42ST30 Impressions.

42v20 is a bargain for 54k. But do make sure its a brand new sealed box.
Dont worry too much about brightness. You will never keep at full brightness, unless your room is brightly lit. My St30 runs @ -4 brightess (that is 4 points less than 50%) most of the time. But I do not have any windows facing the TV.
Also, ST30 comes with a filter, where as V20 does not.
ST30 has a faster phosphor, and better motion resolution.
But I believe in absolute flat out performance, v20 still has a slight edge. But as noted by reviews world wide, its not noticeable unless kept side by side.
But at 54k, v20 is unbeatable, if media playback from USB, 3D are not important.

Thanks for your time to answer all these doubts. Appreciated.
This might be a basic question, reg st30 having more brightness.
I comprehend as follows. correct me if i am wrong.
At the same level, say 50% of brightness settings, st30 looks more bright than v20, right?
Will it be that, if i increase the brightness in v20 to 55%, then it might also have the same brightness of st30 at 50%. Is my understanding right. If this is the case then brightness shudn't be an issue, as u told, u have been using at -4. so we have lot of brightness to increase to.
i might be watching tv in day light too. my room has a tubelight facing tv also.

the filter you are talking about in st30, will it help in brightness during daytime watching or it decreases the brightness?

i know you told there is diff between black levels n contrast n all.
But when viewed will there be noticiable diff between these two tvs ?

Will the fast moving objects be noticeably diff ?

i read resolution diff r there. donno how will we perceive them while watching? will we see more dots on sd content ?

Last edited:
First of all, I have ST30 not V20. Not rich enough to have them both :D
What I wanted to convey was, since St30 need not be pushed to Max for attaining sufficient brightness, V20, inspite of being "dimmer" can handle room conditions well.

The filter on ST30 (not on Indian v20 though) prevents TV from being completely washed out. What this does is prevent the overhead light from hitting the panel, and hence prevent the glass from reflecting (and seeing a "grey" color when TV is switched off, or while showing dark content). The filter on ST30 works well with overhead lighting and ambient light that sweeps into my living room (as noted in my review). The filter does reduce the brightness of the panel, but the panel is designed to work with the filter, so they have compensated. Also all the brightness measured by all the websites are with filter anyway.

The TV gives much better feel while showing contents, which involve panning.
this is in comparison with my LG plasma, which had ~600 - 700 lines.

And I do not know what is the PPS value for my other TV. But it will be far lower than Panasonic V20 and ST30.

Also, Im not in any position to tell how good or bad is this TV with SD content, since my Tata Sky+ HD box does the upscaling. Quite honestly, I don't even watch SD content all that much these days, save for occasional malayalam movies on Surya/Asianet/Amrita/Kairali. And these channels are not that great SD channels to begin with :indifferent14:

Thanks for your time to answer all these doubts. Appreciated.
This might be a basic question, reg st30 having more brightness.
I comprehend as follows. correct me if i am wrong.
At the same level, say 50% of brightness settings, st30 looks more bright than v20, right?
Will it be that, if i increase the brightness in v20 to 55%, then it might also have the same brightness of st30 at 50%. Is my understanding right. If this is the case then brightness shudn't be an issue, as u told, u have been using at -4. so we have lot of brightness to increase to.
i might be watching tv in day light too. my room has a tubelight facing tv also.

the filter you are talking about in st30, will it help in brightness during daytime watching or it decreases the brightness?

i know you told there is diff between black levels n contrast n all.
But when viewed will there be noticiable diff between these two tvs ?

Will the fast moving objects be noticeably diff ?

i read resolution diff r there. donno how will we perceive them while watching? will we see more dots on sd content ?

A home theater will make the setup complete. But I will not recommend for 7.1, since there are only limited Blu-rays that support 7.1, most of them are 5.1.
However, if you can go for 50" TV for now and HT for later, then that will be a better choice on the long run.
The way I see it is, you can always buy HT later; but you will not be able to by the additional 8" Of tv later, can you? :D
Friends, Is it better to get 42ST30 with 7.1 Home theater system OR 50ST30 alone ?

Hi All,

I hope we have a few chennai members in this thread, so please let me know what is the best pricing you have got for 50ST30 and 50VT20 in chennai brandshops & showrooms....

The best price i got for 50ST30 is 1 lac with one 3D glass.... has anyone got a better quote than this?

Also what is the best pricing for 50VT20 in chennai?.

it's available for 64K in chennai, hope you are from bangalore...

btw 50VT20 (with 2 3D glasses) is offered for 88K for a group buy in chennai....they are offering this price if we purchase 5 units.....

Hi All,

I hope we have a few chennai members in this thread, so please let me know what is the best pricing you have got for 50ST30 and 50VT20 in chennai brandshops & showrooms....

The best price i got for 50ST30 is 1 lac with one 3D glass.... has anyone got a better quote than this?

Also what is the best pricing for 50VT20 in chennai?.

Just FYI
50VT20 is available for 71.4K including shipping per the group buy thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/17578-panasonic-plasma-v20-series-group-buy-31.html#post288996

ad in todays times. panny st30 panel made in japan they say where as sales men were saying it is thailand made just to promote vt20 ahead of st30. anybody who has purchased vt20 over st30 recently out there? any views?

Same here, me also waiting for better quote as well as festive season offers :eek:hyeah:

And I reconfirmed from the salesman, yes the second 3D glass is an offer... sorry for first post :(
hi potential st30 buyers, anybody purchase st30 yet? opinions pls

ad in todays times. panny st30 panel made in japan they say where as sales men were saying it is thailand made just to promote vt20 ahead of st30. anybody who has purchased vt20 over st30 recently out there? any views?

All of the panels for all of the series are made in Japan. Assembly of the sets takes place in Thailand.

Also read the opening post of this thread.

Friends,

Finally i bought my 50ST30 for 1 Lac with 1 3D glass from panasonic brand shop, not sure if i will get the wireless keyboard which is this month's offer. The dealer was not sure if panasonic is offering Avatar 3D with this purchase and assured me that he will get it for me if it was offered. Even 50VT20 was available but they were not ready to come down below 1 Lac.

Many thanks to Allajunaki and Kittu for their suggestions and info. they gave me throughout my TV search which made me to go for the 50 inch size. In fact when viewed from 17 feet it gives me a feeling that i should have gone for the next size. :)

The installation & wall mounting is done. I only had a SCV Set top box and wanted to buy Airtel HD DTH before getting the TV but didn't get a chance to do it... To my surprise the SD channels looked good in 50ST30 even when viewed thru SCV Set top box. I'm sure HD box will have even better quality, checked HD videos and they looked awsome. Im running the TV with Eco mode on and i didn't experience any FB till now. I guess the manufacture date was mentioned as Aug 2011 and the date of import was Sept 2011 (mentioned in the box pack).

@ Allajunaki, page 26 from the product manual says that it's supplied with TY-EW3D2MA which is 2011 rechargeable 3D glass, i used it and didn't experience any flicker even with room lights on. Also the salesman confirmed that u should be only getting 2011 model 3D glass, so please call your dealer and get ur 3D glasses replaced.

Friends,

Finally i bought my 50ST30 for 1 Lac with 1 3D glass from panasonic brand shop, not sure if i will get the wireless keyboard which is this month's offer. The dealer was not sure if panasonic is offering Avatar 3D with this purchase and assured me that he will get it for me if it was offered. Even 50VT20 was available but they were not ready to come down below 1 Lac.

Many thanks to Allajunaki and Kittu for their suggestions and info. they gave me throughout my TV search which made me to go for the 50 inch size. In fact when viewed from 17 feet it gives me a feeling that i should have gone for the next size. :)

The installation & wall mounting is done. I only had a SCV Set top box and wanted to buy Airtel HD DTH before getting the TV but didn't get a chance to do it... To my surprise the SD channels looked good in 50ST30 even when viewed thru SCV Set top box. I'm sure HD box will have even better quality, checked HD videos and they looked awsome. Im running the TV with Eco mode on and i didn't experience any FB till now. I guess the manufacture date was mentioned as Aug 2011 and the date of import was Sept 2011 (mentioned in the box pack).

@ Allajunaki, page 26 from the product manual says that it's supplied with TY-EW3D2MA which is 2011 rechargeable 3D glass, i used it and didn't experience any flicker even with room lights on. Also the salesman confirmed that u should be only getting 2011 model 3D glass, so please call your dealer and get ur 3D glasses replaced.

congrads...:clapping:

Congrats!. Yes, I know I should have got the 2011 Model. But quite honestly, Im not inclined to getting it replaced at the moment. :D
I should be getting the Xpand X103, which will become "my glass" :D

Friends,

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back