1st 5 go to metal/rock tracks for auditioning

Mayank Shah

Calling all metal and rock lovers.....which would be the first 5 metal/rock tracks that would be the first in mind if you were going to audition some new gear or at a friend's place on another setup? There would be millions, but something which you have to.

My picks:
Judgement Day / Whitesnake
Look for Truth / Iron Maiden
Heart of Steel / Manowar
Blackened / Metallica
Blood Red Skies / Judas Priest

This is not to start a preference war....but just a thread to share.

If it is a top 5 of hard hitting numbers, I would go with these:

Lazy - Deep Purple (intro has a great build up)
Iron Man - Black Sabbath (what's there not to love the opening notes)
Fuel - Metallica (sharp transients in bass notes)
Who Are You - The Who (Keith Moon's drums and Pete Townsend's raw guitar play)
Twisted Transistor - KoRn (pure noise; I have to hear this through without wincing)

There are more, but you asked for 5 :)
Cheers,
Raghu

Dream theater 6.00 o' clock is a great track to audition a sound system. Others I prefer are
Heavy - Collective Soul
Someone Else - Queensryche
Skin O' my teeth - Megadeth
Holy Water - Bad Company
Old Rose Motel - Great White...................oops!!! that's the sixth....stopping for now, as there are so many of them, the list will never end.
Someone else is probably the best audition material for vocals in the metal genre.

That is a song which I hear almost everyday, at least on my personal music player. Queensryche's Silent Lucidity too is a great track.
Yup...Queensryche is my 2nd fav band after Iron Maiden, Rage for Order & Operation Mindcrime being my everyday go-to albums.

DT 6 has some real crisp drumming and sharp double bass rolls.

A few tracks from AC DC like thunderstruck is sure to wake up any lethargic speaker.

QS tracks have real good bass reverb and depth.

Stranger in a strange land.......sacred ground.

Deep purple - Space Truckin......
DIO - Holy Diver
( Both have good punchy drumming and the rolls and stereo separation are exquisite)
White lion - When the children cry ( great guitar work, the slide of the fingers on the fret and the vocals.....great track to test)

Master of puppets / Four horsemen / Nothing else matters / Harvester of Sorrow - Metallica. Has all the material for testing. The last one will burn in the s*** out of any speaker.

Triumph - Lay it on the line
Survivor - Eye of the tiger.....both classic tracks for an audition.

I know, it's more than 5, but a little cheating allowed on subsequent posts.;)

Who knows, we could even compile a top 50 list for auditions. :D

My Top 5 tracks would be:
Metallica - unforgiven
Iron Maidan - Hollowed by thy name
Bullet for my valentine - tears don't fall
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant song
AC DC - Back in Black

Moreover, I won't buy anything which can't play Hotel California and Comfortably numb to my liking :)

Yes. Although we have our top 5`s (and many more), but the classic evergreen assortment of Hotel C, Money for Nothing, Wall, Comfortably numb, wish you were here, final countdown, stairway to heaven, eye of the tiger, smoke on the water..........are surely deciding tracks. Cheers.....keep rocking.

scorpions - alien nation, blackout and rock you like a hurricane for bass and vocals
iron Maiden - wasting love, hallowed be thy name, flight of icarus
nirvana - smells like teen spirit
Metallica - whiplash, whom the bell tolls, fuel, fight fire with fire
megadeath-peace sells, holy wars
def Leppard - love bites,rocket
rage against the machine - killing in the name of, guerilla radio, bomb track
van Halen - running with the devil

1. Show me how to live - Audio Slave. That kick drum!
2. Holiday - Scorpions, specifically the outro
3. Blood Brothers - Iron Maiden. Played on dual bass pedal. A highly underrated track of Maiden.
4. Still Got the Blues- Gary Moore. That wailing guitar is the voice of God Himself.
5. Love is Blind - David Coverdale's baritone voice.

Now that you asked only 5 :)

Had also mentioned that a little cheating allowed in subsequent posts....cheers. Maiden has a lot of under rated tracks. Most of the time Nicko can have the best double bass drummers a lot to think about. Unfortunately many maiden recordings haven't really highlighted the bass drums...many of maidens tracks are perfect to test the agility and timing of speakers. Janick Geers solo in B Brothers is probably his best. David Gilmour's guitar work is also very good for testing a setup.

Desert Rock : Kyuss : Green Machine
1000 Mods
Alice in chains (older albums)
Sound garden

Progressive rock : Camel ,Wishbone ash,Yes,Asia

Awesome rock instrumental bands : karma to burn,my sleeping karma ,naxatras....many Greek bands dominate this space...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back