2nd Chennai HFV Meet

i am not well in eng.iam in touch with the forum a while.i was interested in the first meeting itself.iam not able to attend.

Nagurum, between the 20 odd people there, I am sure we can manage in Hindi, Tamil, Telegu, and Malayalam. So you should be all right. And, this is a public forum. You are always welcome.

Cheers

+1 :mad:

Let me see if I could BS my boss a bit...

Add me too to the fool club! I too thought 20th and 27th fall on Sunday. My boss would kill me if I approach him for leave. If it is towards the evening, I can at least be there for half a session.

I will make some arrangements for the BDPs, at least let them be my representatives.

:sad::sad::sad:

Cheers,

Folks, 27th is confirmed. I have booked the conference halls in the club and will cost us Rs.4,500 for the whole day. If we have 20 members coming, it will cost 225 each which I think is decent. Food and drinks will be extra. I will arrange for a vegetarian buffet lunch that will cost 120 per head. If I have lots of people asking for non-veg, that can also be arranged.

I would request all members to bring their wives (only one allowed :)) and children (any number is ok :).

If needed, I can arrange with the club to allow young children to play in the swimming pool. Believe me, it is the best in town - half a Olympic size, and very very clean.

Those who are interested in drinking, please be ready to shell out some money. If will be inexpensive compared to the market toddy shops.

I shall post the update attendees and equipment list every night before I go to sleep.

The venue is

The GandhiNagar Club
73, 4th Main Road Gandhi Nagar
Adyar, Chennai - 600020.

As you enter the club, there will be a board saying 'HiFiVision Meet'.

I shall post a Google map reference some time later. If anybody else is good with fooling around with Google, please do so.

Cheers

PS, I chose Saturday so that you have one more day to make your wives and children happy by taking them out for shopping.

Cheers

Last edited:
iam a new bie to this forum .iam not well in eng.iam in touch with the forum a while.i was interested in the first meeting itself.iam not able to attend.but if u people permit me.i am very much interested in meeting u the forum peoples.plz count on me and plz inform very the venue is
Hi you are most welcome to join us and as Mr. Venkat mentioned we are a pleasant set of people and we shall ensure that you are comfortable.

TODAY's update:

ATTENDEES

1. svenkateshsmart
2. srinisundar + wife + HiFi Kid
3. psychotropic
4. gannyboy
5. Jeevabobby26
6. Venkatcr + (Charu)
7. Kamal (in spirit only)
8. Asit (in spirit only)
9. The Vortex
10. Gruby + 1
11. Capt. Rajesh + Wife + 2 kids
12. Swami 69
13. Tellranga
14. Sound Advice + wife
15. N. Muralidharan
16. Srikarkav + Son
17. Mohadmmed Naseer
18. nagurum1974 + two
19. Thad

Not counting our spiritual attendees, the headcount is 28. Now we are talking.

EQUIPMENT

1. Multiple BR Players
2. A DVD Player
3. Two speakers
4. Projector
5. Screen
6. A laptop
7. A turntable
8. Xtreamer Media Player
9. TViX Media Player
10. A hard disk full of movies and FLAC files.
11. tripath amp
12. valve pre-amp (courtesy TheVortex)
13. HTPC (TheVortex)
14. DACMagic (MadbullRam through TheVortex/Venkat to be confirmed)

LPs

Eye in the Sky - APP
Pink Floyd - The wall
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
Tracy chapman - Fast Car
George Michael - Faith
Nana Mascoury - A Place in my heart
Tanita Tikaram - ancient heart
Carpenters - Made in America
Carpenters - 24 classics
Sade - Promise
Dire Straits - (i think a mixture of songs)

CDs

Rock and pop CDs (Capt. Rajesh)
Raaga Symphony
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Carpenters - Best of
Dire Straits

Last edited:
I shall post a Google map reference some time later. If anybody else is good with fooling around with Google, please do so.

Cheers

Venkat,

Here it is

map1u.jpg

73, 4th Main Road Gandhi Nagar Adyar, Chennai - 600020 - Google Maps

Last edited:
Hi venkat,

You have not added the WD TV Live in the equipment list. Should i bring it?

cheers,
sri

I am very happy to see so many members queuing up for our upcoming meet. And looking at that equipment roster is bound to bring a smile on many faces. Still I have a concern. And the concern is to map out an agenda so that deliberations and discussions may be avoided in the meeting itself. I think that is critical given the amount of equipment being brought by various people.

Venkat - I have a question for you:

How big is this room you talk of? If it is very large, I wonder if it would be a good place to listen to music - especially on the low powered tube amplifier.

Next about the equipments and our objectives. I was thinking that we would mainly use this session as an experience session plus comparo in this fashion:

1) Listen to the Audire IO2 (single range driver speakers) through the tube amp to get a feel for the sound

2) Listen to the same speakers with the Tripath amp. I am sure this will be a first for many.

3) If a solid state amp were around - we could theoretically do a comparison between that and valve amplifiers with the same set of speakers.

4) Moving onto transports we can look at the PC as a medium of getting sound to the amplification system and sample its audio quality.

5) We can then compare the stock sound card's audio quality with that of the DACMagic (provided it is available).

6) I did not see a CD player in the equipment list. If somebody would be nice enough to bring a quality CD player (Arcam/Marantz/NAD) then we can also do a comparison between the CD player and the HTPC as a medium. I am sure a fair few would also be interested in this.

7) Lastly I did not see any solid state amplification being mentioned. If that were available then we could do a comparison between solid state and valve amplification with the same equipment chain.

Could the members chip in with their thoughts on what they want to be present in this program and what they could do without? I, for one, think that the above activity set may end up taking more time than we have in a day. Inviting all your thoughts.

Venkat: I have 350rs left from the previous meet. Do use that money if need be and I will pay u when I am back :)

I also feel too many equipments have been listed. Lot time will also go in setting up these and removing it. Do consider that. I think we should finalize top 5 things to do and achieve in this meet and keep the rest for the next meets.

Hi Venkat sir and Ram sir,

I can volunteer myself on setting up the systems and arrange them fast enough to make the meet up time more comfortable.

Last edited:
Hi Venkat sir and Ram sir,

I can volunteer myself on setting up the systems and arrange them fast enough to make the meet up time more comfortable.

I will also bring some amps and speakers with me.

Also, i have 12 way speaker selector/zone selector for a demo purpose and we can hook 6 pairs of speaker set to differentiate, would also like to drop it in the list.

Hello jeevabobby, I am sure others will chip in. But I think as it is the equipment list is very large. Surely, adding to the list may not be ideal. That is my thought. Lets go with whatever the majority has to say on this.

@TheVortex
Who is volunteering to be even manager? He is the person who decides what equipment comes and what is used, and runs the show. Things have to be done on fixed time basis.

I am not taking this up, as I may have to co-ordinate as a host with the club, run up and down and all that. In addition, I may have to ensure the wives and children are kept happy.

Bala, the halls are available to use from 10 am in the morning, and those of us with equipment can come a bit early to set things up. I have actually booked two halls. The smaller one is about 600 sq. feet, and the larger one is 900 sq.feet. I would guess the width of both halls to be roughly 25 feet. We can use either one for demo and listening, and keep all the crowd in the other hall. There is a large collapsible door in between that we can close if needed. We can set the demo room as a small auditorium with about 30 odd chairs facing all the equipment we set up.

@ Sri, we already have two media players. I am hoping the Event Manager will coordinate all the equipment and who brings what.

@Ram, can you call me or Bala sometime? Your mobile seems to be switched off. Bala and I were wondering how to coordinate with you regarding the DacMagic.

Cheers

Hello jeevabobby, I am sure others will chip in. But I think as it is the equipment list is very large. Surely, adding to the list may not be ideal. That is my thought. Lets go with whatever the majority has to say on this.

Hai Vortex,

Lets have a basic workable agenda, and if time permits we can also add some more available equipments.

My 2 cents.

N.Murali

@TheVortex
Who is volunteering to be even manager? He is the person who decides what equipment comes and what is used, and runs the show. Things have to be done on fixed time basis.

I am not taking this up, as I may have to co-ordinate as a host with the club, run up and down and all that. In addition, I may have to ensure the wives and children are kept happy.

Bala, the halls are available to use from 10 am in the morning, and those of us with equipment can come a bit early to set things up. I have actually booked two halls. The smaller one is about 600 sq. feet, and the larger one is 900 sq.feet. I would guess the width of both halls to be roughly 25 feet. We can use either one for demo and listening, and keep all the crowd in the other hall. There is a large collapsible door in between that we can close if needed. We can set the demo room as a small auditorium with about 30 odd chairs facing all the equipment we set up.

@ Sri, we already have two media players. I am hoping the Event Manager will coordinate all the equipment and who brings what.

@Ram, can you call me or Bala sometime? Your mobile seems to be switched off. Bala and I were wondering how to coordinate with you regarding the DacMagic.

Cheers

Venkat - as I mentioned over phone, my time with my laptop is now limited to a maximum of 1 to 2 hours because of a hand injury. Under strict orders from one-who-must-be-obyed.

So, I am not sure I would be a great bet to be the event organizer. I understand that you would have a fair bit to do with organizing the location. This is an opportunity though. Anybody willing to give it a try?

I also tried calling Madbullram. Could not reach him.

By the way what are your thoughts on the equipment list and agenda Venkat? Regardless of who is the event manager, I am sure members' suggestions would be taken into account.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back