ALLO BOSS 2 PLAYER

so the allo boss 2 i have is connected over wifi and my home has a netgear orbi placed which covers well.the signal quality is around 77% at the device.The allo started malfunctioning only since last month.

I have moode r761 installed.downgraded from r8.0.2 because of airplay drop.

To troubleshoot i tried volumio.same kind of airplay drops.

anyone have any idea if the allo needs a wifi adapter or its a case of the rpi inbuilt network card gone bad?

If i want to buy network usb adapter what should i buy??
You must be having the boss2 with the aluminium casing. It severely impacts the in-built wifi. Also signal quality means nothing if you have interference. Interference is the biggest reason for bad wifi performance. You may be surrounded by neighbours with wifi on the same frequence+channel. You can try changing the wifi channels by login in to the router. See this guide. You can google and get better guide to help you optimize wifi efficiency.

If changing the channels / bandwidth doesn't help, you will have to look for an external wifi dongle.
The following listed on the allo page can also be purchased from fabtolab, etc

If your allo boss2 is at a fixed place, use ethernet cable. Keeping convenience aside, Wifi sucks and will always suck and will never be able to beat good old ethernet connection. If you can connect your boss2 to the router using an ethernet cable, nothing like it. With ethernet you will get the full 1 Gbps speed. With Wifi it is very unlikely to get the advertised router wifi speed.

Last edited:
You must be having the boss2 with the aluminium casing. It severely impacts the in-built wifi. Also signal quality means nothing if you have interference. Interference is the biggest reason for bad wifi performance. You may be surrounded by neighbours with wifi on the same frequence+channel. You can try changing the wifi channels by login in to the router. See this guide. You can google and get better guide to help you optimize wifi efficiency.

If changing the channels / bandwidth doesn't help, you will have to look for an external wifi dongle.
The following listed on the allo page can also be purchased from fabtolab, etc

If your allo boss2 is at a fixed place, use ethernet cable. Keeping convenience aside, Wifi sucks and will always suck and will never be able to beat good old ethernet connection. If you can connect your boss2 to the router using an ethernet cable, nothing like it. With ethernet you will get the full 1 Gbps speed. With Wifi it is very unlikely to get the advertised router wifi speed.
exsctly its in an aliminium casing.i will check by changing the channels.

the problem with wifi adapters is that i think the ones from tplink etc might not work with rpi i guess

exsctly its in an aliminium casing.i will check by changing the channels.

the problem with wifi adapters is that i think the ones from tplink etc might not work with rpi i guess
It depends on the chip used. If the chip is from broadcom or other manufacturer with proprietary drivers, it will not work. In all cases I have managed to make them work by searching github for open source reverse-engineered drivers and compiling the driver myself.

It depends on the chip used. If the chip is from broadcom or other manufacturer with proprietary drivers, it will not work. In all cases I have managed to make them work by searching github for open source reverse-engineered drivers and compiling the driver myself.
yes i guess the allo boss 2 has broadcom chip.i checked the system.good point.drivers.let me check that

Allo themselves recommending to use external dual band wifi adaptor for their Boss2 player. If there is an option to use ethernet cable, that would be the best option.

Dear FMs lets post in this thread any issue related to the Allo Boss 2 player. I am using it with MoOde OS and Nirvana smps with a portable hdd connected to usb 3.0. Sharing pics of startup and shutdown the correct way to prevent the OS from getting corrupted. FMs please chime in.

STARTUP

Turn on mains switch (nirvana powers up, hdd light blinking and then steady)

View attachment 64987

View attachment 64992

After approximately forty seconds the Boss oled display shows IP address, OS and player version

View attachment 64993

Followed by volume level 0.00dB indicating that the boss 2 is now ready for use!

View attachment 64994

SHUTDOWN

Click the small 'm' on top right of moOde screen

View attachment 64995

A dropdown menu appears. click on 'Power' at the bottom of the menu

View attachment 64996
The power options screen appears. Click on 'SHUTDOWN'

View attachment 64997
A screen appears 'Shutting down...'

View attachment 64998

And finally a screen showing SYSTEM SHUT DOWN

View attachment 64999
At this point the hdd light blinks and then goes off. The Boss oled remains steady at 0.00dB. I then turn off mains switch!
Hello,
I have very basic knowledge of technology,
Recently bought allo boss 2 and pi4.
I was able to write image of pi4 onto sd card and run it through boss 2.
I was playing the music without any issue. But the screen on boss 2 remained off entire time. While the music was playing i just pressed and holder the button on boss 2 and suddenly it stopped working.. since then i am not able to turn it on again..
please help

Hello,
I have very basic knowledge of technology,
Recently bought allo boss 2 and pi4.
I was able to write image of pi4 onto sd card and run it through boss 2.
I was playing the music without any issue. But the screen on boss 2 remained off entire time. While the music was playing i just pressed and holder the button on boss 2 and suddenly it stopped working.. since then i am not able to turn it on again..
please help
Which button?

so continuing with my earlier thread here about disconnections on my allo boss 2,i made some changes.

Though i have two mesh routers spread in a 1200sq feet single storied home and the satellite really close to the boss 2,i have included a single band dlink extender.frim the extender i connected the boss 2 using ethernet cable.

still today when i played from my phone the airplay is still patchy randomly.its not like always but still.

Thing is since i got this boss2 i have never faced such an issue ever.now i really dont understnd as to whats wrong..
i am using the same moode r716 that used to play earlier without any hiccups.

so continuing with my earlier thread here about disconnections on my allo boss 2,i made some changes.

Though i have two mesh routers spread in a 1200sq feet single storied home and the satellite really close to the boss 2,i have included a single band dlink extender.frim the extender i connected the boss 2 using ethernet cable.

still today when i played from my phone the airplay is still patchy randomly.its not like always but still.

Thing is since i got this boss2 i have never faced such an issue ever.now i really dont understnd as to whats wrong..
i am using the same moode r716 that used to play earlier without any hiccups.
moode, voliumio are just dummies that give you an interface to configure your RPI or give a web interface to play your songs. For everthing the actual work is done by something else. e.g. for airplay, the program that does airplay is shairport-sync. Depending on your dac, shairport-sync may require adjustments in /etc/shairport-sync.conf. You will have to play with the alsa settings, buffer size, timings, etc to fine tune it.

This is my /etc/shairport-sync.conf for piano dac. For boss dac it could be different. For another device, the usbridge, the default works without any issues. But for my piano dac without the below settings, airplay just doesn't work. The smileys below are actually doube colon followed by the letter P. Hifivsion converts them into smileys.

alsa =
{
output_device = "hw:pianoDACPlus";
mixer_control_name = "Master";
mixer_device = "hw:pianoDACPlus";
output_rate = 352800;
#output_format = "S32";
};

moode, voliumio are just dummies that give you an interface to configure your RPI or give a web interface to play your songs. For everthing the actual work is done by something else. e.g. for airplay, the program that does airplay is shairport-sync. Depending on your dac, shairport-sync may require adjustments in /etc/shairport-sync.conf. You will have to play with the alsa settings, buffer size, timings, etc to fine tune it.

This is my /etc/shairport-sync.conf for piano dac. For boss dac it could be different. For another device, the usbridge, the default works without any issues. But for my piano dac without the below settings, airplay just doesn't work. The smileys below are actually doube colon followed by the letter P. Hifivsion converts them into smileys.
i will check this

I was using debain 11/moode/volumio/dietpi with mpd and logitech media server. Couple of days back I have installed Arch linux based Manjaro and to me it sounded the best. Will try real time kernel this weekend has the document says it will reduce the jitters etc

I was using debain 11/moode/volumio/dietpi with mpd and logitech media server. Couple of days back I have installed Arch linux based Manjaro and to me it sounded the best. Will try real time kernel this weekend has the document says it will reduce the jitters etc
real-time kernel?

ok a noob ques.is real time kernel something u install on allo boss2 or its kind of an install over already installed debian/ubuntu or arch derivative??i am really confused.it would help if you elaborate on it a little
Yes its a part of OS

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back