ALLO BOSS 2 PLAYER

Hello everybody, I just joined this forum.
I just received my Allo Boss2 streamer, equipped with Moode and Nirvana. It is my first RPI, so I'm just learning.
The audio quality seems quite good, I use Qobuz streaming through wifi. It is OK with 16 bit 44kHz recordings but when listening to hires recordings often it does not work because of insufficient network connection here. Would the USB dongle they sell with the streamer help? Or it would not add anything?
However, I noticed an issue that is very annoying. Each time I try to increase the audio volume with the knob of Boss2 it goes back to the ground level, -127 db (with remote control is even worse).
In the end I have been compelled to leave it on a fixed value (e.g., -7.0 db) and just use the ampli volume. Any way I can do something to fix it or it is just faulty and I have to live with it?
I will be grateful for any help and advice.

However, I noticed an issue that is very annoying. Each time I try to increase the audio volume with the knob of Boss2 it goes back to the ground level, -127 db (with remote control is even worse).
In the end I have been compelled to leave it on a fixed value (e.g., -7.0 db) and just use the ampli volume. Any way I can do something to fix it or it is just faulty and I have to live with it?
Set volume in % at Configure > Audio > ALSA Options > Max Volume. Please read the note below the settings, as this setting has different implications depending upon the volume control selection. When you experiment here, I strongly suggest using an external volume control to make sure you do not overload your speakers

The ALSA options are set like this:

Max volume 100%
Output mode Default (plughv)
Loopback Off
Multiroom Configure
Something to change?

Anyway I always keep ampli volume min when increasing the source.

You must be having the boss2 with the aluminium casing. It severely impacts the in-built wifi. Also signal quality means nothing if you have interference. Interference is the biggest reason for bad wifi performance. You may be surrounded by neighbours with wifi on the same frequence+channel. You can try changing the wifi channels by login in to the router. See this guide. You can google and get better guide to help you optimize wifi efficiency.

If changing the channels / bandwidth doesn't help, you will have to look for an external wifi dongle.
The following listed on the allo page can also be purchased from fabtolab, etc

If your allo boss2 is at a fixed place, use ethernet cable. Keeping convenience aside, Wifi sucks and will always suck and will never be able to beat good old ethernet connection. If you can connect your boss2 to the router using an ethernet cable, nothing like it. With ethernet you will get the full 1 Gbps speed. With Wifi it is very unlikely to get the advertised router wifi speed.
@mbhangui Thanks a lot for the suggestion.I bought this Usb Wifi Adapter.
The best thing is i didnt have to install any drivers manually to make it work on an rpi.I shutdown the integrated wifi and now it works like a charm.

Also for the long starting times for me on the boss2 for the latest release 8.1.2,i raised it on the support page of moode and from the logs it seem to be a mem card issue.So i have bought this WD Mem Card.

As i do have two mem cards now i plan to install diff os on the cards.Other than volumio and moode i saw RpiMusicPlayer but it seems its not supported for rpi4b.

The ones i know are:-

1.Volumio
2.MoodeAudio
3.The one stated by @jmascreen

Any more os that exist for rpi4b.?googled but find only these kind of acceptable.

RpiMusicPlayer aka runeaudio is the parent of all the current players (Volumio, Moode etc.), which is infact dead from some long time. But there is a developer (Rern) forked it again and is very much actively developed now. You can download it from GitHub. It's based on Arch linux unlike Volumio or Moode their base OS is raspian(debian). Go through the below link, you can even have an android client which is actually a wrapper of web client, work well with Moode or Volumio..

Hello everybody, I just joined this forum.
I just received my Allo Boss2 streamer, equipped with Moode and Nirvana. It is my first RPI, so I'm just learning.
The audio quality seems quite good, I use Qobuz streaming through wifi. It is OK with 16 bit 44kHz recordings but when listening to hires recordings often it does not work because of insufficient network connection here. Would the USB dongle they sell with the streamer help? Or it would not add anything?
Hey u can use this usb wifi dongle

Archer T2U

I just bought this last week (July-aug 2022).It works without installing any drivers.Just remember to switch off the integrated wifi adapter in the "system" settings.

I know theres the latest T3u ,however i dont know if it supports linux as its noit mentioned on their product page and hence i didnt take the risk.

Regarding your volume issue please comment in the below thread that i raised for version 8.0.2 on their forum

Volume issue 8.0.2

Although on the latest 8.1.2 via airplay i have seen that when you airplay a song it will go back to 0.0 and stay there.I think it goes to 127.0 in between streams.This is expected as mentioned in the thread by the developer.

Hey u can use this usb wifi dongle

Archer T2U

I just bought this last week (July-aug 2022).It works without installing any drivers.Just remember to switch off the integrated wifi adapter in the "system" settings.

I know theres the latest T3u ,however i dont know if it supports linux as its noit mentioned on their product page and hence i didnt take the risk.

Regarding your volume issue please comment in the below thread that i raised for version 8.0.2 on their forum

Volume issue 8.0.2

Although on the latest 8.1.2 via airplay i have seen that when you airplay a song it will go back to 0.0 and stay there.I think it goes to 127.0 in between streams.This is expected as mentioned in the thread by the developer.
Thanks for your reply. I just saw it now.
Will the USB dongle allow better reproduction of HR tracks? My problem is that the wifi quality now is enough for 16 bit 44 kHz, but not for HR tracks ( the wifi router is about 2.5 mt from the streamer, so it's not distance).
Regarding the volume issue, it stays on between tracks. I usually keep it at - 3/5 db on the Boss2. If I try to reach zero it falls back to - 127 db. I can stay with this, but it is sometimes annoying.
Thanks for your help

Thanks for your reply. I just saw it now.
Will the USB dongle allow better reproduction of HR tracks? My problem is that the wifi quality now is enough for 16 bit 44 kHz, but not for HR tracks ( the wifi router is about 2.5 mt from the streamer, so it's not distance).
Regarding the volume issue, it stays on between tracks. I usually keep it at - 3/5 db on the Boss2. If I try to reach zero it falls back to - 127 db. I can stay with this, but it is sometimes annoying.
Thanks for your help
i havent checked above that.have to check

Has anyone got the song information/album art to display on an attached screen for Moode Spotify Connect?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back