ALLO BOSS 2 PLAYER

Sean de Silva

Dear FMs lets post in this thread any issue related to the Allo Boss 2 player. I am using it with MoOde OS and Nirvana smps with a portable hdd connected to usb 3.0. Sharing pics of startup and shutdown the correct way to prevent the OS from getting corrupted. FMs please chime in.

STARTUP

Turn on mains switch (nirvana powers up, hdd light blinking and then steady)

nirvana power on.jpg

hdd.jpg

After approximately forty seconds the Boss oled display shows IP address, OS and player version

boss oled startup.jpg

Followed by volume level 0.00dB indicating that the boss 2 is now ready for use!

boss ready.jpg

SHUTDOWN

Click the small 'm' on top right of moOde screen

moode menu.jpg

A dropdown menu appears. click on 'Power' at the bottom of the menu

moode power option.jpg
The power options screen appears. Click on 'SHUTDOWN'

moode power menu.jpg
A screen appears 'Shutting down...'

moode shutting down.jpg

And finally a screen showing SYSTEM SHUT DOWN

moode shutdown.jpg
At this point the hdd light blinks and then goes off. The Boss oled remains steady at 0.00dB. I then turn off mains switch!

As a Moode user from quite few years, I can say that you don't need to strictly follow the procedure to shutdown the box. I had overcome many power failures without any issues, even manually removed power cable so many times. only thing need to worry is it should not happen when you add files or update library which may corrupt the database and you may have to rebuild the library database.

Anyway its always nice to follow good procedures..

Cheers...

MoOde has recently released v7.5.0 I updated the software following the sequence below. MoOde updated successfully however I might have encountered a minor bug at the last step..

clicked on small 'm' and 'configure'

1.jpg

Under Configuration Settings clicked 'System'

2.jpg

Under System Config clicked on 'CHECK' for software update

3.jpg

clicked on 'VIEW'

4.jpg

scrolled through the Package Content and clicked 'CLOSE'

5.jpg

6.jpg
clicked 'INSTALL'

7.jpg
The spinner started and update went through. After completion a pop-up shows as 'Software update installed Restart required'

8.jpg

clicked on 'm' , Power and 'RESTART' under Power Options

9.jpg
a pop-up shows 'Restarting...'

10.jpg
and finally 'RECONNECT , SYSTEM RESTARTED'

11.jpg

When I clicked 'RECONNECT', the light blue progress bar got stuck and nothing happened hence had to close this window and reopen a new MoOde window and click 'Update library' following which we are back in business. Is this normal or a minor bug in the software?

That doesn't seems a bug..
Ok. Later on the net was down hence the reconnect screen popped up. After around 5 mins it got reinstated, I clicked on reconnect but it said 'this site can't be reached' which meant that I couldn't shutdown via MoOde and had to switch off the boss 2 directly at mains.

My allo digione has been running for a month now. It's hooked to a ups and connected to the router via a cable.

How important is this stratup and shutdown procedure?

MaSh

My allo digione has been running for a month now. It's hooked to a ups and connected to the router via a cable.

How important is this stratup and shutdown procedure?

MaSh
Only time will tell but I'd assume that shutting down the player via the OS is the proper way to go iso a hard shutdown. I'm a greenhorn wrt Allo as compared to the vast experience of other FMs here hence I'm trying to document whatever issues I face for future reference.

Only time will tell but I'd assume that shutting down the player via the OS is the proper way to go iso a hard shutdown. I'm a greenhorn wrt Allo as compared to the vast experience of other FMs here hence I'm trying to document whatever issues I face for future reference.
You have linux on these devices and hence you can ssh to these servers. I use ssh button app on my phone to shutdown my allo devices and all computers from anywhere in the house.

Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 12.53.14.jpg

Every server you add, gets added as a button that you can click. Eg. for Allo usbridge I have added the text 'Shutdown usbridge' which then appears as a button with that text.

Screenshot_20211211-123829.jpg

e.g. for allo usbridge I have configured the command. The username and password is a standard user that I have configured on the system. I have made my own distribution. You are using moode. I think moode installs a user named 'moode'. So you can use 'moode' as the username for SSH username and the appropriate password for SSH password that you would have configured in the setup
sudo shutdown -h now
Screenshot_20211211-124415.jpg

The command is actually sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now. 'shutdown -h now' which is a standard unix command to shutdown the device immediately.

I am totally in love with the Allo Boss 2. Ever since I have started using this player, I have not touched a CD or LP. Not too keen on shuffling physical discs now thanks to the convenience of the portable hdd. I'm still very old school i.e. playing the whole album without skipping tracks or jumping albums.
The Cirrus Logic CS43198 DAC knocks my TT/CDP out of the park! The dark, neutral beautiful signature with excellent imaging and soundstage makes for compelling listening sessions.

I am totally in love with the Allo Boss 2. Ever since I have started using this player, I have not touched a CD or LP. Not too keen on shuffling physical discs now thanks to the convenience of the portable hdd. I'm still very old school i.e. playing the whole album without skipping tracks or jumping albums.
The Cirrus Logic CS43198 DAC knocks my TT/CDP out of the park! The dark, neutral beautiful signature with excellent imaging and soundstage makes for compelling listening sessions.
OH-OH
I sense a riot/protest soon from your CD/Vinyl rack.
Enjoy!!

Cheers,
Raghu

No wonder that the Allo boss 2 is allo's best selling device. My listening habit is the same. I always listen to the whole album.

Recently while playing an album, in the middle of the album the music suddenly stopped playing, android browser lost contact with moOde and wouldn't reconnect despite clicking several times on 'reconnect' hence I was forced to do a hard shutdown and restart. Is this a bug in the moOde software?

Connecting External HDD to Raspberry is High risk of HDD getting corrupted, Since the HDD doesn't spin down during power down.

So best to have a SSD with Raspberry based system. The library could be updated in SSD not in regular intravel and best solution is NAS.

Recently while playing an album, in the middle of the album the music suddenly stopped playing, android browser lost contact with moOde and wouldn't reconnect despite clicking several times on 'reconnect' hence I was forced to do a hard shutdown and restart. Is this a bug in the moOde software?
Next time something like this happens, do ssh to the device. after that issue the command
journalctl -l
Lot of output will scroll. at the bottom you will see all the lastest message. You can scroll the terminal backwards to see what happened

Next time something like this happens, do ssh to the device. after that issue the command

Lot of output will scroll. at the bottom you will see all the lastest message. You can scroll the terminal backwards to see what happened
maybe a silly question but how would this restore connectivity between android and moOde? Can this diagnosis be run while there is no network?

Connecting External HDD to Raspberry is High risk of HDD getting corrupted, Since the HDD doesn't spin down during power down.

So best to have a SSD with Raspberry based system. The library could be updated in SSD not in regular intravel and best solution is NAS.
I don't think a portable HDD is so fragile to get corrupted so easily. Doesn't it spin down completely once the light goes off. How would a SSD be superior. With corruption wouldn't the data be gone in a flash.

maybe a silly question but how would this restore connectivity between android and moOde? Can this diagnosis be run while there is no network?
boss2 has a HDMI port. Connect a HDMI monitor and keyboard, mouse to the USB port. You will get the linux display manager on the display already logged in. You can even shutdown the boss2. In case nothing is visible, then it means the OS has crashed (but that is very very unlikely). Linux is very stable and nothing in userland nowdays crashes the kernel.

Even now you can find out what happened that day if you remember the date and time. Just do
journalctl -l | less

You can scroll down by pressing the space bar. You can go to the bottom by pressing Shift + G and then again go back by pressing the letter 'b' on the keyboard. Once you arrive at the date and time the logs will show what happened

Last edited:
boss2 has a HDMI port. Connect a HDMI monitor and keyboard, mouse to the USB port. You will get the linux display manager on the display already logged in. You can even shutdown the boss2. In case nothing is visible, then it means the OS has crashed (but that is very very unlikely). Linux is very stable and nothing in userland nowdays crashes the kernel.

Even now you can find out what happened that day if you remember the date and time. Just do

You can scroll down by pressing the space bar. You can go to the bottom by pressing Shift + G and then again go back by pressing the letter 'b' on the keyboard. Once you arrive at the date and time the logs will show what happened
I assume this would be the right cable if I decide to attach a monitor/keyboard to the Boss 2? Am not very familiar with different hdmi connectors.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back