1st 5 go to metal/rock tracks for auditioning

Spot on Mayank. Indian music deals mostly with more poetic subjects like love, girls, their beauty and little bit on sorrow from love failures.

Thats hard to take. Indian poetic subjects are not just love girls and their beauty. Indian music and writings are not about bollywood only where writers write crap and music composers compose crap these days, that doesnt mean all music is love and girls, agreed indians have a tendency towards relationships and emotions, but that should not be the end of that i think. Even we had great writers poets and musicians but commercialization ruined most of the good stuff and historically we became too obsessed with foreigners. We always had special place for music in our culture and heritage, we dont do it for entertainment only. Music is a way to reach God here. A place where instruments are worshipped. Anywhere you go in the world any music you listen, but the way indian music touches the soul, nothing does and nothing will, not surprising all the world is in awe of indian music. Indian music is the best music in my opinion. Whoever identifies with indian music indeed finds the real world.

Let's not make it "this" vs "that". Music is never binary.
The title is very clear, top 5 rock/metal tracks for auditioning.
Cheers,
Raghu

Spot on Mayank. Indian music deals mostly with more poetic subjects like love, girls, their beauty and little bit on sorrow from love failures. But rock/metal songs deal with a wide variety of subjects which includes all the realities of life, not just love and girls. I'm not saying Indian music is bad, they are absolutely wonderful. But we should listen to other genres too. MHO. There are music lovers who listen to only Hindi music, someone else who listen to only Tamil songs, some listen to only Malayalam and so on. They also mock other music. That's not right.
Woah @preth30, never meant it that way. OK. Coming back to the metal/rock tracks regarded good for testing a setup.......

Monsters of Rock - Judas Priest (drums/rhythm/bass)
Hysteria - Deff Leppard (drums/bass)
Nomad - Iron Maiden (@4:35 - the solo, bass and the subsequent drumming)
Crest of a Knave - Jethro Tull. The whole album. Flute, bass, percussions, vocals, flute is so wow
Master of Puppets - Metallica

Woah @preth30, never meant it that way. OK. Coming back to the metal/rock tracks regarded good for testing a setup.......

Monsters of Rock - Judas Priest (drums/rhythm/bass)
Hysteria - Deff Leppard (drums/bass)
Nomad - Iron Maiden (@4:35 - the solo, bass and the subsequent drumming)
Crest of a Knave - Jethro Tull. The whole album. Flute, bass, percussions, vocals, flute is so wow
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Crest of a Knave is a beautiful album, content wise and technically.
Cheers,
Raghu

The best Tull album,. I will never get tired of Steel monkey and Budapest. Have you heard Roots to Branches album?
Yes, same here. I stopped listening to other Tull albums ages ago. This one is simply the best. I do listen to R to B occasionally.
The flute work is exquisite.

[
Yes, same here. I stopped listening to other Tull albums ages ago. This one is simply the best. I do listen to R to B occasionally.
The flute work is exquisite.

Last good Tull album was Rock Island. Preferred it to Crest of a Knave. Found both Catfish rising and Roots to Branches a bit dull with no standout tracks.

To all the Tull fans out there, please check out the offerings from the Steven Wilson remaster project.
The older albums (70s) do sound very good.
Cheers,
Raghu

To all the Tull fans out there, please check out the offerings from the Steven Wilson remaster project.
The older albums (70s) do sound very good.
Cheers,
Raghu
I have the Aqualung, Songs from the wood, Benefit and Heavy Horses SW re-masters so far. Very tastefully done.

<snip>
Deep purple - Space Truckin......
<snip>
Really like the original, but Iron Maiden covering this song is something else.
Please listen to "V.A. Re-Machined (A Tribute to Deep Purple)"
There are some very good cover tracks on this album.
Space Truckin' - Iron Maiden
When A Blind Man Cries - Metallica
Smoke On The Water - Flaming Lips (this one totally took me by surprise, a pleasant one though)

Cheers,
Raghu

Careless Whisper......Wham and Seether.
Johnny B Goode...Chuck Berry and Judas Priest
Turn the Page....Bob Seger and Metallica

I am not too much into Metal but some of those which might almost make it there would be below..and I confess i am pretty limited

Smoke on the water- DP
Sweet child in time- DP
Highway Star- DP
Highway to Hell - ACDC
Where the streets have no name - U2

Really like the original, but Iron Maiden covering this song is something else.
Please listen to "V.A. Re-Machined (A Tribute to Deep Purple)"
There are some very good cover tracks on this album.
Space Truckin' - Iron Maiden
When A Blind Man Cries - Metallica
Smoke On The Water - Flaming Lips (this one totally took me by surprise, a pleasant one though)

Cheers,
Raghu
Nice pointer... and then there is Heart singing Stairway to heaven

Careless Whisper......Wham and Seether.
Johnny B Goode...Chuck Berry and Judas Priest
Turn the Page....Bob Seger and Metallica
@Mayank Shah
LoL, you are cheating left, right and center. You yourself must have listed 20-25 tracks.
Maybe you can ask mods to move this to Forums --> Source Material --> Music
And maybe change the Title to something like "List your favorite Rock/Metal tracks"
Cheers,
Raghu

@Mayank Shah
LoL, you are cheating left, right and center. You yourself must have listed 20-25 tracks.
Maybe you can ask mods to move this to Forums --> Source Material --> Music
And maybe change the Title to something like "List your favorite Rock/Metal tracks"
Cheers,
Raghu
:D I said cheating allowed on subsequent posts. 1st post is the top 5 only.

Nice pointer... and then there is Heart singing Stairway to heaven
Sometimes it is fun to hear your favorite band's music played/sung by someone else in a (completely) different way.
Makes the brain think, rethink and connect the dots. I call it "How to Avoid Alzheimer's Training"

For Floyd junkies, here are a couple that gives me kicks and grins every so often.
Music of Pink Floyd, Orchestral Maneuvers - David Palmer & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

The London Philharmonic Orchestra - Plays the music of Pink Floyd

Cheers,
Raghu

Sometimes it is fun to hear your favorite band's music played/sung by someone else in a (completely) different way.
Makes the brain think, rethink and connect the dots. I call it "How to Avoid Alzheimer's Training"

I agree. have you heard Sound of silence by Disturbed ? it has so many more layers and a kind of suppressed angst in it
"

Oh yes. David Draiman took the S&G melody to another planet.

Another great cover is Chris Cornell singing "Nothing Compares 2 U" at Sirius XM
A Prince track that he gave away to Sinead O'Connor, and revitalized by Chris Cornell.

Here is Chris Cornell and Santana covering Zepp's Whole Lotta Love
This one is just plain raw and visceral

Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back