Simple ICE 2 way Active on VW Vento

balavignesh002

***Long post alert***

Three years ago I uninstalled the 4 way Active ICE Audio in my Vento as I want to to sell the car. But post lock down I thought will not buy a new car and retained the old one as it is.

Now thought of ICEing the car with lower budget and better quality on sound. I have few electronics (Amplifiers and Headunits) idle in my wardrobe can use them, but speakers i have to procure. Based on the experience, well wishers advise and learnings from this forum decided to go with Home audio drivers, rather than importing costly Car audio drivers.

Here is the chain of components:

Source: CLAIRON HX D2 SE - This is a CD Player with built in DSP, DAC / ADC and Preamp. It has a dedicated external power supply and wiring harness.

HXD2-1.jpeg
HXD2-2.jpeg

Interconnect Cables: Tchernov Special Mk 2 - 5 meter pairs its a carry forward from my previous install.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 12.09.59.jpeg

Amplification: Quite a few options I have, but want to use Brian B4 and A80 (Power Supply)

Brian B4.jpeg

Drivers Midbass: This time I want to try Home audio drivers which can be suitable for Car Installation. After few think through, decided on Dayton reference 7 inch Paper cone mid-bass. which can fit in the doors of Vento easily as I earlier used HAT L6 V2 which is a 180mm driver. I need to buy this, then made an order on diyaudiocart.com. Received them on time.

RS180P-4 7" Reference Paper Woofer 4 Ohm is very well bade and I like paper cones. I received an Made in Taiwan.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 12.40.46.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 12.41.42 (2).jpeg

Drivers Tweeters: This is very tricky to decide, most of the home audio tweeters are big in size. Since i have already been used to ring radiators of HAT L1 PRO R2, I had mode inclination to some thing of same kind. And i want it to be weight less for easy install. Finalized on SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 Neo Magnet, Ring Dome Tweeter. the tweeter is decent compact and light weight with Neo Magnets covered on them. I made one more order on diyaudiocraft.com, which i received on time.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 13.00.17 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 13.00.18.jpeg

SB TW.jpeg

I have been testing on the system in home in the past and all works well. All i need to do is find a good installer and proceed to get them all installed to my preference. This is a big task, will keep posted on that.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 13.00.17.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 13.00.17.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
I think your's is HXD2 special edition. A truly awesome head unit.

I too will will be ic-eing my Indica soon, but going this time with just a pair of Hi-Q drivers on the front doors that I have ordered from Sweton (Kolkutta).
In the hunt for a basic used head unit with built-in amp, TA and EQ as my Eclipse has developed issues.

sweton.jpg

Tweeter Installation:
This time I don't want to do any fabrication of A pillar as the car is in Madurai and couldn't find any fabricator locally. I have been left with an option of either go down to Chennai or Cochin or Bangalore for fabrication alone. other way is to ship the A pillar cover to fabricator. So decided to go with pods this time.

Ordered a pair of custom made pods and 360 degree adjustable ball joint mounts for SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 Tweeters from VALICAR Germany. with in 4 days Pods were made and shipped through UPS.

Pods arrived after couple of week waiting but to my surprise the box was opened (Should be by UPS) and I found one of the pods damaged slightly on the edge.

The pods were well made and finished in powdered mat black finish.

Aluminum Pods with cover grills, mounting accessories and Ball joints. marked the dented edge.
Pod1.jpg

I tried to remove the dent with tools what I have in home. Some how tinkered it well to my satisfaction. RHS is the dented one.
Pod2.jpg

Pods loaded with Tweeters. Fits well and nicely, Excellent craftsmanship and quality.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 20.48.26 (1).jpeg

Pods fitted with movable ball joints, this will help in aiming the desired direction for tuning TA and staging on dash.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-18 at 20.48.26 (2).jpeg

Soldering Tweeter leads: Being Aluminum pods used to mounting tweeter want to be careful about ending up short circuiting. The tweeter leads are very close to the pod walls, so decided to solder the wire and cover it with heat shrink. Since its Sunday its not easy to source thin cable to route them in side the pods to tweeter. The 16 AWG cable what I have in hand is thick, but the holes can take it.

Used Mundrof 9% silver Soldering wire for better contact. This doesn't melt easily and not easy to Solder wire to thin. So crimped it post soldering.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-19 at 16.43.57.jpeg

Both the Tweeters Soldered and insulated with double layer of Heat shrink.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-19 at 16.44.24.jpeg

Fitted with Allen screws for better grip

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-19 at 19.39.06.jpeg

With Protective Honey Comb aluminum grills

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-19 at 19.39.06 (1).jpeg

Soldering Tweeter leads: Being Aluminum pods used to mounting tweeter want to be careful about ending up short circuiting. The tweeter leads are very close to the pod walls, so decided to solder the wire and cover it with heat shrink. Since its Sunday its not easy to source thin cable to route them in side the pods to tweeter. The 16 AWG cable what I have in hand is thick, but the holes can take it.

Used Mundrof 9% silver Soldering wire for better contact. This doesn't melt easily and not easy to Solder wire to thin. So crimped it post soldering.

View attachment 65467

Both the Tweeters Soldered and insulated with double layer of Heat shrink.

View attachment 65468

Fitted with Allen screws for better grip

View attachment 65469

With Protective Honey Comb aluminum grills

View attachment 65470
Use fiberfill or cotton wads to fll the interiors of the pod

I think your's is HXD2 special edition. A truly awesome head unit.

I too will will be ic-eing my Indica soon, but going this time with just a pair of Hi-Q drivers on the front doors that I have ordered from Sweton (Kolkutta).
In the hunt for a basic used head unit with built-in amp, TA and EQ as my Eclipse has developed issues.

View attachment 65343
The clarion HXd2 is hands down the sweetest head unit I have heard to date !! you there have a gem, eagerly waiting for more on your install.

there are a few eclipse 5200mkII still available on olx last I saw. the 7200mkII are also available but they don't have a built-in amp. Pioneer 80prs/prs80 are also available cheaply in used market for under 10k . its the era of 10inch android hu's , a lot of older good stuff floating around nowadays

Last edited by a moderator:
there are a few eclipse 5200mkII still available on olx last I saw. the 7200mkII are also available but they don't have a built-in amp. Pioneer 80prs/prs80 are also available cheaply in used market for under 10k . its the era of 10inch android hu's , a lot of older good stuff floating around nowadays
I sm looking at head units sub 3000 bucks.

In my personal experience, only alpines sound decent to my ears for anything under 5k. They maintain a minimum standard even with their lower-tier models.
There were some good HUs during the Pio 80prs days from Kenwood and JVC. Anyhow I am going to use Hi-Q drivers. So a decent HU will be enough. Just need TA and EQ.

Good choice of drivers and HU. OP, with a source like that, your audio chain has strong foundation. Just installing two way upfront? No sub section? Vento is decent car, wont be a nightmare from damping prespective.

Any specific information on sources, where the items are available for mentioned price?
Kenwood is decent option, finding a good single din is getting harder. Entry level Kenwood can be sourced within stated budget.
I am trying to source through a local car audio store.

Use fiberfill or cotton wads to fll the interiors of the pod
Will try that, thanks
The clarion HXd2 is hands down the sweetest head unit I have heard to date !! you there have a gem, eagerly waiting for more on your install.
Yes its is, Thanks. will post as i proceed.
Good choice of drivers and HU. OP, with a source like that, your audio chain has strong foundation. Just installing two way upfront? No sub section? Vento is decent car, wont be a nightmare from damping prespective.
Day one plan is to use just 2 way. later may add an active sub under the seat.

Where did you the Mundrof 9% silver Solder from ? Still have some left for sale?
Good choice of drivers and HU. OP, with a source like that, your audio chain has strong foundation. Just installing two way upfront? No sub section? Vento is decent car, wont be a nightmare from damping perspective.

Any specific information on sources, where the items are available for mentioned price?
Kenwood is decent option, finding a good single din is getting harder. Entry level Kenwood can be sourced within stated budget.
There are many car audio groups on Fb and sellers on olx which sell only used car audio equipment . On fb you can search for "india car audio enthusiasts+ ice build " , " python audio " , on olx you will find sellers like "sound aligners" and then there is team bhp classifieds.

Where did you the Mundrof 9% silver Solder from ? Still have some left for sale?
I got it from Hificollective.com. you can buy it from there.

Amplifier Rack: Decided to place the amp on the floor of the boot with a MDF rack. Some WIP pictures.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-27 at 17.28.20.jpeg

Amplifier Rack fits perfectly in to the boot
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-27 at 17.28.20 (1).jpeg

Accommodates Amplifier and power unit
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-27 at 17.28.53.jpeg

Nice choice of gears & nice WIP photos balavignesh, keep them coming...
I am trying to source through a local car audio store.
Have you sourced your HU Kannan Sir? If not, I will give away my Alpine CDA117 HU & PXA-H100 imprint to you, you may use them for your active set up

Have you sourced your HU Kannan Sir? If not, I will give away my Alpine CDA117 HU & PXA-H100 imprint to you, you may use them for your active set up
Thanks for the offer Sajeet. I have still not sourced the HU

Finally the Installation:

I Used Stinger 4 AWG power cable tined copper with 150A fuse on the short to the batteries. RCA Cables router through the center hump, power on wires on the left running board and Speaker wire on the respective sides.

Since the car is already damped don't have to bother about it.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.06.jpeg

Full team doing multitasking to finish it before the day ends.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.07 (3).jpeg

Pulling the midbass out as much possible with spacer. The spacer is wrapped with fox leather for better grip and sealing.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.08 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.08 (3).jpeg

Dayton Audio RS180P-4 7" Reference Paper Woofer mounted on doors of Vento.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.07 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.07 (2).jpeg

SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 Neo Magnet, Ring Dome Tweeter on custom aluminum pod (imported from Germany) installed on Vento A pillar. angled to the center of car as much as possible. Its more important to mount it on a optimal location for better staging.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.07 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.08 (4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 22.15.08 (5).jpeg

For got to take a picture of headunit installed. as i got busy in tuning the ICE Gears.

DSP Settings: Crossed the tweeter at 2500Hz with 12db slope, Band passed midbass from 80Hz to 2500Hz with 12db Slope both xovers, put the midbass on 180 degree phase shift to cancel phase shift initiated by 12db slope. Did some distance measurement to the listening position and applied the time delay and did some 3 db SPL adjustment to RHS drivers the setup is tuned to the driver seat. Can clearly sense out the staging on dash from the driver seat.

I decided to use it for some time and do a measurement with mic once the drivers completes basic break in whit the car environment. Clarion HX D2 SE has a built in parametric eq options, want to see if I need to make use of them. to my ears its all ok as of now but need to listen more of my CDs to conclude on the same. think some 5 to 10 hours will do, as I have been testing them on home for more than 25 hours.

Sound Outcome: This is amusing, honestly didn't expect this sound quality and outcome on these drivers. very detailed vocals as if like a dedicated midrange out there. silky smooth highs. Strong presentation. this is way better than a 750$ Tweeter and 600$ midbass.

A small Video clip I managed to catch when we are out for New Year Shopping and celebrations.

Sample Video

The car is out on duty will post some more pics when I get it. Its a memorable Gift to us on the eve of New Year 2022. I wish you all a happy and musical new year a head.

Last edited:
nice, simple and functional.
A good setup in a car, especially while traveling alone, is far more intimate and enriching than listening at home in my experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back