ALTO Re-ICEing help needed

sabret00the

Hi All,

I know that there a bunch of ALTO/small car ice threads around but I created this thread since I'm in doubt about a few things.

Issue:- Not happy with the sound quality of the current setup. Although the setup sounds okay at lower volumes but base falls completely flat and sound breaks when I increase the volume to about 40-45 (max being 62). Sounds like a Road side setup and ruins the listening experience.

Current Setup:-

Pioneer DEH-7950UB
Front - JBL GT5 402 - Dash mounted
Rear - JBL GTO 937 mounted on installer provided MDF Plank
God knows what wiring.
No damping off course.

Plan to do:-

Retain the HU & the rear speakers (GTOs). Dont want the MDF anymore since that saves me a lot of space.

Want any front speaker (read compos or coaxials) that would give me good sound output. Something that will not break when volume is increased. I dont mind if it is not that loud.

2nd dilemma - where to put the rear co-axials now that the mdf is not there.

3rd dilemma - Do I need an amp or a sub for my tiny little car? Never had one & hence not sure how will it sound? Open to the idea though.

4th doubt - Do I need damping? If yes then which brand? What about wiring? How important is that? Which brand again?

Last dilemma - My budget for the above is 10-15K (+/- 2-3K) & where to get this done in Bangalore so that I drive out with a smile on my face :)

Hi All,

I know that there a bunch of ALTO/small car ice threads around but I created this thread since I'm in doubt about a few things.

Issue:- Not happy with the sound quality of the current setup. Although the setup sounds okay at lower volumes but base falls completely flat and sound breaks when I increase the volume to about 40-45 (max being 62). Sounds like a Road side setup and ruins the listening experience.

Current Setup:-

Pioneer DEH-7950UB
Front - JBL GT5 402 - Dash mounted
Rear - JBL GTO 937 mounted on installer provided MDF Plank
God knows what wiring.
No damping off course.

Plan to do:-

Retain the HU & the rear speakers (GTOs). Dont want the MDF anymore since that saves me a lot of space.

Want any front speaker (read compos or coaxials) that would give me good sound output. Something that will not break when volume is increased. I dont mind if it is not that loud.

2nd dilemma - where to put the rear co-axials now that the mdf is not there.

3rd dilemma - Do I need an amp or a sub for my tiny little car? Never had one & hence not sure how will it sound? Open to the idea though.

4th doubt - Do I need damping? If yes then which brand? What about wiring? How important is that? Which brand again?

Last dilemma - My budget for the above is 10-15K (+/- 2-3K) & where to get this done in Bangalore so that I drive out with a smile on my face :)

Go for infinity reference series compos, illusion audio co_axials, kenwood 646 amplifier ,and jbl tube woofer.
Thts a good budget setup

Here is what I would have done with a 15k budget.

1st Option
-- Get a decent set of components at 6/7k , you have cheaper options too at 5k change. Depends on what pleases your ears.
In an alto to install components you will need to cut the door pads.
-- Invest in a good powerful 2 channel amp.
-- 16 Gauge wiring.
-- Move the rear ovals from the parcel tray to the boot lid. Yes MDF boards are available so that you can mount the ovals on the boot lid.
Additionally I would do some damping for the boot-lid so that it doesn't rattle. The easiest way is to use cotton waste and fill up the hollow space in the boot-lid.

2nd Option

If cutting the front door pads isn't an option, then
-- Get a good pair of front speakers and audition before you install them. There are a few good sounding models available in the market.This would work cheaper than the Components and you can install them in the dash.
-- Invest in a nice sounding rear ovals ,2 channel amplifier and cables.

Now to answer your questions

First and 2nd one already answered.

Well I had a 4 channel amp and monobloc in my alto , which I sold in 2006. ICE is a bottomless pit you see. You can never have enough of it.

Yes, the newer alto's rattle like crazy. I speak from experience since my dad drives one. Damping there are umpteen brands available. However if you wanna do a DIY install, then use yoga mats. I have done one already.
Wiring is also equally important, I think its 16 gauge that is used.
Stinger,Scoche, Monster and the regular el-cheapo JC Road cabling.

Last dilemma - My budget for the above is 10-15K (+/- 2-3K) & where to get this done in Bangalore so that I drive out with a smile on my face

Depends on where you live. In Indiranagar you can try EVO(satya), Torque(Pawan) in JeevanBhima Nagar, Sachin's autoshop in Kormangala and Auto Fusion(Thouqeer) in Kormanagala.

After you are done with the upgrade send me a PM, I will be obliged to join you for lunch and a beer :D.

Go for infinity reference series compos, illusion audio co_axials, kenwood 646 amplifier ,and jbl tube woofer.
Thts a good budget setup

Here is what I would have done with a 15k budget.

1st Option
-- Get a decent set of components at 6/7k , you have cheaper options too at 5k change. Depends on what pleases your ears.
In an alto to install components you will need to cut the door pads.
-- Invest in a good powerful 2 channel amp.
-- 16 Gauge wiring.
-- Move the rear ovals from the parcel tray to the boot lid. Yes MDF boards are available so that you can mount the ovals on the boot lid.
Additionally I would do some damping for the boot-lid so that it doesn't rattle. The easiest way is to use cotton waste and fill up the hollow space in the boot-lid.

2nd Option

If cutting the front door pads isn't an option, then
-- Get a good pair of front speakers and audition before you install them. There are a few good sounding models available in the market.This would work cheaper than the Components and you can install them in the dash.
-- Invest in a nice sounding rear ovals ,2 channel amplifier and cables.

Now to answer your questions

First and 2nd one already answered.

Well I had a 4 channel amp and monobloc in my alto , which I sold in 2006. ICE is a bottomless pit you see. You can never have enough of it.

Yes, the newer alto's rattle like crazy. I speak from experience since my dad drives one. Damping there are umpteen brands available. However if you wanna do a DIY install, then use yoga mats. I have done one already.
Wiring is also equally important, I think its 16 gauge that is used.
Stinger,Scoche, Monster and the regular el-cheapo JC Road cabling.

Depends on where you live. In Indiranagar you can try EVO(satya), Torque(Pawan) in JeevanBhima Nagar, Sachin's autoshop in Kormangala and Auto Fusion(Thouqeer) in Kormanagala.

After you are done with the upgrade send me a PM, I will be obliged to join you for lunch and a beer :D.

Thanks guys for the above post and sorry for the late response but I think I finally found the solution to the space problem.

1. Keep the Pioneer DEH-7950UB
2. Corner mount the JBL GTO 937 on the boot walls (saves boot space)
3. Add a Sound Ordnance B-8PT 120-watt compact powered subwoofer (again saves precious boot space while the sound is quite big for the tiny cabin)
4. Sub comes with it's own cabling so get new cables for the rest of the speakers.
5. Add damping.

Question still remains what happens to the front speakers? keep them or lose them for door speakers?

:confused:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back