37 or 40 inch Dilemma Size does matter?

spiderman

Hello Forum Members

The viewing distance between my Sofa and TV rack is about 160 inches or 4 meters. Looking at that distance I think 37 inch screen will be a right fit, but my friends recommend going with a 40 inch screen. My only fear is that the 40 inches should not be too much in your face and feel like sitting on a front row theater seat, besides I will have to live with the set for the next 5 years atleast.

I would like to hear from members what would be the right fit.

Spierman

4 meters is more than 12 feet, so 40" or 42" should be fine. u can go for that without any worry.

Hello Forum Members

The viewing distance between my Sofa and TV rack is about 160 inches or 4 meters. Looking at that distance I think 37 inch screen will be a right fit, but my friends recommend going with a 40 inch screen. My only fear is that the 40 inches should not be too much in your face and feel like sitting on a front row theater seat, besides I will have to live with the set for the next 5 years atleast.

I would like to hear from members what would be the right fit.

Spierman

Hey Buddy

Welcome to the forum...!!!

Your viewing distance is 4mtrs, that is almost 13.2fts...
And thats more than enough for a 42" Plasma...

Anyways, 40" Plasma is not available in the market, so prefer 42" Plasma...
And dont ever consider LCD, if your making the purchase for your Home Use...
Whatever maybe the gimmic in the market for the Plasmas or the hype for the LCDs.. but there are many hidden truths tht needs to be considered too...

So make a wise choice/decision..

Thanks

Mridul

well 40 or 42inch would be fine,u can even put a 46inch if u want.but if u are watching SD content a 40inch will do fine.

Thanks you all for your wise feedback. TV will be used primarily for SD content and 20% HD broadcast and DVD.

I think I will stick with 40 inches, now need to see some of the modles have have been discussed on the forum for the picture clarity.

Spiderman

Thanks you all for your wise feedback. TV will be used primarily for SD content and 20% HD broadcast and DVD.

I think I will stick with 40 inches, now need to see some of the modles have have been discussed on the forum for the picture clarity.

Spiderman

I know you indicated 40in but to not have remorse later I would suggest you even look at 50in. I sit about 9 ft away from my plasma and thoroughly enjoy SD content. The price may be incremental or if you even get a 720P it may work out fine.

Hmmm I would choose differently, i.e. best bang for buck and VFM. Bigger is always better at least in plasmas and LCDs though I am sure you will agree bigger is better for houses, cars, yachts, private jets and just about everything else too.

Just kidding, but to tell you the truth I have not found more screen estate to be limiting or a negative factor in anyway. My uncle has a 60" plasma and viewing distance is about 8-10 feet and it absolutely rocks in terms of PQ. In fact I find the 32" segment quite limiting myself.

Viewing distance for me is also between 7' to 9' and I am considering either a 40" LCD or 42" Plasma.

I did not have a plasma on my radar for various reasons, but with the amount of push I am seeing for the Panasonic PV8 on this forum, I am willing to at least consider it for now. Plasma, will still consider it, but really on a back burner because of its weight factor, power consumption and most importantly care to be taken during moves because of glass screen (versus LCD plastic screen). Hence, still tending towards the SONY S series 40" or Samsung 40" 550 series. SONY, the only limiting factor currently is the cost.

With the discussions about VFM and rapidly changing LCD technology etc. really questioning paying the premium for SONY currently which, anyways is going to be upgraded soon (new SONY models already out). So with a budget of around 50+- delta as max, would want the best bang for the buck in a 40" or 42" LCD / Plasma.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back