(Another) Pearl 2 Buiild

You will need to replace 1k resisters(R14) on Pearl to lower values like 330R to get 62db(approx)gain.

Regards,
Sachin
That seems correct, thanks sachin. I just saw this. Today returned from travel.

Other way is increase R15 (which in series of 100K) by additional 10K steps use that shorted jumper position Rx to add more feedback.

Last edited:
That seems correct, thanks sachin. I just saw this. Today returned from travel.

Other way is increase R15 (which in series of 100K) by additional 10K steps use that shorted jumper position Rx to add more feedback.

Thanks, Om. I re-read Pearl II article and it suggests using 300 Ohms in R14 to up the gain from 55 to 65 dB. And as suggested by you, the alternative is to remove the shorting from R15 and increase that value.

Thanks, Om. I re-read Pearl II article and it suggests using 300 Ohms in R14 to up the gain from 55 to 65 dB. And as suggested by you, the alternative is to remove the shorting from R15 and increase that value.

I personally kept it default gain and using SUT for my denon 103R MC cart.

Going by reviews, it seems pearl 2 does not provide enough gain for LOMC. People are using MM/HOMC or SUT for LOMC.

Regards
Sachin

I personally kept it default gain and using SUT for my denon 103R MC cart.

What's a "cheap and best" SUT? I have been wanting one but can't find one within my mental budget. I found one really good one recently but the seller is asking too much.

Actually even with the default gain, I can turn the knob of the B1 more to get the desired loudness. It's just that I need to turn it up much more than when using the Hypnotoad AD797. I mean much more.

Joshua, In a almost similar chain as yours, I used to turn the vol to 2 o'clock or more before I added another B1 buffer ahead of vol pot and did the 221 ohm resistor mod, now I am contained at 12 o'clock or less. You could try it before buying a SUT, and even if you decide to buy one later, the above mod will bring sonic benefits anyway along with the gain.
Regards,
sann'

Last edited:
Joshua, In a almost similar chain as yours, I used to turn the vol to 2 o'clock or more before I added another B1 buffer ahead of vol pot and did the 221 ohm resister mod, now I am contained at 12 o'clock or less. You could try it before buying a SUT, and even if you decide to buy one later, the above mod will bring sonic benefits anyway along with the gain.
Regards,
sann'

Thanks, sann. Is this same like what Om did? Double decker B1?

Interesting to know that adding one more buffer somehow increases the "gain".

Anyway, my current plan of action is to build a DCB1 (soon!), so I guess I need to work on increasing the gain of the Pearl II.

Yes, that's correct, it is observed by others also. You would be the first one here to build a DCB1 I guess, looking forward to read about. Also keep us posted about the resistance value you settle on.
-sann'

What's a "cheap and best" SUT? I have been wanting one but can't find one within my mental budget. I found one really good one recently but the seller is asking too much.

Actually even with the default gain, I can turn the knob of the B1 more to get the desired loudness. It's just that I need to turn it up much more than when using the Hypnotoad AD797. I mean much more.
I think you need to look other way. Please read this, may change your thoughts like me - not to get loud at 9-10'o clock position of volume pot.

You would be the first one here to build a DCB1 I guess, looking forward to read about.

I think there is at least one other member here who has already built a DCB1. I am just waiting for the damned package to come out from the evil clutches of Customs:lol:

I think you need to look other way. Please read this, may change your thoughts like me - not to get loud at 9-10'o clock position of volume pot.

Om, thanks for the pointer. With the current R14 value (about 318 Ohms) I think I am not achieving the generally accepted line level voltage of 325 mV at the output of the Pearl II. When time permits I will swap R14 to 300 Ohms to increase the gain by 10 dB as suggested by the designer himself. 65 dB is 2.5 dB more than what I need so there will be some gain headroom which is always a nice thing to have.

The Pearl II has a new companion - the MQS AN-S4 Type II Step Up Transformer from Audio Note Japan.

I got in non-working state as the previous owner had tampered with the output cabling (it has a pair of hardwired output cables which should be terminated in RCA plugs).

It is designed to handle cartridges with internal impedances of 2.5, 15, 33 and 40 Ohms. Output impedance is 47 KOhms.

There are two winding ratios (I don't know the exact ratios) for normal gain and high gain.

Some pictures:

Front:

nlaZSzn.jpg

Side:

OG7vrGt.jpg

Rear:

5cZZvzf.jpg

Output Cable:

IkbK8ro.jpg

The inside is a rat's nest:

8IqIlK8.jpg

I have connected new Neutrik RCA connectors to the output cables. Pearl II R* is made open (to make the input impedance 47 kOhms) and gain lowered to default (default R14). Tested briefly last night. The first thing I noticed was, "Dude, where did all that bass came from:)?" First impression is that the sound is big and bold. Will listen some more to get clearer picture.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back