42" Plasma : Panasonic C10 Vs LG PQ60 Vs Samsung B430

Which One?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@kneo : I saw PQ60 the other day in the LG shop, the ppl there had kept the DVD title menu on for sometime on the TV screen I guess, so when they played the movie I could still see the ghost image of the DVD title menu...may be a bad piece...but that made me a little skeptical as I'll be using TV for gaming a lot.

:yahoo: finally..I booked my 42B450 yesterday..will be delivered today or tomorrow...

:) as per current offers with samsung, I am getting SunHD (with one year subcription, metro+HD pack).. SunHD will be delivered a little later (about 20 days)..

So, Harneet, what is it you are settling for? Panasonic C10 or Samsung B450?

Yesterday, left office early to have a look at the Panasonics. People here have been recommending the X10 more than the C10. There is a price difference of 3K between the two. Frankly, on looking closely did not find ANY difference between the two models.

Just as in any CRT screen, in case there is any light source in front of the Plasma TV, the light image could be seen on the screen. Yes, it would be an irritant in case the light source is strong, but again, frankly, if the plasma TV is operational, then it really does not matter much. One usually ends up either switching on a dimmer light or shutting off the light source alltogether.

As regards the extra HDMI, I do not require it since the plasma won't be wall mounted. My TV would most likely be connected to my Pioneer AVR in such a fashion that my AVR need not be operational to view the TV (layman's language .... well, I am a layman). If I require HT sound output thru the 5.1 channel HT, then and only then the AVR would come on line.

So, now I need to seriously audition the Samsung 42B450. Price definitely matters. C10 is 35 K best offer from one source. The Kalkaji Panasonic Brand shop yesterday came down to 40.5 K for C10 and overall 34 K with exchange on my 2 year old LG 29" CRT. I am looking at a target price of 30 k for C10 with my LG exchange. If anyone accepts that, would jump in and join the plasma club.

Lemme know the best offer on the Samsung 450 in Delhi, if you have done any legwork.

So, Harneet, what is it you are settling for? Panasonic C10 or Samsung B450?

Yesterday, left office early to have a look at the Panasonics. People here have been recommending the X10 more than the C10. There is a price difference of 3K between the two. Frankly, on looking closely did not find ANY difference between the two models.

Just as in any CRT screen, in case there is any light source in front of the Plasma TV, the light image could be seen on the screen. Yes, it would be an irritant in case the light source is strong, but again, frankly, if the plasma TV is operational, then it really does not matter much. One usually ends up either switching on a dimmer light or shutting off the light source alltogether.

As regards the extra HDMI, I do not require it since the plasma won't be wall mounted. My TV would most likely be connected to my Pioneer AVR in such a fashion that my AVR need not be operational to view the TV (layman's language .... well, I am a layman). If I require HT sound output thru the 5.1 channel HT, then and only then the AVR would come on line.

So, now I need to seriously audition the Samsung 42B450. Price definitely matters. C10 is 35 K best offer from one source. The Kalkaji Panasonic Brand shop yesterday came down to 40.5 K for C10 and overall 34 K with exchange on my 2 year old LG 29" CRT. I am looking at a target price of 30 k for C10 with my LG exchange. If anyone accepts that, would jump in and join the plasma club.

Lemme know the best offer on the Samsung 450 in Delhi, if you have done any legwork.

35k for C10 is a very very good price. Get that sell your CRT seperately and Iam sure it goes for 3-4k.

B450 as I have seen, the price never comes down. Frankly, B450 is not worth 10k more than C10 (or 7k more than X10) and I own one.

FYI. When I went out to purchase, C10 costed same as B450 and X10 ~3k more.

If 3k does not matter, pick up the X10 instead. You will appreciate the anti glare screen more in home environments.

thanks BLASTO..
as of now..waiting for both TV and sunHD to get delivered.. I will surely update once it gets installed..and yes, as claimed in their website, it is 1080i..
The best thing is, I will be able to watch IPL in HD that too without ads.. :)

@kneo : I saw PQ60 the other day in the LG shop, the ppl there had kept the DVD title menu on for sometime on the TV screen I guess, so when they played the movie I could still see the ghost image of the DVD title menu...may be a bad piece...but that made me a little skeptical as I'll be using TV for gaming a lot.

I meant the PQ70 and not the PQ60. It's a newer model with all the frills (BT + better speakers + more connectivity options)

If the Panasonics are that good then why are their prices dropping so fast ...?

Is it the issue to 'increase in the blackness' that is affecting the plasma screens more, in case of Panasonics, as reported in some other thread giving info on a legal suit against the Jap company ... on cnet? OR has Panasonic dumped the C10 in such volumes that the dealers are being forced to liquidate old stocks to make way for newer models?

Why I am being apprehensive is bcoz had to dump Panasonic state-of-the-art inverter microwave oven some time back. As long it was working, it was a breeze ... just wonderful performance. But once issues crop up, there there would be NO hearings. Panasonic has NO after sales, so if there is a serious problem, no other way there but to dump the product.

Hence, checking with you guys to make doubly sure. Samsung and LG have really good set-up (after-sales).

And BLASTO, I could not make much out of the anti-glare coating on the X10. Both S10 and X10 images were identical...... !

If the Panasonics are that good then why are their prices dropping so fast ...?

Is it the issue to 'increase in the blackness' that is affecting the plasma screens more, in case of Panasonics, as reported in some other thread giving info on a legal suit against the Jap company ... on cnet? OR has Panasonic dumped the C10 in such volumes that the dealers are being forced to liquidate old stocks to make way for newer models?

I think both. I dont know why X10 is selling so less. But C10 definetely is dumped in huge number during diwali and the dealers were not able to sell. Panasonic cannot even sell it outside india if they intended as it is an india specific (read stripped down) model. X10 @ 38k is a good deal. Panasonic showrooms sell it still at around 47k.

Why I am being apprehensive is bcoz had to dump Panasonic state-of-the-art inverter microwave oven some time back. As long it was working, it was a breeze ... just wonderful performance. But once issues crop up, there there would be NO hearings. Panasonic has NO after sales, so if there is a serious problem, no other way there but to dump the product.

Hence, checking with you guys to make doubly sure. Samsung and LG have really good set-up (after-sales).

Panasonic is giving 3 year warrenty if Iam right. None of the others give as much. But agree, in indian scene, panasonic has poor after sales.

Between Samsung and LG, It is samsung eyes closed for plasmas.

And BLASTO, I could not make much out of the anti-glare coating on the X10. Both S10 and X10 images were identical...... !

X10 and S10? They both have the coating and will look identical only.
Only the C10 does not have it in the whole lineup. (including all of the panasonic, samsung and LG plasmas of 2009)
Have a look at the C10 swtched off. It will look light gray. While the X10 looks more of drak gray/black.
If you are mentioning the C10 actually, could it be a new version C10 came out? I don't know. My knowledge is ~8 months old.

sure harneet just let the supervisor know abt me..tell him aman jain.. we bought 2 lcds from there... 2jazz theatre 42inch one delivered at kukatpally and other at sainik puri...
this is my number 9885995309.. if u like some lcd...tell him and bargain and then buzz me up..will get it reduced more... also if u need any info do call me up ..day time..coz working in night shifts unfortunately..

forgot to mention the guy who is the supervisor for the lcd section;; his name is shridhar**he knows me quite well coz i bugged him a lot an bargained..also for ur info
we got one lcd paying 12 k and rest for 3k change every month for 12 month 0% intrested and the other one i swiped on my card..

42inch jazz theatre for 55 its the cheapest in the city ... in 55 other stores are offring only jazz thats the old model of jazz theatre and lacks many features..

older model was 500w pmpo this is 700 w pmpo and 5.1 virtual surround and usb support
older was 50hz this is 200hz true motion.. and what i felt in both of em is this is more colourful
also old jazz was 75000:1 this is 150000 : 1
5 ms on old one this is 2.4 ms response time..

he also got models from other companies do chk and lemme know... that guy also got hdmi videos so u can judge tv side by side..

Last edited:
Had some time to kill today, being a holiday, so wanted to have a look around the multi-brand retail outlets in South Delhi.

A crystal clear verdict from all .......
1. Plasmas are not upto the mark. Less life on picture tube.

2. Image is not very clear .... to the extent that at one place while me and wifey were having a look at a small screen LCD, the shop personnel deliberately fiddled with the 42" Panasonic C10 to make a mess of the colours. Thought, I was'nt paying attention! Next to the Panasonic was an LG 42" LCD. That was showing a bright, colourful image !!!

Now, why are the retailers shooting down the plasmas???? Are they getting lesser commission on sales in that segment?

Am still very confused and getting confused further .... but shortlisted models in Plasma are C10, X10, PQ60 and B450 ... Me thinks the actual procurement should happen just prior to Diwali ... there is no hurry as of now .... OR a 30K deal on 42" Plasma with my 29" LG CRT exchange. That should make me go for the new Plasma immediately.

So, what say guys?????

Had some time to kill today, being a holiday, so wanted to have a look around the multi-brand retail outlets in South Delhi.

A crystal clear verdict from all .......
1. Plasmas are not upto the mark. Less life on picture tube.

2. Image is not very clear .... to the extent that at one place while me and wifey were having a look at a small screen LCD, the shop personnel deliberately fiddled with the 42" Panasonic C10 to make a mess of the colours. Thought, I was'nt paying attention! Next to the Panasonic was an LG 42" LCD. That was showing a bright, colourful image !!!

Now, why are the retailers shooting down the plasmas???? Are they getting lesser commission on sales in that segment?

Am still very confused and getting confused further .... but shortlisted models in Plasma are C10, X10, PQ60 and B450 ... Me thinks the actual procurement should happen just prior to Diwali ... there is no hurry as of now .... OR a 30K deal on 42" Plasma with my 29" LG CRT exchange. That should make me go for the new Plasma immediately.

So, what say guys?????

Whats picture tube life BTW?? There are no picture tubes on plasmas??

Thats the lingo these guys use .... hehe .... Delhi shopwallas ... low on knowledge and more on pomp.

I must say, the Samsung B450 viewed sometime ago (evening 8.00 PM) was quite a sober, straightforward design. Very accurate colours, soft is the right word in comparison to the range of LCDs displayed. I am very impressed. The prices quoted however, were not to my liking ..... 48.4k and 49k. These are the again the multi-brand local market outlets.

Of the 5 shops visited none had the LG plasma, 2 had Samsung B450s and 2 had Panasonic C10s. Panacs quoted were 40.5K in one and 37K in another. Plan to visit the Saket Mall nearby and have a look there too. Still do not know as to why I am doing this legwork when mentally decided to do the purchase after 6 months.

This exercise reminds me of the bride hunting spree undertaken a decade ago .... :mad:

I purchased Samsung B450 earlier this month.

I would strongly advice against purchasing plasma TV from Samsung. Their after sales service is pathetic.

Here is my experience:

My TV stopped working in just 3 days. Raised complaint with Samsung. It turned out to be a faulty board.

Problem is Samsung is "Out of stock" for:

1. Replacement board
  2. New plasma panels

It has been 15 days so for and Samsung has not been able to procure parts that are required to fix the TV.

Directly working with Service head of Samsung for West Region (Kaaji Tanveer) but no one in Samsung was able to procure the parts. ETA for parts in Wednesday next week.

If Samsung needs 20 days to procure replacement parts for a Brand New TV, we can only imagine its support 4 - 5 years later.

Thats the lingo these guys use .... hehe .... Delhi shopwallas ... low on knowledge and more on pomp.

I must say, the Samsung B450 viewed sometime ago (evening 8.00 PM) was quite a sober, straightforward design. Very accurate colours, soft is the right word in comparison to the range of LCDs displayed. I am very impressed. The prices quoted however, were not to my liking ..... 48.4k and 49k. These are the again the multi-brand local market outlets.

Of the 5 shops visited none had the LG plasma, 2 had Samsung B450s and 2 had Panasonic C10s. Panacs quoted were 40.5K in one and 37K in another. Plan to visit the Saket Mall nearby and have a look there too. Still do not know as to why I am doing this legwork when mentally decided to do the purchase after 6 months.

This exercise reminds me of the bride hunting spree undertaken a decade ago .... :mad:

You are wasting your time.
None of these TVs are gonna be around when are about to purchase a TV after 6 months.
In a way similar to bride hunt.. :D :eek:hyeah:

I purchased Samsung B450 earlier this month.

I would strongly advice against purchasing plasma TV from Samsung. Their after sales service is pathetic.

Here is my experience:

My TV stopped working in just 3 days. Raised complaint with Samsung. It turned out to be a faulty board.

Problem is Samsung is "Out of stock" for:

1. Replacement board
  2. New plasma panels

It has been 15 days so for and Samsung has not been able to procure parts that are required to fix the TV.

Directly working with Service head of Samsung for West Region (Kaaji Tanveer) but no one in Samsung was able to procure the parts. ETA for parts in Wednesday next week.

If Samsung needs 20 days to procure replacement parts for a Brand New TV, we can only imagine its support 4 - 5 years later.

Wow another horror story..
I wish my TV does well for the next 5 years..

And don't worry.. I think B450 being replaced with the C450 is the reason for this. Wait for some time and demand the C450 if possible. Good luck.

think B450 being replaced with the C450 is the reason for this. Wait for some time and demand the C450 if possible. Good luck.

Trouble is, this would not be an option 7 - 8 months later. I.e. if anything else goes bust in TV.

In one of the conversations, a Samsung employee said "Plasma TVs are not that much in demand. We do not keep too much inventory of spares for Plasma.". For LEDs, they even had spare panels for 55 inch.

Even in my case they are importing that specific part and its taking 3 weeks.

Regional manager has agreed to refund the amount i spent on buying this plasma. I am done with Samsung plasma TVs.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back