AC Ryan Playon DVR

Are you sure 256 mb graphhic card is not needed?

Hauppauge site clearly mentions you need one.

System Requirements
Note: when playing back video recordings made with the HD PVR, a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory are needed.

* Processor Requirements (minimum): Dual core CPU 2.0GHz or faster
* Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
* Sound card
* CD-ROM drive for installing the HD PVR software

Is this the laptop you are talking about..

Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop Computer (Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 /2GB) specs and Laptop specifications - CNET Reviews

If yes that this has "intel graphics media accelerator x3100" which has 384mb of shared video memory, which is good enough for capturing.
Know this capturing is not taxing on GPU but CPU and RAM so those needs to be good......

Dell allows to customise your laptop and my brother opted for a basic video card in obile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.

Any ways I have decided go for a cheaper solution. Which capture card would you suuggest if not Hauppauge HD DVR?

It won't play on tv and record on the laptop at the same time. I found a couple of sites which clearly mention it.

That is also not possible I doubt it, remember this device can also be used to record your gaming sessions, you have on your xbox. So how are you suppose to record if you cannot view the same on your TV, its a game you are playing after all ..... The link you provided Jello's Blog, watch it again carefully (its your link after all) he is able to view his gaming through xbox both on his TV and his compuer at the same time, and his computer records it........we just need to put STB instead of xbox360 and everything else is the same.....

Dell allows to customise your laptop and my brother opted for a basic video card in obile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.

Any ways I have decided go for a cheaper solution. Which capture card would you suuggest if not Hauppauge HD DVR?

You dont have a cheaper option, as there rarely are any internal capture cards available for laptop (specially to record from a STB, cable maybe).
I could have suggested you loads of options if you had a desktop .....

I was right at the Hauppage site itself there is a capture card for Laptop as well but as I said it can only record cable TV or over the air channels (like doordarshan)

Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-HVR-950

I am losing interest in cricket and I doubt I will watch again even if I record. I am getting more and more into movies.

The deciding factor for me though is being device maynot work with my laptop. If you can assure me it will just fine (please let me mail you all the details of my laptop which Dell quoted to me), I'll still go ahead and buy.

^^ lol ......... I doubt you will buy a desktop first , I think you might as well stick with TS+ if at all recording from TV is concerned.....

That would be more convenient as I keep shifting between Kolkata and UP.

What options for desktop do you suggest?

I am thinking of dong one thing to solve my problem. Connecting the tv out of my tv to a device and recording television, then exporting the files from the device later. Can this be done? What would be the best device for this? Kindly give me options. My brother is coming from US in first week of August and can bring a device from there as well if need be.

Kindly help.

Also will this work with only cable tv or tata sky too as I am just exporting the tv out signal to a device.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back