5.1 Speakers/AVR Advice

kumarab

Setting up my first 5.1 system. Budget is about 25k for the receiver and 25k for the speakers. I would like to decide on the speakers first--I've been looking at the Jamo S416 HCS system which comes with 2 FS, 1 centre and 2 small surrounds. Ebay india has the same at 23k+shipping. Is that a fair price?What sort of discount I should look at for this particular model? If I can get a fair discount on that, then I can also add a subwoofer(if not, maybe later).

For AVR, I see my choices are between the Denon 1312/1611 and Yamaha RX V371/471. Any idea on the sort of pricing/discount I should be looking at? I'd be grateful if any Delhi/NCR members could chime in. Thanks in advance

Setting up my first 5.1 system. Budget is about 25k for the receiver and 25k for the speakers. I would like to decide on the speakers first--I've been looking at the Jamo S416 HCS system which comes with 2 FS, 1 centre and 2 small surrounds. Ebay india has the same at 23k+shipping. Is that a fair price?What sort of discount I should look at for this particular model? If I can get a fair discount on that, then I can also add a subwoofer(if not, maybe later).

For AVR, I see my choices are between the Denon 1312/1611 and Yamaha RX V371/471. Any idea on the sort of pricing/discount I should be looking at? I'd be grateful if any Delhi/NCR members could chime in. Thanks in advance

Hi, for AVR stick with denon 1312/1612. For speakers you have 2 options:

1. 5.1 satellite system : some of the good 5.1 speaker systems are

JBL Cinema 300
Polk Audio RM6750
Wharfedale Moviestar 65+
Boston Acoustics Soundware XS
JAMO S 426HC3 5.0

2. build up system bit by bit : you could get really good front speakers for now and then slowly build up over time...........followed with a centre, then perhaps surrounds and a subwoofer. This would take you more time but would also ensure you get the best 5.1 system.

Remember to demo any speaker you might want to consider, play all kinds of different audio material to see how it handles different audio frequencies.

all the best!!!

Thanks for the advice Akash. I have actually demoed all those speaker systems except the Boston set. I listened to the Jamo S416 (couldn't find the S426 anywhere to demo). While all of them were pretty good for movies, it was only the Jamo that was sounding decent with stereo sources. The bass and mids on those floorstanders were really good. In fact, I felt like I could almost do without a sub with these. I'll search around for the S426 as you suggested.

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any Delhi/NCR guys to suggest me on the street prices/discounts. The best quote I've got for the S416 HCS 5.0 is 18.5k.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Akash. I have actually demoed all those speaker systems except the Boston set. I listened to the Jamo S416 (couldn't find the S426 anywhere to demo). While all of them were pretty good for movies, it was only the Jamo that was sounding decent with stereo sources. The bass and mids on those floorstanders were really good. In fact, I felt like I could almost do without a sub with these. I'll search around for the S426 as you suggested.

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate any Delhi/NCR guys to suggest me on the street prices/discounts. The best quote I've got for the S416 HCS 5.0 is 18.5k.

Thanks

if you only want to get the fronts within 20k, have a look at wharfedale Vardus 400 and mission M34i, both these speakers would outperform the Jamo 416 by leaps and bounds.

For AVR, I see my choices are between the Denon 1312/1611 and Yamaha RX V371/471.

Hi, for AVR stick with denon 1312/1612.

Why stick with Denon only.. any specific reason? In a recent audition, I found the Yamaha 471 better than Denon 1612. Ofcourse, to each their own impressions. Better to audition and decide, be it speakers or avr.

@Akash--That's the quote I got for the full 5.0 set. 2 FS, one centre and 2 surrounds for the Jamo S416. The dealer has also agreed to give the SUB200 at a hugely discounted price if I buy this set. The purpose is just to build a decent HT setup, with the off chance of background music sometimes during parties. I have a different stereo setup (Sonodyne Uranus II) for music.

@Santy--I haven't demoed any of these yet, so yeah..I'll keep my options open.

@Akash--That's the quote I got for the full 5.0 set. 2 FS, one centre and 2 surrounds for the Jamo S416. The dealer has also agreed to give the SUB200 at a hugely discounted price if I buy this set. The purpose is just to build a decent HT setup, with the off chance of background music sometimes during parties. I have a different stereo setup (Sonodyne Uranus II) for music.

@Santy--I haven't demoed any of these yet, so yeah..I'll keep my options open.

I have heard the S416............basic entry level system, not bad for the price but if you could stretch price a bit then there are many others there that are better.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back