3D: Full HD Media Player+Streamer

sushantjapan

Hi Folks, Today bought Himedia HD900B. It played all the versions of 3D Movies. I had demoed it with Avatar 3D Panasonic Blu-Ray ISO file (>47 GB). Everything was great. Bought it for 1150 Yuan which is appx INR 9058/- today. GIEC was also suggested by my chinese friends, who said its having second position in market here, just below HiMedia. It was priced at 1050 Yuan, but its golden colour didnt impress me & considering my TV Wall setup, it was a no-no. Only thing which disappointed me was having the remote with chinese letters! I got a 3M 1.4 HDMI cable+ normal vedio cable+adapter.
Networking setup was quite easy. More experience I ll share later. & since it has DLNA also, will be very easy to tune with my 50VT.
Additional Info: (by my chinese friend, who has a lot of interest in these things)
No. 1 is Himedia, No2 is GIEC, No3: Kaiboer, No4: Egreat, No5: Eaget, No6: MyGica.
He said, build quality is almost same in all these, but support wise they were ranked like these.
Regards,
Sushant

thanks for the compact review. is any media player capable of 2d>3d conversion? like the panny 3dbd player bdt-110 is...

Thanks Xavior.
Dear rpm19050, Even Himedia 900B has also this facility, but havent used till date. Egreat R300 (RTD1186 based)also has this facility. However, the price is too much as of now. Almost 1.5 times more than Himedia 900B. I believe that all RTD 1186D chipset player will have it. If they are not providing it now, next level firmwares of same will have this facility. On my 900B, I had watched many 1080p (file size till 20GB) & 3D BD ISOs till 47GB. Only problem in BD ISOs is to select the right BD play option, I had faced till now.

How it compares with Prodigy, any idea? To me, feature wise both looks same (Detailed 3d format support not mentioned for any of those).

There was another thread for 900B "for sale by owner" and the reason for sale was 3d format support (SBS, frame squential etc).

Was there a FW update for 900B which sorted out this issue? I am also thinking of buying 900b as prodigy is bit expensive as compared to this one but want to make sure the issue mentioned for 900b is "not" there in case of prodigy. Request comments / opinion from the experts.

Thaks & Regards,

Amit

Last edited:
Its almost 1 week of buying this set. Frankly, I hadnot even checked prodigy features. I had compared it to other chinese players & evaluated the chipset. Also went through AVS forum on this product. Had chosen it based upon product reviews from US & other forums, & also based upon the chipset review. This has the FW ver 22 as of now & it had played 3D Avatar blu-ray ISO very nicely on the Pana VT20 & IMAX 3D. It claims to play all other versions like SBS too. However, I never tried. Infact collecting/ downloading only 3D iso. Am pretty satisfied with this & though there are still some glitches, like positioning of subtitles get changes by itself in the 3D isos. But hope future fws will take care of that. It was able to play the 3D ISOs even when it had fw 19.

As of now, all 3D media player are based upon Realtek 1186 chipset. So, specificationwise all these players are same. None more, none less. Xtreamer/ Himedia/ GIEC/ Egreat etc. Hardware wise, all basically are the same. Only thing that matters is brand image. Xtreamer is a good brand, & so, himedia is. Out of all these players, these two brands are known for updating/ improving thier Firmwares. SO, make a decision based upon price & firmware updation. Also see this link: iboum.com : Future Entertainment Technology : Chipsets in Media Players

Is there a media player that can also do torrents?

Right now I am planning to rig my wifi router (flashed to DD-WRT) to a HDD to use as a download rig. with a periodic manual sync (suggestions on automating this are welcome as well) to a streamer (yet to buy).

Right now I am planning to rig my wifi router (flashed to DD-WRT) to a HDD to use as a download rig. with a periodic manual sync (suggestions on automating this are welcome as well) to a streamer (yet to buy).

It has the torrent option. However, firmware 26 seems having some issue. They have uploaded a new FW today. I can let you know the results in a few days. You can also visit this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1367468&page=7

Media players like himedia hd600, measy x6, kaiboer all have torrent support. However, the torrent speed is reported to be slow.

Hi man.
Can you explain it to me that how we can rig a modem to a HDD to use as a download rig? It will be very useful for me.
Also where do you guys get your blu ray ISOs from? It has to be too heavy to download off torrents. Are there any good BD rental stores in NCR?

Thank you.

This weekend I had done a lot of experiments on HD900B in my home, Blr, India. Results: Played 3D movies fabulaously & external HDD/ Player didnt get heated even after playing 2 3D movies side by side for full 4 hours. ( Me n my wife watched one 3D continously while one friend family contributed for next one!) On Saturday, we watched some full HD movies, and old DVD ripped hindi classics of Dev Saab! (Alas, he passed yesterday). No problem at all. I have a 512 kbps airtel internet connection. Had setup wifi n watched many youtube hd vedios: some movie trailers/ big boss 5 episodes/ songs/ cookery vedios! no stuttering n amazingly no buffering time! flawlessly played all. 2D to 3D conversion: watched Captain America 1080p & Green lantern 1080p for some time in 2D to 3D conversion mode. Not satisfied, when I had watched genuine 3D movies already before! for that matter no other BDP/ TV can convert a 2D movie in 3D. I had seen the demo of pana BDP with this feature & was not impressed at all! Android: downloaded some apps from 4shared.com as its not having market installed. cumbersome. I have my tablet, which is again a chinese one: ONDA v30i w. I prefer that. I ll be in china again. will go n see the demo of C/ D also.

Philips HMP7000

Saw Philips media player HMP7000 today. Seller didnt have 3D tv, hence he couldnt demo its 3D feature. However, the product literature said it supports the 3D playback. It had all the functions what realtek RTD1186 chipset based players have, minus Android! Look wise it seemed awesome to me. Interface was also ok. So, android & absense of in built space for HDD docking were only cons for me in this player. Here is a link, which I found when I searched it on net:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hmp7000_12/hmp7000_12_pss_eng.pdf

This weekend I had done a lot of experiments on HD900B in my home, Blr, India. Results: Played 3D movies fabulaously & external HDD/ Player didnt get heated even after playing 2 3D movies side by side for full 4 hours. ( Me n my wife watched one 3D continously while one friend family contributed for next one!) On Saturday, we watched some full HD movies, and old DVD ripped hindi classics of Dev Saab! (Alas, he passed yesterday). No problem at all. I have a 512 kbps airtel internet connection. Had setup wifi n watched many youtube hd vedios: some movie trailers/ big boss 5 episodes/ songs/ cookery vedios! no stuttering n amazingly no buffering time! flawlessly played all. 2D to 3D conversion: watched Captain America 1080p & Green lantern 1080p for some time in 2D to 3D conversion mode. Not satisfied, when I had watched genuine 3D movies already before! for that matter no other BDP/ TV can convert a 2D movie in 3D. I had seen the demo of pana BDP with this feature & was not impressed at all! Android: downloaded some apps from 4shared.com as its not having market installed. cumbersome. I have my tablet, which is again a chinese one: ONDA v30i w. I prefer that. I ll be in china again. will go n see the demo of C/ D also.
Side by side 3D movies can be played by ABSOLUTELY ANY PLAYER/PC etc. I don't see this player supporting FS3D (HDMI 1.4 3D BR format)! Only thing I see on this player extra is 2D to 3D conversion which again any 3D BR Player support including most of the formats supported by this player.

Main USP of this player is FLAC and WMA Pro (hopefully lossless as well) playback! How much we can get this for?

Last edited:

thanks a lot sushant for this feedback ! after coming to know today that 900D's release has been pushed far again, i was feeling
myself again at crossroads. confused between prodigy, 900B and asus o'play air HDP-R3. prodigy is a bit costlier than 900B. need to decide quick.

Side by side 3D movies can be played by ABSOLUTELY ANY PLAYER/PC etc. I don't see this player supporting FS3D (HDMI 1.4 3D BR format)! Only thing I see on this player extra is 2D to 3D conversion which again any 3D BR Player support including most of the formats supported by this player.

Main USP of this player is FLAC and WMA Pro (hopefully lossless as well) playback! How much we can get this for?

thanks for this info ! now SERIOUSLY considering the O'play air as well.

BTW, sushant bought the 900B for ~9.5k.

Last edited:

Dear Prankey, I am Talking about 3D movie here. I dont like to see converted 3D movies. Whether converted by the player or done by the SBS/ T-B/ anaglyph. I had played 3d BD rip of Avataar (given by Panasonic) 47 GB on my HD900B. TV was Panasonic 50VT20D. It was awesome. simply awesome. there was not a single problem. Except some times english subtitles would dance. I dont know from where did u get the impression of its having just conversion! I ll advice you to check it if you happen to! You will be amazed.
Even the Panasonic guy whom I had called to check the 3D eyewear (it didnt work after 12 feet away from the TV), couldnt believe first that I was palying a 3DBDRIP thru a HDD Media player. On the 12 ft distance limitation he said that the TV & 3D eyewear can not support more distance. I hadnot checked that before as we usually use the front sofa.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back