42ST30 Impressions.

I started reading st30 reviews by the owners. read couple of drawbacks here n there n still trying to understand. will take a call after further understnading. thanks for your time though.
Hi,
I have already decided to go for st30 even thogh v20 and vt20 available for reduced price. Facts and opinions i have considered:
1) st30 has 3d, v20 no 3d- cost 12k more but 3d use(if not now, may be in next 2 to 5 years, it is better to have it.), faster phospers, more peak brightness, no floating blacks,guaranteed box piece, free 3d eye wear. definitely st30 worth 12k more than v20
2) VT 20 available in only 50 inch which i dont need. and 50 st30 at the same price is definitely a better model in 3d picture quality
3) If i want to find out more difference between st30, v20 and vt20, and whether st30 is still a good one to consider, i ll go mad or by that time new 2012 line up with better features will come up and the comparisons will go on...( which i have been doing since last year)... PUTTING AN END TO ALL THESE, I AM NOW GOING FOR ST30 THIS SEASON But waiting for diwali offers to come up....
Thanks to everyone specially Allajunaki for good inputs..
All the best to every body who purchase st30 and start a new st30 owners thread..

Hi,
I have already decided to go for st30 even thogh v20 and vt20 available for reduced price. Facts and opinions i have considered:
1) st30 has 3d, v20 no 3d- cost 12k more but 3d use(if not now, may be in next 2 to 5 years, it is better to have it.), faster phospers, more peak brightness, no floating blacks,guaranteed box piece, free 3d eye wear. definitely st30 worth 12k more than v20
2) VT 20 available in only 50 inch which i dont need. and 50 st30 at the same price is definitely a better model in 3d picture quality
3) If i want to find out more difference between st30, v20 and vt20, and whether st30 is still a good one to consider, i ll go mad or by that time new 2012 line up with better features will come up and the comparisons will go on...( which i have been doing since last year)... PUTTING AN END TO ALL THESE, I AM NOW GOING FOR ST30 THIS SEASON But waiting for diwali offers to come up....
Thanks to everyone specially Allajunaki for good inputs..
All the best to every body who purchase st30 and start a new st30 owners thread..

Thanks for sharing your views.
How did u resist buying v20 when you were observing these for an year, considering the fact that v20 was the best in business

Thanks for sharing your views.
How did u resist buying v20 when you were observing these for an year, considering the fact that v20 was the best in business
Hi,
To be frank i was more inclined towards led lcd tvs. very nearly jumped on sony hx800 bundling offer. but due to some other home decor commitments last time, postponed buying tv. by that time i came to know about plasma advantages. Kindly note most of the electronics shop promote leds. after thorough R&D going for plasma this time. Thanks to forums like this, salesmen cannot fool people like me, displaying those high priced lcds called colourful leds(No offense to led users). so now st30 all the way.

I will not look too much into this.
Reason, they are reviewing the set with motion smoother on (and I do Not use this feature). Motion smoother sounds good on paper, but in reality it destroys the movie completely. And take it from me, this is not the first time Im seeing this (WinDVD introduced this a long back in their DVD player for PC, the hatred for this sort of technology started then on :D ).

Can anyone plz tell what is artifacting and high frequency patterns ?

Was going through the following link and came across these two problems in ST30...

Motion - Panasonic TC-P50ST30 Plasma 3D HDTV Review

Resolution Scaling (6.93)

1)This says apart from 1080p native resolution, it fares poor in other INPUT resolutions.
In India all our input resolution is other than 1080p ie cable, dvd, etc. except BD. so wts the feedback on this by the owners of st30 ?

here is a comparison with v20
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conte...ma-3D-HDTV-Review/Vs-Panasonic-TC-P50VT20.htm
2)and how about the motion performance problem being observed. the review sounds pretty bad.

3) the brightness ,it says, has improved drastically. was it only for 3d glasses or in normal day light also it shows improvement.

4) overall it seems brightness is the factor, if we discount 3d factor. i still don think 3d is a big deal in india.

5) or probably its a wrong comparision of st30 with vt20. probably it shud be either gt30 or vt30.
Any idea when can we expect them in india ?

6) btw like v20 is the flagship model in 2010, which is THE model for 2011 in india in 42" ?

Last edited:

Resolution Scaling (6.93)

1)This says apart from 1080p native resolution, it fares poor in other INPUT resolutions. For us all our input resolution in other than 1080p ie cable, dvd, etc. except BD. so howz this observed by the owners of st30 ?

here is a comparison with v20
Vs Panasonic TC-P50VT20 - Panasonic TC-P50ST30 Plasma 3D HDTV Review
2)and how about the motion performance problem being observed. the review sounds pretty bad.

3) the brightness ,it says, has improved drastically. was it only for 3d glasses or in normal day light also it shows improvement.

4) overall it seems brightness is the factor, if we discount 3d factor. i still don think 3d is a big deal in india.

5) or probably its a wrong comparision of st30 with vt20. probably it shud be either gt30 or vt30.
Any idea when can we expect them in india ?

6) btw like v20 is the flagship model in 2010, which is THE model for 2011 in india in 42" ?

Babu21,

if 3D is not important to you i would suggest to go ahead and buy a V20 if ur getting a fresh stock... Im not sure how much did they quote for V20 but 42ST30 is available for 64K with one 3D glass...

Another review:
Regarding motion artefacting and resolution scaling, I prefer this site's review because, they turn off Motion smoothing technologies. In my opinion, if you are the type that likes these features, then you are not the type that needs to worry about motion artefacting, since by the act of motion smoothing, you are in fact, motion artefacting anyway (It is not the true source any more, since you are adding 2x/4x the amount of frames than the original picture).

Panasonic TX-P42ST30/ TX-P42ST30B (ST30) Review

Babu21,

if 3D is not important to you i would suggest to go ahead and buy a V20 if ur getting a fresh stock... Im not sure how much did they quote for V20 but 42ST30 is available for 64K with one 3D glass...

42v20 is quoted for 54k . Not sure if its a fresh stock though.
the only major diff i read so far between v20 n st30 is more brightness. i donno how much brighter it is though.

Another review:
Regarding motion artefacting and resolution scaling, I prefer this site's review because, they turn off Motion smoothing technologies. In my opinion, if you are the type that likes these features, then you are not the type that needs to worry about motion artefacting, since by the act of motion smoothing, you are in fact, motion artefacting anyway (It is not the true source any more, since you are adding 2x/4x the amount of frames than the original picture).

Panasonic TX-P42ST30/ TX-P42ST30B (ST30) Review

Thanks for the link. :)

Was a little worried due to last review, thanks for ur reply too :)

Same thing happened to me as well :)
However, one look at the Television at Panasonic Showroom, me and my wife were drooling at this tv.
My Wife, who is not into all electronics, and thought 70k is waste for a television, especially after having a 42" Plasma already, became a convert after she saw it at showroom.

After some more reviews on the net, I realized that this is the only review that complained of the motion artefacts. Its only later did I realize that they were testing with motion smoothers on. This is not the right way IMHO.
Infact, this TV has excellent motion resolution of 1080 lines at 1200pps ( Which is more that 2010 Flagship plasmas which had about 850).
VIERA Microsite

Thanks for the link. :)

Was a little worried due to last review, thanks for ur reply too :)

42v20 is a bargain for 54k. But do make sure its a brand new sealed box.
Dont worry too much about brightness. You will never keep at full brightness, unless your room is brightly lit. My St30 runs @ -4 brightess (that is 4 points less than 50%) most of the time. But I do not have any windows facing the TV.
Also, ST30 comes with a filter, where as V20 does not.
ST30 has a faster phosphor, and better motion resolution.
But I believe in absolute flat out performance, v20 still has a slight edge. But as noted by reviews world wide, its not noticeable unless kept side by side.
But at 54k, v20 is unbeatable, if media playback from USB, 3D are not important.

42v20 is quoted for 54k . Not sure if its a fresh stock though.
the only major diff i read so far between v20 n st30 is more brightness. i donno how much brighter it is though.

allajunaki,

Reg. the 3 years warranty which is offered, is it mentioned anywhere in the warranty card or in you purchase bill?. coz one of the panasonic brand shop in chennai told me that the 3 year warranty was reduced to 1 year for all 2011 models (both plasma & LCD models).

Another retail showroom mentioned that the product will come with a 1 year warranty and the customer will be getting the additional 2 year warranty card seperately , not sure if this is true....

Last edited:
The dealer told me the additional 2 year warranty comes in a seperate card. I have not yet received it. I have to follow it up with the dealer.

allajunaki,

Reg. the 3 years warranty which is offered, is it mentioned anywhere in the warranty card or in you purchase bill?. coz one of the panasonic brand shop in chennai told me that the 3 year warranty was reduced to 1 year for all 2011 models (both plasma & LCD models).

Another retail showroom mentioned that the product will come with a 1 year warranty and the customer will be getting the additional 2 year warranty card seperately , not sure if this is true....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back