Acoustic Portrait - Thiyaga DAC

mbhangui

I think FM gvenu owns one of these.
If I'm not mistaken, these are around 88k currently.

Last I heard the prices were 88k + shipping, or around that point. Haven't heard it yet, and as per AP there's none in Pune that pwns these :(

Last I heard the prices were 88k + shipping, or around that point. Haven't heard it yet, and as per AP there's none in Pune that pwns these :(

I think I will buy this after selling my house in Chennai :sad:

MODS: Can I sell my 2200 sqft house in Chennai on "For Sale by Owner" thread?. A 55 inches Philips Rear Projection TV (shown below) comes free with the house.

htpc.JPG

EDIT: It is 88K indeed. Got the price in this thread.
At this cost, It would be better to buy this in bangalore and hand carry it to save shipping + octroi.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have this DAC for the last > 8 months and I love it. I have also heard this against couple of very high end / expensive CDP's and DACs and this one is worth for every penny!

It has all required connectivities - SPDIFx2, OpticalX1, Async USBX1.

Thanks
Venu

MODS: Can I sell my 2200 sqft house in Chennai on "For Sale by Owner" thread?. A 55 inches Philips Rear Projection TV (shown below) comes free with the house.

It should be allowed if you're selling it for 88K;)

Hello,

I have this DAC for the last > 8 months and I love it. I have also heard this against couple of very high end / expensive CDP's and DACs and this one is worth for every penny!

It has all required connectivities - SPDIFx2, OpticalX1, Async USBX1.

Agree with you. I also did hear it at our HiFiVsion Chennai meet in Jan and have not heard anything better than this yet. Like Cadence and other Indian products, this too suffers from lack of marketing I guess.

Last edited:
Lack of confidence , trust , knowledge what not. We go abroad buy so called many brands which are made in china , malay, srilanka and India (Garments). :rolleyes:

Any idea how much it costs? How is it when compared with international brands rega, musical fidelity, arcam etc

The AP thyaga DAC is in a completely different league compared to the one you have mentioned. The Arcam has a very costly DAC these days (around 2 lakhs). I have no clue about that model though.

The Thyaga DAC sounds much better than the Reimyo DAP 777 (approx. 2 lakh retail) from personal experience / comparisons. This DAC was designed to outperform DACs at this range.

Well at first you can try mortgaging it..

A guy in Audiogon bought this after re-mortgaging his home (note the re .. god knows what he got the first time ).

Audiogon Thread

:)

Agree with you. I also did hear it at our HiFiVsion Chennai meet in Jan and have not heard anything better than this yet. Like Cadence and other Indian products, this too suffers from lack of marketing I guess.
The Acoustic Portrait demonstration/audition at the Chennai HFV meet was one of really beautiful sound and music. What we were hearing, though, was the entire system of AP products. I guess it is fair to say that any individual component should still be superb, but perhaps it sounds at its best when working with its siblings?

The Acoustic Portrait demonstration/audition at the Chennai HFV meet was one of really beautiful sound and music. What we were hearing, though, was the entire system of AP products. I guess it is fair to say that any individual component should still be superb, but perhaps it sounds at its best when working with its siblings?

What was the specs for their speakers? Do you remember the model number? What was the driver configuration?

captrajesh would be the expert: he owned them at the time :).

In fact, you could find them in the for-sale-by-owner section of the forum, but iirc, sold.

Yep, the Thiyaga dac is an excellent piece of kit. Finally though system matching plays a vital role so an all AP setup would be optimum.

And then I suggest you can start renting this DAC in Pune! Say, Rs. 500 per day? ;)

And then I suggest you can start renting this DAC in Pune! Say, Rs. 500 per day? ;)

:lol:

I like the idea. Rent-A-DAC. In US Photographers can rent lenses. Something like this can really help an audiophile do experimentation and select his/her equipment.

The AP thyaga DAC is in a completely different league compared to the one you have mentioned. The Arcam has a very costly DAC these days (around 2 lakhs). I have no clue about that model though.

The Thyaga DAC sounds much better than the Reimyo DAP 777 (approx. 2 lakh retail) from personal experience / comparisons. This DAC was designed to outperform DACs at this range.

I think the Reimyo DAP 777 was designed to compete with the DAC's back in the day (6 - 7 years ago). The AP thyaga DAC is made after the DAC market has flourished and there are enough advanced DAC chips and other components become available.

It would be really interesting to see a professional review on how the AP DAC compared with the likes of Bryston DAC which costs about 1.6L in USA.

Last edited:
Back