49 inch options.... Feedback needed.

I did not say my set top box upscales content to 4k,its just 1920 by 1080
Where did I say my intex tv has a good upscaling engine,I had just said my sun hd box gives a good hd content.
I think am in the wrong forum,babye.

Backlight - 40
Cotnrast - 64
brightness - 58
Sharpness - 10 (at 0 it's too soft, normally I keep it at 0 or under 5)
colour - 70
Tint - 0
Color temp - C10 set this warm (this is very very important. It has to warm)
Advanced settings :--
Dyn. Contrast - off ( this should be always off no matter what)
Dyn.colour - off ( always off )
Noise reduction - High
Gamma - High
Black level - High
Motion eye care - off ( always off )
Film mode - off
COLOUR gamut - wide
Edge enhancer - on ( this sort of tries to do AA for images sometime it works sometime it doesnt)
Connect a Pc or laptop then only calibrate
Also at day time swtich all light sources close windows curtains and make the room as dark as you possibly can. Then start calibration, once it's done change the lightning to normal

Thanks for the settings but keeping Backlight at 40.. It's just way to dark... It's at 100 only. Trust me, even I am surprised as I've kept Backlight between 40-60% only.. This is the first time I've had to keep it at full 100%.
Do you think it's some kind of defect with my peice or what?
It's strange that the brightness is so low of this panel that one needs to keep it at full 100%.
Woudl request other lg led owners to also provide their feedback, is it inherent with LG tvs?
Forget 40, but at 100 it's just adequate, so can't think of going any lower, though between 80-100 it largely remains same, only slightest of changes but then going below that it starts to become dull and 40 is a complete no.
The same with contrast, I am keeping it at 90-100 only, since going Lower again makes or less bright n dull.
Is this some kind of defect?
The good part is, the colors are very very natural and no single color pops out and overpowers the rest.
Its just like my Philips lcd I had wich had an ips panel way back in 2010.

Last edited:
I saw that LG panels were inherently less bright at default settings in physical stores. That said
Can you try to see if turning film mode off changes anything?
Also try setting Gamma medium or high (theoretically this may actually turn the pictures a bit darker).

LG says vivid mode provides maximum brightness. There is also a suggestion in LG troubleshooting to reset all AV settings to see if brightness improves.

I saw that LG panels were inherently less bright at default settings in physical stores. That said
Can you try to see if turning film mode off changes anything?
Also try setting Gamma medium or high (theoretically this may actually turn the pictures a bit darker).
I've turned off film mode since yesterday and gamma is at low, medium or high makes it even darker.
I've also done a reset of settings n started from scratch n now it's on vivid(user) mode.
Not much difference from standard (user) vis a vis vivid(user).
The brightness increases if I switch on dynamic contrast. Then it increases considerably but the picture is not pleasing and I have never switched on anything dynamic.
If it's an inherent lg panel attribute, then I guess I gotta get used to it but have to keep the contrast n Backlight both at 100% throughout.
I hoped if it was 10-20% more bright since I've liked the color reproduction quite a bit. It's just that it's a wee bit dull.

Well, only one thing increases the brightness and that it's keeping dynamic contrast at high but I Dont know how that will effect PQ and general viewing. I've kept it at high n will report back if it causes any issues with viewing.

LG says vivid mode provides maximum brightness. There is also a suggestion in LG troubleshooting to reset all AV settings to see if brightness improves.

Yes, I've done a reset of av settings and not much result from that. Now in vivid (user) mode.

Guess you have tried it all. Dynamic contrast will result in loss of detail.
Just a couple more things come to mind - I'm sure you would have checked these but still - Is there any local dimming option or Ambient Sensor in the menu which is turned on? Setting black level high should improve brightness but you find the pictures washed out, probably you can try to adjust brightness and backlight with black levels high with a calibration software like AVCHD-2D to get the most realistic picture.

Last edited:
See if you can locate the ambient sensor / magic eye kind of thing and keep your phone at maximum brightness close to that :D
Select Demo mode if available and see if it brightens stuff up!

It will take time to adjust the backlight level at 50. At 100 or full backlight you're just shorting the Tv lifespan. Check if energy saving mode is on, turn it off. Also having backlight at full causes washed out image not the other way around. Please check in manual regarding peak brightness level if its below 250cd/m2 Than nothing can't be done.

In a dark room it is simple. Don't start at the top and work your way down, but start at the bottom and work your way up. Start at the minimum backlight setting. It may look too dim and some shadow details could be obscured. In this case, slowly raise it up until the light output is sufficiently pleasing to your eye for extended periods of viewing.

In a bright room, you can get away with using a much higher backlight setting, because flashlighting and clouding and such are not as noticeable in a bright room, and as long as the ambient light reflecting off the panel is greater than the MLL of the display, your perception of how deep the blacks are will be more a function of how dark the light absorption filter is. So you can still maintain the perception of deep blacks, even though the higher backlight is elevating your black levels (making them glow grayer).

If possible please post pictures of all settings menu so we can have a look, one more thing the main source of light in which your Tv is, should be behind the Tv not a side or front.

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for the tips and here are my current settings :-
Gamma is at low because higher settings causes it to become darker, though medium is the best as in SD low gamma makes PQ a bit washed out.
Black level is at low as at high setting (just low n high) blacks become washed out, so this is a no brainer, it had to be kept at low. Currently blacks are good, no issues thr.
@he-man,the light source is behind the Tv only. Also unable to find peak brightness rating in the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_20170503_222934633_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170503_222934633_HDR.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20170503_222957855_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170503_222957855_HDR.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20170503_223013979_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170503_223013979_HDR.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Due first contrast at 100 that's the main reason for greyish washed out screen. Set it to 74. Color temperature set it 2, at first it appear yellowish but it will in few hours. Edge enhancer and Noise Reduction set to off. Lastly ser color gamut to standard.

Can someone tell me about rgb gain and offset settings. Can I tinker with them to improve anything I'm regards to PQ and panel brightness?
I've found the service menu which has rgb settings. These are the current settings.
Red, green, blue gain is at 144 and offset is at 0 for all.

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_130034091_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170506_130034091_HDR.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 50
Don't do anything to the 6 point settings, you will just make it worse. A colorimeter is suited for this calibration. Leave it as it is. Pics are really small and lack detaisl difficult to see

Don't do anything to the 6 point settings, you will just make it worse. A colorimeter is suited for this calibration. Leave it as it is. Pics are really small and lack detaisl difficult to see

Well, I've clicked normal full size pics but when it's uploaded... This is what it comes out.
Ok... I'll leave it at that then.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back