Amp + Floorstander Recommendations. Budget Rs.2L

sonic-wanderer

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a Cambridge Azur 340A SE amp and Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelves.

Since demos are being discouraged, I need to rely on your expertise and experience in picking a tried and tested winning combo of an Integrated Stereo Amp and Floorstanding speakers. An amp with room correction built in would be brilliant! My budget is Rs.2 Lakh (upper limit).

I listen mostly to jazz, rock, pop, some classical, and old Hindi songs.

Sources are mainly Flac, CD and some Vinyl.

Thanks!

Assuming "approximately" 40% for amplifier and 60% for speakers, and an inevitable overshoot of your budget by atleast 10%, a probable list of the amplifiers is...

Marantz PM8006
Audiolab 6000A
Rega Brio
Cambridge CXA61
Marantz NR1200 if streaming is required.

All are high quality, one or two steps above entry level equipment. Choose as per required features and match with compatible speakers in the price range of 1 to 1.2L, and you are set for 10 years. Unless the upgrade bug bites you sooner :cool:

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a Cambridge Azur 340A SE amp and Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelves.

Since demos are being discouraged, I need to rely on your expertise and experience in picking a tried and tested winning combo of an Integrated Stereo Amp and Floorstanding speakers. An amp with room correction built in would be brilliant! My budget is Rs.2 Lakh (upper limit).

I listen mostly to jazz, rock, pop, some classical, and old Hindi songs.

Sources are mainly Flac, CD and some Vinyl.

Thanks!
Are you set on buying new with the 2L budget? If you are open to used you can get a very very good system compared to your current one for 2L INR

Thanks all!

@Lizard King much appreciated! The list is pretty much bang on what I've been considering... would love to hear your speaker suggestions to pair these with.

@vineetrad I've been lurking in the 'For sale by owner' thread for a while, but haven't come across (or don't know enough to choose) something I like.

@spirovious thanks for the Daali suggestion. I'm not particularly hung up on the Wharfedale sound... would love to try something new.

Thanks all!

@Lizard King much appreciated! The list is pretty much bang on what I've been considering... would love to hear your speaker suggestions to pair these with.

@vineetrad I've been lurking in the 'For sale by owner' thread for a while, but haven't come across (or don't know enough to choose) something I like.

@spirovious thanks for the Daali suggestion. I'm not particularly hung up on the Wharfedale sound... would love to try something new.
Will share my thoughts over the weekend.

Any reason to prefer floor standers? The reason I ask is if I have 1L to spend on a floor stander or a bookshelf - the 1L bookshelf will generally have higher quality drivers, cabinet, bracing and overall better, more refined sound (except bass extension - here too the bookshelf will likely have better bass quality but less quantity). If required you can integrate a good subwoofer like a REL or JL Audio later for more bass extension.

Did you check the Rega amp on sale?

MaSh

Do check out IndiQAudio Platinum Achal FS and Platinum Saptak Power amp. Personally auditioned most of the brand offerings under 1.3L and nothing sounded as balanced as the Platinum Achal. To get a considerable upgrade over the Achal you will need to go atleast 2-3 times the price

+ 1 from me as well. Do check out the Platinum Achal and Saptak dual mono. They are a wonderful combination one could get, and pairs very well any pre amp you throw at it. These speakers especially are very efficient and can be run even with a single digit watt amps. The combination of the two is the one to crave for.

Regards,
Som

For around 2L, I would pick Audiolab 6000A + Dynaudio Emit 20. Both brand new should be around 1.60.

6000A has a very good DAC and good connectivity options and M20 is more than ideal for the listening preferences you have mentioned.

If you really want FS then consider Q Acoustics 3050i which should be priced considerably lesser than M20.

With the remaining budget, for room correction try to get hold of the Paradigm PW Link, ( around 30k) which is a streamer/dac/pre with Anthem room correction. Has optical connectivity options and you can even connect your TT to its analogue inputs.

Having a streamer would open up a whole new world of content and with ARC, what's there not to like.

It could also be that you are not fully happy with your present setup due to room acoustics. You could initially try to get the PW Link only, run the room correction and see if you like it on your current gear.

There are a lot of superb reviews and happy owners of Indiq Audio. They do give home trial as well. They will be very happy to even customisethe speakers for your needs.

A lot of solid pre-owned equipment also listed in the For Sale section.

Why don't you check out Indiq Platinum Achal? A lot of FM have gone for it recently. Even a group buy is on. Check if you can still join.
Do check out IndiQAudio Platinum Achal FS and Platinum Saptak Power amp. Personally auditioned most of the brand offerings under 1.3L and nothing sounded as balanced as the Platinum Achal. To get a considerable upgrade over the Achal you will need to go atleast 2-3 times the price
+ 1 from me as well. Do check out the Platinum Achal and Saptak dual mono. They are a wonderful combination one could get, and pairs very well any pre amp you throw at it. These speakers especially are very efficient and can be run even with a single digit watt amps. The combination of the two is the one to crave for.

Regards,
Som

Wow! so many recommendations for IndiqAudio Platinum Achal and Saptak. Seems like I just missed the group buy.

Any reason to prefer floor standers? The reason I ask is if I have 1L to spend on a floor stander or a bookshelf - the 1L bookshelf will generally have higher quality drivers, cabinet, bracing and overall better, more refined sound (except bass extension - here too the bookshelf will likely have better bass quality but less quantity). If required you can integrate a good subwoofer like a REL or JL Audio later for more bass extension.
Point taken, but I prefer floorstanders for overall sound quality and deeper bass, and I've never really liked subwoofers.

Did you check the Rega amp on sale?

MaSh
Yup, but still undecided over new vs used.

I would suggest add Marantz PM7000N to list of amps to audition.
Thanks, consider it

Yup, but still undecided over new vs used.

Thanks, consider it
Point taken, but I prefer floorstanders for overall sound quality and deeper bass, and I've never really liked subwoofers.

Fair enough. You have not shared anything about the size of your room and listening distance, do you have sufficient space to pull out your speakers from the wall, etc. The room contributes majorly to the sound you hear. Wrong sized speakers for a room, or badly positioned speakers (ported keep flush agaisnt a wall) can ruin the most superb speakers.

Also, it would help to know what you liked about the Diamond 220. They are certainly laid back so Monitor Audio, Focals, etc which are more forward would not be recommended if you already like the Wharfedale type of sound. That will help eliminate options.

As someone has already mentioned invest first in good Set Floorstanders and buy the matching amplification later. There are lots of Good floorstanders on HFV classifieds currently.
Triangle Floorstanders
Audio Note AZ 2
Ascendo C6 etc

BTW, I'll be Selling my less than 2yr old, Focals Aria 926 floorstanders soon, as I have upgraded. You'll get many good offers if you can open a Wanted Thread.

Had not noticed that you have Wharfedale Diamond 220s.

I had them for many years, and have now upgraded to Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders.
If you like the Wharfedales, I would suggest you consider Dali seriously.

Dali Oberon 5 + Marantz PM7000N is a killer combo.

As someone has already mentioned invest first in good Set Floorstanders and buy the matching amplification later. There are lots of Good floorstanders on HFV classifieds currently.
Triangle Floorstanders
Audio Note AZ 2
Ascendo C6 etc

BTW, I'll be Selling my less than 2yr old, Focals Aria 926 floorstanders soon, as I have upgraded. You'll get many good offers if you can open a Wanted Thread.
What is the expected price for focal aria 926 floorstanding speakers brother

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back