Active subwoofer or extra Hifi system for extra bass from my Sony HT-M5

Yogesh Khadtare

Hey folks, recently I got Sony HT-M5 Explosive 1580W RMS 5.2ch home theater component system. Well it's banging my house well but it has 2 channel rca output & my hands can't keep dem empty lol! I am basshead so I will prefer adding more subs possibly. So I have 2 options I can get Pioneer 12" active subwoofer 200w rms & second option is Pioneer x-rsm400dv 2.1ch Hifi system with 180w rms subwoofer. So m getting both for same price approximately 15k so I am thinking Hifi system would be preferable deal for me. My question is active subwoofer vs Hifi system which will throw better lows & thunderous bass! Pioneer x-rsm400dv will be imported from Indonesia as it wasn't launched in India & this unit is cheap in discounted rate as it's discontinued everywhere. I was also thinking of adding dj amp with heavy car audio subs but it will be very expensive so these 2 options are preferred.

Hi,

Most of the HIFI woofers give you boomy woofer because it is made for music and dance. Even pioneer 12" sub also give you boomy and little muddy bass. If you are ok with these things go ahead or get some other active sub which will give more deep lows...

My suggestion is that dont go for the hifi woofers

Okay! Actually I need lows but haven't seen any sub in the price range having rms more than 200w & such tiny rms subs won't stand in front of my Sony HT-M5 subs so I need something really powerful like 18" to get real brutal lows! Anyways Hifi system seems to be better deal as I can sell Hifi immediately if it fails to satisfy me. I won't be able to sell just active sub easily. Anyways thanks for reply! I thought this was great debate & I would see tons of replies over it. Anyways for thanks for sharing your thoughts Bro. Live loud!

I think your requirement is approaching towards custom cabinates.:D

If you can think of DIY, buy good home Sub Driver . Find a good 6th order or 8th order bandpass cabinet design and Start.:clapping:

Don't just go by the RMS spec to judge the power and quality of a system, there are a lot of other specs that you need to look at.

If your happy with the performance of the subwoofers in your Sony system then get a active subwoofer like the Pioneer model you were referring to. If you want better quality and deeper bass then increase you budget and go for a sub like SVS SB-1000 or SVS PB-1000.

Since your in Pune you can visit few stores like AVxellence, The soundscape, and have a demo of active subwoofers before making a decision.

Thanks for help guys! Custom cabinets sounds great for me I have pair of 12" autobahn car audio drivers in home they are 1000w rms so needs heavy amp and that's the big problem! Anyways I will get demo of some active subs den that Hifi system if both aren't great enough den custom enclosures. Thanks for ideas. Thanks nishanath for new places for demos I never visited these stores.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back