Altec Lansing BXR 1221 - Portable 2.1 Spk Review

sam9s

Hi All,

I was looking for a small replacement for my laptop inbuilt spks with some decent sounding small portable external spks. Now going by a quick research I found, that portable small speaker segment is very much dead in terms of getting even a decent quality sound. Sure there are loads of portable small cute spks out there just for your laptop, but every single one of them, sounded absolute flat ...... with an exception of a few which were a wee bit better, but nothing that was even satisfactory.

After a lot of tiny auditions I finally managed to get a decent pair of laptop speakers (when I had almost given up on the research).....that too 2.1, yes there is a mini sub as well and the entire product is small enough to be called portable. Welcome The Altec Lansing BXR 1221 . About the sound, first check oout the snaps of the product below .....

533936thickbox.jpg

altecbxr1221.jpg

For a relative size check out the snap below, with my wallet placed alongside. the height of the sub is not more than 2 times any regular wallet.

imag0107crop.jpg

They are so tiny for a 2.1 that I was too skeptical, for the sound they would give, but I was pretty wrong and yet again Altec Lansing proved themselves. Believe me for the size, of this entire unit, the quality and the bass produced was top notch, when I say bass I hope you understand, I would not mean jaw dropping thumping base, but decent and effective enough to be easily be felt in the song. The volume is more than enough to fill the small laptop area you would be working, infact at full, I can assure the volume is enough to fill a 10x10 room. Sound does not break or thrash at all at full volume, and the quality of voice is top notch. I seriously wonder how altech was able to fit that much quality in so tiny speaker. I played couple of 320kbps MP3s and listining to them was very soothing and enjoyable. Infact I was lying on my bed with these placed at the back of my head very close to my ears, and I could feel the quality of the music playing with every note very distinguishable , even at very low volume. Perfect for some light listening before bed time.

Coming to the price, I got these one just for 1200, from staples TGIP Mall Noida and I seriously feel they are worth. I also tried a model from Logitech, but was not at all impressed. People who want a decent portable 2.1 for laptop or for mobile, this is the one. Heck I would infact suggest to get this instead of any tiny 2.0 speakers out there, sure they are not as portable as say two small USB cups that one can carry in side there bag, but definatey sound far far far better than any portable 2.0 setup out there for laptops/mobiles/mp3 playes .....

Regards
Sammy

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back