakers and ask him to fabricate one. Should cost you around a 1000 Rupees.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Venkat,
Are they not available off the shelf? We are talking about speaker levels here, so what should be the safety guidelines? And how much noise will they introduce in the system?

regards

Thanks Venkat...that would be wonderful.

Just to complicate matters a wee bit further...

Can I bi-amp the speakers with the contraption suggested?... I have QED Silver XT bi-wire... and was planning to use the PM7001 (by activating A+B speaker output) to bi-amp the spekers. Normally it is possible, but what if I wanted to bi-amp with the amp and use it as a bridged connection with the AVR?

Last edited:
Just to complicate matters a wee bit further...

Can I bi-amp the speakers with the contraption suggested?... I have QED Silver XT bi-wire... and was planning to use the PM7001 (by activating A+B speaker output) to bi-amp the spekers. Normally it is possible, but what if I wanted to bi-amp with the amp and use it as a bridged connection with the AVR?

No you cannot. Bi-amp speakers have to be connected to the amps directly.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
Are they not available off the shelf? We are talking about speaker levels here, so what should be the safety guidelines? And how much noise will they introduce in the system?

regards

I think you guys are looking for one of these..

Rs:99

eBay India: Stereo Audio/Video Switch with Hi-Quality RCA Cable (item 170321411722 end time 22-Apr-2009 00:26:37 IST)

Rs:148

eBay India: 3 PORT RCA AV DVD PS2 AUDIO VIDEO GAME SELECTOR SWITCH (item 350191458146 end time 24-Apr-2009 09:27:34 IST)

Don't know of the quality!! But these are throw away prices and can be bought and tries out..

Again.. NOT SURE OF THE QUALITY! May introduce noise..

Thanks,

we do not want complications - just a simple contraption that can switch between inputs of two amp (reliable so that there is no accidental flow between two amps at any condition) - and a speaker.

There are quite a few guys who want such a solution - if someone fabricates a switch with good quality and reliability 1k should not be a problem. Such switches are available in the US but are generally 2 way 4 speaker combos or sorts at around 30-50 USD

I see at least 5 ppl interested here venkat ji

I think you guys are looking for one of these..

Blasto what you are showing are to switch between multiple sources. What Supra and other are looking for is to switch one pair of speakers between two amp. These will not have RCA sockets, but speakers connectors.

Cheers

One cumbersome solution is to run two pair of speaker wires ;
one from each amp.
And while switching, just change the banana plugs at the back of the front speakers. Here you dont compromise on anything.

regards

One cumbersome solution is to run two pair of speaker wires ;
one from each amp.
And while switching, just change the banana plugs at the back of the front speakers. Here you dont compromise on anything.

regards

the problem is who is gonna change that everytime - its a drag. The idea is to listen to music and watch movies - aisa chalega toh sab pada rahega - if you know what i mean

hey surateep,
got to work on your system :D
Dont you see the guys in showroom "bend" and change wires frequently.. of course, for our moolah.

Regarding switch, let us say i (or somebody else) am using a 4k worth speaker wire each side... will i put a 100-200 rs switch in the way of these wires.
what would be the effect on quality..
As is said the chain is as strong as its weakest link.

Let us see what Venkatji and other suggest.

regards

These selector switches are used for high impedance line level , i.e between line in and line outs of various devices that operate at 2.87V rms and typically several meg or kilo omhs. It is not advisable to use them in a low impedance application like speaker (connection between speaker and amp is very low impedance)

Also, yes Bazee is right. One of the worst things you can put between speakers and amp is a switch

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back