Any feedback on Auralex?

shankarcams

Auralex (Auralex Acoustics - World-Class acoustic foam sound control products at real-world prices!) is the only room treatment company represented in Chennai and the dealer has recommended a package of Bass Traps, Diffusors and Absorbers. The Company has a free room analysis service whereby they take dimensions, details and photos and if possible a frequency sweep response on a prop mic package of theirs, and then gets back with recommendations.

I find that owing to the rather cubish dimensions of my room, all the natural diffusion (book shelf, misc sharp objects) and absorbers (sofas, carpets) etc. do not begin to address the tremendous peaks (and valleys) in the 31.5/63/97 range. The peaks are as high as +20dB and I see no point applying Meridian Room Correction in the digital domain without mitigating some of the boominess by applying acoustic treatment.

The Auralex stuff is mainly acoustic foam and not wool. Does anyone have any experience with this product and with the Company's service?

Thanks

Hi
I have no experience with this company. However, with just foam based treatment you are unlikely to get the control over such low frequencies. Even treatment over a couple of feet are unlikely to provide control at 30hz

cheers

I agree with Odyssey - foam based products will not provide proper broadband acoustic benefits when compared to mineral wool or insulation based products. I have used Auralex foam pads in the past but they were handily outperformed by echobuster panels.
Cheers
Sid

The overall room acoustics project involves Auralex foam and diffusors on the ceiling, Auralex foam bass traps at the corners, and acoustic panels on the walls. In each case I have had to find a compromise between acoustics and aesthetics because I would not only like good sound but a livalbe room as well.

My walls were always diffusing because of bookshelves and sundry hangings and it was plain that the ceiling was the key problem.

So far I have done the Auralex foam and diffusors on the ceiling and the bass traps at the corners. I agree that there are better options but as I said, I am looking for a reasonable compromise and I will fix the residual using the Meridian Room Correction process that measures room performance and applies notch filters.

After doing this first bit I can audibly hear the better and tighter bass and less boominess in the upper bass. Waiting for the acoustic panelling on the walls.

Yes, that's the problem with a lot of us I think-the compromise! Venkat is getting some room treatment done using Anutone, you might want to check it out before pulling the trigger.

>In each case I have had to find a compromise between acoustics and aesthetics because I would not only like good sound but a livalbe room as well.

OK, now my room is complete. The difference is audible and measurable. The RT60 has come down from 800-900 ms at 50Hz to about 500 ms. I think I have achieved a reasonable compromise between sound and aesthetics.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back