46 inch plus TV .. HX750 or HX850 or ST50

^

Of course they are credible. Also they provide a lot of factual data and measurements unlike quite a few other sites.

And well plasma is a good tech no doubt and very good for those who are looking to get a cinema like experience at home in a dark room. :) It's down to personal preference at the end of the day. While I do appreciate plasma tech, personally I don't like it so much. There are other cheaper and better alternatives for getting a home cinema experience, and for day to day TV watching, it's just not bright enough.

I was thinking of getting a 42GT/ST50 but the poor performance under normal viewing conditions put me off. And also the design. HX850 is modern, classy and sexy. The ST/GT50.. well let the pictures do the talking.

214673-sony-bravia-hx850.jpg

ST50.jpg

P.S. I don't mean to offend anybody (plasma fans) with my post, I am just stating my personal opinion, for MY requirements.

Last edited:
You sure ? The Pana dealer (brand shop) wouldn't even give 1k discount over it :eek:

@Lakshminarasimhan

Demo Sony Bravia HX850 before deciding on the LG. HX850 is the closest to ST50 in performance (and an "average joe" will like the HX850 more than ST50)
Brand shops do give discount and sometime very handsome. It is hard to sustain in the market by sticking to MRP.
Regards

do not just look at reviews on a single site..............I would look across various sites and then decide. Ratings differ on every site. Have a look :

Response time is important and even though most LCD-TVs have reached a level where response time is good enough for most users, motion blurring continues to be one of the LCD-TVs weak points. Sony utilizes a backlight scanning backlight system like almost every other manufacturer nowadays and it helps to improve motion reproduction by reducing motion blur in movies and games. Some motion-blurring still occurs on HX850, and detailing is reduced in fast-paced action scenes but the issues are not critical in any way. We did notice one problem, though. HX850 revealed mild overdrive trailing (halos around moving objects); not enough to affect everyday use but it was visible a few times during action-paced first person shooter games, which is a shame.

source : Sony HX850 (HX853) review - FlatpanelsHD

^

I was thinking of getting a 42GT/ST50 but the poor performance under normal viewing conditions put me off. And also the design. HX850 is modern, classy and sexy. The ST/GT50.. well let the pictures do the talking.

avmax.. agreed.. lookwise.. HX850 is way ahead.. ST50/GT50 looks r too blend... they need to evolve.. in fact lookwise, Samy LEDs are also good.. definitely not in the league of HX850.. with monolithic design and Gorilla glass, HX850 takes the cake, .. only way ST50 can give competition is by way of lower price for a bigger screen.. else, as I have mentioned already, getting more inclined towards HX850..

in any case, Pana don't want to sell their TVs, hence are not stocking up anywhere in Navi Mumbai.. so ST50 is actually a virtual model as far as India is concerned as of now.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
do not just look at reviews on a single site..............I would look across various sites and then decide. Ratings differ on every site. Have a look :

Response time is important and even though most LCD-TVs have reached a level where response time is good enough for most users, motion blurring continues to be one of the LCD-TVs weak points. Sony utilizes a backlight scanning backlight system like almost every other manufacturer nowadays and it helps to improve motion reproduction by reducing motion blur in movies and games. Some motion-blurring still occurs on HX850, and detailing is reduced in fast-paced action scenes but the issues are not critical in any way. We did notice one problem, though. HX850 revealed mild overdrive trailing (halos around moving objects); not enough to affect everyday use but it was visible a few times during action-paced first person shooter games, which is a shame.

source : Sony HX850 (HX853) review - FlatpanelsHD

Incidentally FlatpanelsHD is the ONLY review site that gave a not so stellar review of the HX850, every single other site has rated HX850 5/5 or 10/10 :) for PQ which makes me wonder if they got a defective unit.

BTW.. avmax.. are you looking for a TV for yourself as well? If yes, then do lemme know of any good deal between 46HX850 and 50ST50 at Pune.. I may be able to squeeze a similar or a better deal here at Navi Mumbai..

The HX850 has the same line of proprietary panel tech found in the more expensive HX92 series hence the really good picture quality,it only lacks a multiple zone backlight dimming.

In daytime viewing in a living room with windows the HX850 easily has the contrast edge due to very deep blacks levels,minimal washout of contrast under ambient light.
If you switch On the HX850 tv with lots of black content in image displayed and at the same time you keep a plasma next to even if its switch OFF.The Sony HX850 or for that matter most VA panel based lcds will still show better perceived blacks in daytime.If you switch on the plasma the the image shown will be of much lower contrast compared to most if not all VA based lcds tv under ambient light.

@manzb

Definitely :) It's actually an improved version of the HX925 -(minus) its problems Still, HX850 isn't too far behind at all. It delivers 92% of HX950's PQ and 95% of HX925's PQ ;)

@aks316

Buddy, can you tell me price of 40HX850 in grey market? And as for HX950, its coming around Diwali. Same price as HX925

Found this Interesting 4 way shootout review on HDTVPolska site. :clapping:
HX850 vs LG LM765 vs Samsung ES8000 vs Panasonic ST50

http://hdtvpolska.com/topic/28236-m...-46hx850-vs-samsung-es8000-vs-panasonic-st50/

They rank each TV rather than scoring them so the best gets 4 points, and the worst gets 1 point.

Let me summarize the review here on basis of rankings.

Build Quality -

HX850/ LM765 - 4 points
ES8000 - 3 points
ST50 - 2 points

Equipment/Accessories -

LM765 - 4 points
ES8000 - 3 points
ST50/HX850 - 2 points

Cinema viewing PQ -

ST50 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points

Overall PQ (Day, Night, Movies, Soaps)

HX850 - 4 points
ST50 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points

Liquidity of Motion, Sharpness

HX850 - 4 points
ST50 -3 points
ES8000 - 2 points
LM765 - 1 points

Color Reproduction Post Calibration

ST50 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points

Factory mode Color/Picture accuracy

HX850 - 4 points
ST50 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points

Scaling and Signal processing

ST50 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
LM765/ES8000 - 2 points

3D Technology

HX850/ES8000 - 4 points
ST50 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points

Internet Features

HX850 - 4 points
ES8000 - 3 points
LM765/ST50 - 2 points

Input Lag

ST50/LM765 - 4 points
HX850/ES8000 - 3 points

Energy Efficiency

LM765 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
ES8000 - 2 points
ST50 - 1 points

Multimedia

ES8000 - 4 points
HX850/ST50/LM765- 3 points

Extras/Value

ES8000 -4points
LM765 - 3 points
HX850/ST50 - 2 point

Overall Points Tally

HX850 - 46 points
ST50 - 40 points
LM765 - 35 points
ES8000 - 34 points

Conclusion

As can be seen in most cases in the forefront or in the first place was a model from Sony or HX850. And it is not no surprise. It's the perfect meeting both TV viewing day and night. It is in my opinion the most versatile and has the most advantages of the tested four TV. The fact that it is impossible to find in other TV parts in which Sony will be weaker but overall it is the HX850 is the most positive features. It is therefore recommended for universal use just the LCD. To the cinema and Panasonic plasma evening sessions will also be a very good choice

P.S. The above conclusion is from the website and not my opinion :p

The Price will be around 75k but its not available as if now. I cant wait to see Sony HX950.
@manzb

Definitely :) It's actually an improved version of the HX925 -(minus) its problems Still, HX850 isn't too far behind at all. It delivers 92% of HX950's PQ and 95% of HX925's PQ ;)

@aks316

Buddy, can you tell me price of 40HX850 in grey market? And as for HX950, its coming around Diwali. Same price as HX925

avmax.. .. more reasons for going for HX850.. anyway.. out of Pana's 40 points u should deduct 15-20 points for non-availability.. u can't buy something which is not available.. as u know, it is still a virtual model in most parts of India.. :D

Panasonic is one company i love to hate because they make such amazing tvs but they never market them properly and their dealers are very bad. I sometime feel they dont want to sell their products in india atleast becuase their products are never in stock or they are very late in the market. They have let Samsung & LG take the lead. Sony is the only Japanese electronic company with a good market share in tvs in india. Sharp, Toshiba and Panasonic all three are ignoring india. Wake up Panasonic.

I would rate ST50 above HX850 anyday based on analysis by majority of experts and my own analytics and observations. For one, in PQ and movie mode, ST50 is ahead and then one also gets 4" extra for 10K less.

But as St50 is not available, at least for now, there should be some score attached to "availability".

And I somehow do not agree to all the rating given in the website and would question the basis of assumption. See my comments in Red

Found this Interesting 4 way shootout review on HDTVPolska site. :clapping:
HX850 vs LG LM765 vs Samsung ES8000 vs Panasonic ST50

MEGA-TEST: LG LED 3D 47LM765S VS Sony 46HX850 VS Samsung ES8000 VS Panasonic ST50 - LCD - HDTV Centrum Polska

They rank each TV rather than scoring them so the best gets 4 points, and the worst gets 1 point.

Let me summarize the review here on basis of rankings.

Build Quality -

HX850/ LM765 - 4 points
ES8000 - 3 points
ST50 - 2 points
Highly questionable. On what basis is the build quality low? If this means that ST50 is more plain looking then I agree. But I would buy a better quality set over plain looks anyday.

Equipment/Accessories -

LM765 - 4 points
ES8000 - 3 points
ST50/HX850 - 2 points
Once again what equipment and accessories are we talking about? What is needed extra?

Cinema viewing PQ -

ST50 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points
This one is right.

Overall PQ (Day, Night, Movies, Soaps)

HX850 - 4 points
ST50 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points
Do not agree. The overall PQ of St50 with its intense black levels, 2500 Hz sub-field drive, better response time, smoothness, etc. ST50 is way higher than even 4 point. 4.5 points to be more exact.

Liquidity of Motion, Sharpness

HX850 - 4 points
ST50 -3 points
ES8000 - 2 points
LM765 - 1 points
Do not agree. The overall PQ of St50 with its intense black levels, 2500 Hz sub-field drive, better response time, smoothness, etc. ST50 is way higher than even 4 point. 4.5 points to be more exact.

Color Reproduction Post Calibration

ST50 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points

Factory mode Color/Picture accuracy

HX850 - 4 points
ST50 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points
ES8000 - 1 points
Highly questionable.

Scaling and Signal processing

ST50 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
LM765/ES8000 - 2 points

3D Technology

HX850/ES8000 - 4 points
ST50 - 3 points
LM765 - 2 points

Internet Features

HX850 - 4 points
ES8000 - 3 points
LM765/ST50 - 2 points
This features do not matter in the Indian context and anyway I think that ST50 has almost all internet features.

Input Lag

ST50/LM765 - 4 points
HX850/ES8000 - 3 points

Energy Efficiency

LM765 - 4 points
HX850 - 3 points
ES8000 - 2 points
ST50 - 1 points

Multimedia

ES8000 - 4 points
HX850/ST50/LM765- 3 points

Extras/Value

ES8000 -4points
LM765 - 3 points
HX850/ST50 - 2 point

Overall Points Tally

HX850 - 46 points
ST50 - 40 points
LM765 - 35 points
ES8000 - 34 points

Conclusion

As can be seen in most cases in the forefront or in the first place was a model from Sony or HX850. And it is not no surprise. It's the perfect meeting both TV viewing day and night. It is in my opinion the most versatile and has the most advantages of the tested four TV. The fact that it is impossible to find in other TV parts in which Sony will be weaker but overall it is the HX850 is the most positive features. It is therefore recommended for universal use just the LCD. To the cinema and Panasonic plasma evening sessions will also be a very good choice

P.S. The above conclusion is from the website and not my opinion :p

I would not trust a forum website for reviews. I would rather trust CNet, and such sites more. All these sites have rated ST50 higher. HX850 is not a bad TV at all and comes a close second to ST50. If you buy HX850, you will not go wrong. But for anyone to state that HX850 is better than ST50 then let the experts say that.

I think you should go for Sony HX850 since Panasonic ( as always ) is not available the choice is clear now. Its been 3 months with Sony HX850 and its worth it according to me. I am just waiting for avengers bluray & supernatural season 7 bluray. I will get it around oct 20th. I also dont follow all expert reviews but according to me Sony HX850 & Panasonic ST50 both are equally good.

I would rate ST50 above HX850 anyday based on analysis by majority of experts and my own analytics and observations. For one, in PQ and movie mode, ST50 is ahead and then one also gets 4" extra for 10K less.

But as St50 is not available, at least for now, there should be some score attached to "availability".

And I somehow do not agree to all the rating given in the website and would question the basis of assumption. See my comments in Red

I would not trust a forum website for reviews. I would rather trust CNet, and such sites more. All these sites have rated ST50 higher. HX850 is not a bad TV at all and comes a close second to ST50. If you buy HX850, you will not go wrong. But for anyone to state that HX850 is better than ST50 then let the experts say that.

APPLAUD!!! Very well put............I hope that brings all speculation to rest.

Just4kix, I dont think there is anything in that review to make a ST50 owner feel offended. Nowhere in the whole review ST50's PQ prowess has been questioned. If you look at the scores it reflects the true facts. For watching movies in a dark environment the ST50 is better than HX850 and that is clearly mentioned. They picked HX850 as the winner only because being a plasma, the ST50 is not stellar in daylight and brightly lit rooms. There the HX850 edges it. And also it looks much better, has better features, the brightest 3D picture .

I have also mentioned the ST50 will perform slightly better in a dark room, but overall both are equal.

I've seen both the ST and GT50 and they definitely dont beat the HX850 picture under bright lighting, the same way the HX850 does not beat ST GT picture in pitch dark conditions.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back