42PJ560 coming home...

anoopes

My search for a plasma tv is going to end today. The much awaited 42PJ560is coming home today evening.

Its started on 21.05.2010 and it took 44 days. LCDs are available everywhere in thrissur, but it is not the case with Plasma. As i mentioned in my earlier thread, plasmas rarely seen in any shop. (http://www.hifivision.com/television/10087-my-adventures-buy-42-plasma-tv-thrissur-kerala.html)

Yesterday LG Shoppe people called me and i had a demo of 42PJ560 which is called as the "Jazz Plasma" model. They showed me SD content (Dish TV and DVD movie) and also some of their HD stuff (given by the manufacturer). It was quite good. The price quoted is 42000 and i'm opting for EMI... I'm also getting a new stabilizer and that will be the v-guard digi.

As mentioned in this forum, i'll be using the "cinema" mode with brightness and contrast at 50% (nothing else required, i guess. otherwise, pls inform). plus i'm also planning to run the break in slides.

special thanks to venkat, blasto and everyone in this forum who supported and encouraged me...

will get back with the pictures...

Anoop

Congrats Anoop! PJ560 is a nice one, with the speakers on the side. This model has the best sound and speaker setup amongst the new 2010 models in LG. You made a good choice!

I am considering a 50 inch and was planning for the 50PK550 but seeing the green pixel problem quite a few of them are facing, I may just go for 50PJ350 or 50PJ560. Let's see. I would mostly be going for EMI too (12 months with 4 months advance payment).

I am planning for the plasma around end July or early Aug.

Enjoy your new tv and please do post back here with your initial impressions etc.

Warm regards,
Venkat

My search for a plasma tv is going to end today. The much awaited 42PJ560is coming home today evening.

Its started on 21.05.2010 and it took 44 days. LCDs are available everywhere in thrissur, but it is not the case with Plasma. As i mentioned in my earlier thread, plasmas rarely seen in any shop. (http://www.hifivision.com/television/10087-my-adventures-buy-42-plasma-tv-thrissur-kerala.html)

Yesterday LG Shoppe people called me and i had a demo of 42PJ560 which is called as the "Jazz Plasma" model. They showed me SD content (Dish TV and DVD movie) and also some of their HD stuff (given by the manufacturer). It was quite good. The price quoted is 42000 and i'm opting for EMI... I'm also getting a new stabilizer and that will be the v-guard digi.

As mentioned in this forum, i'll be using the "cinema" mode with brightness and contrast at 50% (nothing else required, i guess. otherwise, pls inform). plus i'm also planning to run the break in slides.

special thanks to venkat, blasto and everyone in this forum who supported and encouraged me...

will get back with the pictures...

Anoop

Don't run the break in slides, just watch the tv at 50% settings and enable and anti burn in software that may be present like lixel shift. If needed stretch the images to the entire screen or use black borders.

I won't recommend running the break in slides of just running the tv for break in.As why not use the equipment and do break in, rather than just running it like that.

thank you guys...

was really enjoying the Plasma experience for the last three days.

I got the TV installed by 7 pm on Saturday. LG people were waiting for the confirmation from Bajaj Finance who provided the EMI facility. The entire process of getting that loan was hassle free. I handed over the required documents Saturday morning itself. Few telephonic calls to me and a short visit by their agent to my home. I got an sms by 6pm saying that my loan has been sanctioned. this was followed by a call from LG shoppe people inquiring about my correct location.

they reached by 6.30 and installation completed quickly than i imagined.

Then i changed to cinema mode and reduced contrast level to 50%. watched the world cup match between Argentina and Germany at 7.30. The Asianet digital box which i had in my home gave decent pictures than i expected. i changed the channels and most of them looked good.

i had purchased DVD of avatar almost one month back. I never wanted to watch that movie in my old CRT and was waiting for the Plasma. It looked really good and i couldn't resist myself changing to the default settings for cinema mode (contrast at 80% - little bit risky i know). I liked the colours and black level very much. i was very much delighted to enjoyed each and every scene of that movie. In fact, i was really carried away by scenes of Pandora rather than the story. My wife had earlier watched this movie in CRT and she said she never imagined abt this much difference.

i also watched "2012" and "Robinn Hood (Malayalam)". My family was really happy, especially my parents.

the only problem i had was with the glares on the screen. Since Plasmas are prone to the same, we don't have any choice for that, i think

now i really started thinking abt HD (blu-ray/HD broad cast). I thought, If digital cable or DVD can deliver this much, then what will be the experience with HD. I'm planning to take an HD DTH connection, if EPL is available in HD. I also thought abt Sony Blu-ray player, but decided to wait for some more time.

Anoop

I am considering a 50 inch and was planning for the 50PK550 but seeing the green pixel problem quite a few of them are facing, I may just go for 50PJ350 or 50PJ560. Warm regards,
Venkat

Anoopes, congratulations on your new plasma and enjoy. I think the big plasma bug is catching on me as well. I have a 32" Sharp LCD which i feel is too small for my living room. Hence i am planning to go in for a 50".

Venkat, i think i am also in a similar wavelength as you and would be interested in the models mentioned above as i would be happy with a HD ready 50" and could save some money. i will send you a PM on this so that you can look for a good deal from your known shop and we can work it together.

swami

Lg 50PJ350R could a good HD (1365 X 768) option costing less than Rs. 50000. Have a look at this and post your views please. Especially from HD telecast view point.

Congratulations anoop, guess you are already informed about the precautions to be taken in the break in period.... so sit back and enjoy your TV.

Don't run the break in slides, just watch the tv at 50% settings and enable and anti burn in software that may be present like lixel shift. If needed stretch the images to the entire screen or use black borders.

I won't recommend running the break in slides of just running the tv for break in.As why not use the equipment and do break in, rather than just running it like that.

i tried the break in slides on the first day itself, but was unable to get a full screen view. so after running 2 or 3 slides i dropped that plan

thank you guys...

was really enjoying the Plasma experience for the last three days.

Anoop

Hey Anoop

Good to know you're enjoying your new plasma! Way to go man. We got a 42PQ70 plasma last July and are still enjoying blu ray rips and DVDs on this TV which is installed at my parents' place. I saw the 2010 range of plasmas and they have definitely been improved compared to 2009 models, in terms of colour reproduction, black levels and most importantly, thickness of the panels! They are so slim and sleek now.

Yes; as for Avatar if you are so excited after watching the original DVD of the same on your plasma, try watching a blu ray disc of the same. You will be blown away!

Yup; 2012 is a nice movie to watch on the plasma too. Good special effects and sound effects especially in DTS.

Venkat, i think i am also in a similar wavelength as you and would be interested in the models mentioned above as i would be happy with a HD ready 50" and could save some money. i will send you a PM on this so that you can look for a good deal from your known shop and we can work it together.

swami

Hi Swami, replied to your PM in detail. Yes we can try and work out the plasma deal together if our purchase times coincide.

Lg 50PJ350R could a good HD (1365 X 768) option costing less than Rs. 50000. Have a look at this and post your views please. Especially from HD telecast view point.

50PJ350 for less than 50k ?? The lowest quote I am getting in Chennai for LG 50PJ350 plasma is about 52k.

---Venkat

one help pls

i've downloaded some MP4 videos from the net. I copied it to my pen drive. But when i tried to play using USB port of PJ560 , the video folder was empty. It recognized the USB device and all other contents (pictures and other folders/files) were shown correctly, but the folder where i stored the videos seems to be empty...

We got a 42PQ70 plasma last July and are still enjoying blu ray rips and DVDs on this TV which is installed at my parents' place.
---Venkat

Hi Venkat

can u pls explain abt playing blu ray rips?

thanks

Hi Anoop,

You are right about USB drive issue.....

I too own 42PJ650 and it too had same issue.....:eek:

Actually these models only recognise AVI format (DIVX,....) for watching movies.....:rolleyes:

So you need to convert any format into AVI to watch movies through USB....

Cheers!!!!:lol:

i tried the break in slides on the first day itself, but was unable to get a full screen view. so after running 2 or 3 slides i dropped that plan

Well the break in slides are 1920x1080 and through usb it does not scale properly in this 1024x768 display. So incase you need to, you may convert the slides using a batch utility to convert to 1024x768 and it will scale to fullscreen.

You can use something like this tool Batch Image Resizer - Resizing batch images quickly! to ease up the process of conversion.

Also what is the final price you paid as you had mentioned a quoted price.

Newbe78 is right. The USB port in your plasmas don't support the mp4 format. You would probably have the video in mp4 format and audio codec as AAC.

You can use XVID4PSP to convert these into DivxAVI format with AC3 sound, which will play through your plasma's USB port. Just search for XVID4PSP and download the latest version. This program can convert between formats.

Blu ray rips - well most of what I download is in MKV format, either 720p or 1080p, with AC3 5.1 or DTS 5.1 sound. I play them through the WD TV HD Media Player, connected to my 42PQ70 plasma through HDMI. The media player has an optical out which is connected to my Sony receiver and I get the DD 5.1 / DTS 5.1 sound this way. The media player does not have built in storage and has 2 USB 2.0 ports. It recognizes even 2TB external hard drives easily, which is what I do. I connect my external hard drives to the media player and play the files. I don't use the USB port on my plasma much as it is quite limited in its features and functionality.

Hope that helps!

---Venkat

Will this apply to Samsung C450 plasma as well as i guess it also has a usb port.
So do we need a conversionfor that also?

Btw how much is 42PJ560 and 650 currenty dealing at as i plan to check the out as well before the purchase.

Can you try playng MKV files through USB?

@Mehul: The USB ports on the PJ series plasmas do not play MKV files.

Will this apply to Samsung C450 plasma as well as i guess it also has a usb port.

Btw how much is 42PJ560 and 650 currenty dealing at as i plan to check the out as well before the purchase.

@Harry:

Not sure about the USB port on Samsung plasmas. I am purposely avoiding Samsung plasmas due to their indifferent sales attitude. It's sad especially considering they have good plasmas. But they are just not interested in selling them. And they are not helpful in giving a demo etc even at their own showroom, leave alone other retailers. All these guys wanna sell are so called LED TVs and LCD TVs.

Anyway I will most probably be picking up an LG 50 inch plasma sometime in Aug or Sep max. I am thinking of the entry model PJ 350 or max the PJ 650 since it is a frameless model.

Here are the current prices for LG 2010 plasmas (42 inch) from my dealer at Chennai:

42 PJ350 - MRP 42k, best price 37.8k
42 PJ650 - MRP 45k, best price 40.5k
42 PJ560 - MRP 48k, best price 43.2k

From the above, another 1k discount might be possible but not certain about that.

Hope that helps.

---Venkat

not sure about c450 plasma, but series 5 c550 played everything i thrown at it, mkv,mp4, avi, also plays from external hdd, no need to buy a mediaplayer:yahoo:

I visited the store today, and Models could not even play some of the AVI files, did not even recognize MP4, MKV and other formats...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back