AC Ryan Playon DVR

Pratters

I want to record television from Tata Sky, Tata Sky Plus and Dish TV (I have these 3 DTH at various places) and export it to my external hard disk.

Is it possible? How?

Can I watch live tv and record from Tata Sky at the same time while watching from a projector (Epson EH-TW4500)? Can I schedule recordings? How can I record? How can I export recordings? I have seagate 500 gb external hard disks.

What is this device?

Please tell me more about this device as I know next to nothing.

What are other options of DVR for me? Which would be best? I can get from US if need be.

Can I record in HD?

Last edited:
Recording through TS, i sincerly advice get TS+, the package would be far more cheaper than getting a dedicated hardward for PC to get things done. Not to forget a huge learning curve and effort....
Another forum member "harmeetmatta" also wanted something like this, though.... through a Reliance HD STB, you can go through the thread and yourself see what needs to be done to record through STB

http://www.hifivision.com/digital-cable-dth/10446-signals-through-hdmi-out-stb-encrypted.html

I don't get what you said. I can record through Tata Sky plus (I do have two tata sky plus and two tata sky at home in kolkata, dish tv in Up) and then export the recording already recorded? How exactly? That would be perfect and simple solution for me. Please explain in detailed simple language.

You want to record the soccer worldcup right, you can do that with TS+ ........ simple....however you can not transfer the recorded files from TS+ to your computer HDD as they are encrypted .......... If there is any other objective you have explain.....

I want them transfered to my computer HDD from Tata Sky Plus, Tata Sky and Dish TV. In other words I want the soft copy of these videos in the most practical way possible.

I want to record the India-South Africa test series in December ball by ball and follow key matches and tournaments of Tendulkar like World Cup 2011 and India's tour of Australia 2011-12 ball by ball. I want them transfered to my computer HDD.

The Indian tour of South Africa starts in mid-December 2010, so is six months away. So you have enough time to suggest me an option to record whether it is through a DVR or whatever.

In this period the Indian DTH scene will change dramatically, so who knows, a practical way may arise by then if there is not one right now.

I want them transfered to my computer HDD from Tata Sky Plus, Tata Sky and Dish TV. In other words I want the soft copy of these videos in the most practical way possible.

In this period the Indian DTH scene will change dramatically, so who knows, a practical way may arise by then if there is not one right now.

As I said you cannot transfer the recorded programms from TS+ to computer HDD as they as encrypted, the link to the thread I gave you of "Hermeet" I have explained in the last page why you can not transfer files from TS+
And I seriously doubt that a way might arise to copy content as its copyprotected .......

Hackers might find a way .... unlikely though ...

The Indian tour of South Africa starts in mid-December 2010, so is six months away. So you have enough time to suggest me an option to record whether it is through a DVR or whatever.

The only other way is to get a capture card and capture live recording on your PC. Again checkout the same thread, I have explained almost everything specially in the last page.

Last edited:
Please explain the way via capture card once again clearly as I read and couldn't follow the process in that thread and suggest which capture card to buy (I can buy the best if need be when my brother comes back from US in august beginning), what it is, what cables I need and things to buy for it and how a capture card will record live tv. Please explain the process in detail in simple words.

Sorry if I am bothering you but I am not a very tech guy. This is my first proper experience of the hifi world. I don't even know what the yellow-white-red circle cables are known as (yet). You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have done a lot of googling and understand a bit now.

a) I understand component video and composite video and how component video is superior.
b) I will buy the hauppage you recommend. It will also help me transfer VHS also to good quality soft copies.
c) What parts of my system requirements do you need to confirm it will work in my Dell laptop? Name them exactly please and I will see the Dell email and tell you the specifications.
d) What will the setup be like exactly. This I need to understand in detail. I want to like the other user watch video on my projector (Epson EH-TW4500), play sound on my sony sound system while the recording goes on in my computer.
e) Where do I buy this from? Here or its available in India?

Thanks for your patience.

My system is intel core 2 duo processor.
Graphics card/display adapter/graphics card is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.

Will it work with my laptop?

If not, can I upgrade my graphics card?

Which other alternative Capture Card would you suggest if it will not work with my laptop?

Please explain the way via capture card once again clearly as I read and couldn't follow the process in that thread and suggest which capture card to buy (I can buy the best if need be when my brother comes back from US in august beginning), what it is, what cables I need and things to buy for it and how a capture card will record live tv. Please explain the process in detail in simple words.

Sorry if I am bothering you but I am not a very tech guy. This is my first proper experience of the hifi world. I don't even know what the yellow-white-red circle cables are known as (yet). You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

I have always worked with internal capture card, but I presume external works the same way .... The model I mentioned, you just connect the box with PC using USB and box with your STB using component. Install the bundeled software and start capturing ............ That is the basic , detail settings and configuration, scheduling etc is something you would learn once you have the product and the manual. For the rest we are here :)

And you are not bothering me, if I had been bothered I would'nt have been replying to you ... :), but anyway the Thanks button would be a good way to appriciate .... :D

I have done a lot of googling and understand a bit now.

a) I understand component video and composite video and how component video is superior.
b) I will buy the hauppage you recommend. It will also help me transfer VHS also to good quality soft copies.
c) What parts of my system requirements do you need to confirm it will work in my Dell laptop? Name them exactly please and I will see the Dell email and tell you the specifications.
d) What will the setup be like exactly. This I need to understand in detail. I want to like the other user watch video on my projector (Epson EH-TW4500), play sound on my sony sound system while the recording goes on in my computer.
e) Where do I buy this from? Here or its available in India?

Thanks for your patience.

core 2 Duo is good enough, however the GPU is just ok, but the main thing is the RAM, which you have not mentioned. Personall I would not recomend a Laptop for capturing, should always be a desktop with min 2 GB of ram, a decent GPU and 7200rpm HDD (which is a norm anyway)

Laptop might work as well, but atleast make sure you have 2GB or more Ram at your disposal.

About using your projector while recording, you yourself have provided a way to do it so I presume the product I mentioned would do video in and out simultaniously.

You can ask your brother to get it via Amazon for you, thats the best route.....

jellofart's blog mentions you need at least 256 mb video card. The one I mentioned in my laptop is not good enough I understand (?) and my friend from whom I can borrow his older laptop has 128 mb. My laptop may have the other configs you mentioned. Please PM or email me your email me your email if you don't mind. I will send the configs details of my laptop to you (the mail Dell had sent me).

So I guess the Hauppage HD won't work with my configs?

If we forget record and watch live on tv (I suppose I can still watch live from my laptop while it's recording?) at same time, how can I just record (even basic picture quality will do, I don't need any thing fancy (though better quality would obviously be better)? Which capture card would suffice and will you suggest for that (India and US)? Forgetting the TV, simple solution to record and watch live from the laptop?

Last edited:
jellofart's blog mentions you need at least 256 mb video card. The one I mentioned in my laptop is not good enough I understand (?) and my friend from whom I can borrow his older laptop has 128 mb. My laptop may have the other configs you mentioned. Please PM or email me your email me your email if you don't mind. I will send the configs details of my laptop to you (the mail Dell had sent me).

So I guess the Hauppage HD won't work with my configs?

If we forget record and watch live on tv (I suppose I can still watch live from my laptop while it's recording?) at same time, how can I just record (even basic picture quality will do, I don't need any thing fancy (though better quality would obviously be better)? Which capture card would suffice and will you suggest for that (India and US)? Forgetting the TV, simple solution to record and watch live from the laptop?

Hauppage HD would definately work with the laptop, the only thing is because of low system resources, the capturing might skip frames and editing of the captured video would be very slow, also you might not be able to
multitask once the capturing is going on.

I'd suggest to increase thr Ram, video card would be OK. Processor is just fine. I think there should not be any problem.

Coming to internal capture card, I am not aware which capture card would be best for notebook,.........as never used it. Infact I strongly recomend you to avoide internal capture for a laptop, the best solution is still the external one as discuessed above.

Just tell me the exact model number of your laptop and I will find its configs myself....

Inspiron 1525. 2 GB Ram bought two years ago. Give me your email and I will mail you all the configs of my laptop. It was customised by my younger brother when he bought it directly from Dell India by giving them his requirements.

Last edited:
What is the way to connect? To the TV or to the Set Top Box? Dish TV doesn't have any outs as far as I can see. Will it or any other capture card work with Dish TV, Tata Sky and Tata Sky Plus?

What is the way to connect? To the TV or to the Set Top Box? Dish TV doesn't have any outs as far as I can see. Will it or any other capture card work with Dish TV, Tata Sky and Tata Sky Plus?

Does not have any outs ??? hows that possible, how are we suppose to connect it to the TV if there are no outs, I think you mean something else here??? TataSky has HDMI and Component and thats all we need....

As I said, read my posts carefully .....
PC => USB => Hauppage DVR Box < = Component Cable <= TV

OR

PC => USB => Hauppage DVR Box
TV => Component Cable => Hauppage DVR Box

Are you sure 256 mb graphhic card is not needed?

Hauppauge site clearly mentions you need one.

System Requirements
Note: when playing back video recordings made with the HD PVR, a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory are needed.

* Processor Requirements (minimum): Dual core CPU 2.0GHz or faster
* Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
* Sound card
* CD-ROM drive for installing the HD PVR software

It won't play on tv and record on the laptop at the same time. I found a couple of sites which clearly mention it.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back