3D viewing on normal LCD TV

Subcenter2009

Dear friends,

Not having experienced 3D TV so far, I have a wild doubt..

Is it possible to use a 3D enabled BR/DVD player to view 3D programmes on a normal LCD TV using the glasses that came with the BR player?

If it is possible to do that, then the folks here can save a lot of money and buy a 3D Blue Ray player rather than a Very expensive 3D TV.

If I remember correctly, there was a 3D serial recently on cable TV that could be viewed in 3D after buying red and blue glasses at neighborhood stores.

Hence the doubt which could save people a lot of money taking away the need for a dedicated 3D TV

What's the truth?

Yours,

Subcenter2009

There are ways to convert 2D to 3D, one of which is given by spiro above, but ideally speaking, a normal TV can not convert a 2D in to 3D, specially the active shutter or polarized version, may be the old conventional crappy red/blue anaglyph, but you would not even get a decent experience, not to mention eye strain/headache etc ...... so its better to stick to original 3D TV.

Even if you do want to convert 2D in to 3D, it has to be be done by the source (the player) itself and not the TV.

Yes 3D movies can be watched on a normal LCD or any "non 3D" display.
Any of the 3D movie DVDs listed here could be played in a normal DVD and watched with blue/red glasses in a normal "non 3D" display unit (Plasma, LCD, CRT).

To test it, take small red & blue transparent pieces of plastic/cellophane, hold them over your eyes and watch loads of 3D videos on youtube.

Subcenter2009,

You can easily add this functionality to existing TV sets. You need a 3D kit and a HTPC. 3D Kit includes Radio controlled goggles and a control module that will sit below TV.

Kit from Nvidia costs approx $150.

Dear friends,

Is it possible to use a 3D enabled BR/DVD player to view 3D programmes on a normal LCD TV using the glasses that came with the BR player?

Not possible.
3D TV FAQ | Crave - CNET

8. Do I need a new TV?

Yes. With one exception, none of the TV manufacturers we spoke with said that any of their current HDTVs can be upgraded to support the new 3D formats used by Blu-ray, DirecTV and others. One reason we've been given is that the TV must be able to accept a higher-bandwidth signal (technically 120Hz) to display Blu-ray 3D, and older TVs can typically only accept relatively lower-bandwidth (60Hz or less) signals. That's potentially confusing because many non-3D LCDs have 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates, and manufacturer marketing also mentions "600Hz" plasmas. Regardless of the "Hz" spec, these non-3D models can only handle a source that outputs at 60Hz or less via HDMI--the "conversion" to a higher rate, if applicable, occurs inside the TV itself.

Another reason is that 3D requires different video processing and additional hardware, including some way to send the necessary Infrared or Bluetooth signal to the 3D glasses. We're not ruling our the possibility of third-party add-ons overcoming these limitations, but as of now there's no way to convert any 2D TV to be compatible with the new 3D TV formats.

Dear friends,

If it is possible to do that, then the folks here can save a lot of money and buy a 3D Blue Ray player rather than a Very expensive 3D TV.

If I remember correctly, there was a 3D serial recently on cable TV that could be viewed in 3D after buying red and blue glasses at neighborhood stores.

Hence the doubt which could save people a lot of money taking away the need for a dedicated 3D TV

What's the truth?

Yours,

Subcenter2009

Dear Friends,

I have a 42" LG LCD HD ready 2D TV.

I want to watch 3D programmes on this set.

Is it possible? What should I do?

3D TVs are far beyond my reach and will remain so for the forseeable future.

But, 3D enabled BR/DVD players like those from SONY are far cheaper.

Some 3D Blu ray players come with polarising glasses (not Blue/Red ones)

can I use 3D BR players to achieve 3D on ordinary TVs using just this method?

Do I need a 3D DVD software?

Can I convert 2D DVD programmes into 3D using the said 3D BluRay player?

Thanks,

Subcenter2009:cool:

IMO
Side-Effects.jpg

dear subcenter2009,

3d dvds along with blue & red glasses available in local markets which can be watched on any tv/computer screens.

you may download "anaglyph" 3d movies from web which can be watched red & blue 3d glasses.

thanks & rgds,
shibu

Dear friends,

What's the truth?

Yours,

Subcenter2009

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back