Any single malt afficionados here?

Any fan of American bourbon here ? Jim Beam - or even Jack Daniels?

I like single malts as much as the next guy, though I have only been exposed to the duty free brands (pretty much the only option to buy if you are based in India), I was very happy with the Laphroaig 10yr I picked up last time

But I have developed a taste for the bourbon as well. Find the aftertaste of the Jim Beam more interesting :)

USED to be big Jack fan - and still is.

Off late my cousin got Jim Beam white ( 1.75 L Bottle!) from US DUTY free - was sealed for 3 years and we ( Myself & Denom ) discovered it is fantastic and super VFM!!

Now got another Jim Beam Blcak , also tested Woodford Reserve and I really starting loving American taste

ALL are tested without any contamination ( Neat!) :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Now my eyes on Makers Mark and other brands!!

Jack Daniels vs Jim Beam
Personally I like JD. Is Jack Daniels considered Bourbon? Can anyone who is a Bourbon connoisseur enlighten me on this?

No way, JD aint Bourbon! It's Tennessee Whiskey...

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.

PS: Is it Friday already! Damn you pirates....gotta block this thread until Friday :)

Last edited:
Maker's Mark is a no-nonsense, smooth bourbon that would pretty much please everyone, though the 'burden of proof' has been reduced since late last year. Knob Creek 9 and 1792 Ridgemont are a few that I've found remarkable. I've tried and enjoyed Yamazaki 12 (based on recommendations here) and Taketsuru from the Japanese stables. I am hoping to try the Hibiki and Miyagiko, the next time I get lucky. The Red Breast 12 has been the most surprising of all that I have tried...

I was about to post about the Glencairn glass when I realized it is mentioned in the AC thread as well. I gifted it to my brother and he really likes it. I can see the logic too - the shape of the glass will naturally concentrate the aroma towards your nose, unlike most whiskey glasses that are usually straight or even taper outwards. I haven't used it myself yet but have placed an order for it.

Besides some of the islays like Bowmore and Lagavulin, Glenlivet Nadurra is also quite nice.

On a side note, American bourbon and whiskeys are undergoing quite a revival in the US. I often find 20+ no-name brands on the shelves, many of them good quality and eminently enjoyable. This is becoming like the beer microbreweries in the US - a huge startup culture, lots and lots of upstarts, and even amateurs having a go at it. Quite exciting actually. I even noticed a microbrew brand selling a white whiskey although I haven't dared try it yet.

But I have developed a taste for the bourbon as well. Find the aftertaste of the Jim Beam more interesting :)

I had both Jim Beam & JD along with Gentleman Jack which I prefer more. Last time I got 1 + 1 in duty free shop

I find if the smoky peaty flavour is too strong, I don't enjoy it as much as if it s a bit muted. Balvenie is more to my taste.
Peaty and smokey is what I find so enticing.:licklips:
For those of you who drink whiskey and haven't sampled Single Malts, do try it out whenever you get the opportunity-there is a world of difference between the blended stuff and SMs.
Can't agree more. Be it Single Malts or Single Endeds, once you are hooked on, there is no turning back.
Love the peat... Talisker and Laphroaig are my favorites. Though, I don't mind the lighter Glens, I get my kicks off the smoky beauties.
We have similar taste. :)

I like single malts as much as the next guy, though I have only been exposed to the duty free brands (pretty much the only option to buy if you are based in India), I was very happy with the Laphroaig 10yr I picked up last time

I liked the Jack Daniels better. Try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. It is far more refined than the 10yr.

How did I miss this thread?!!

Have been sipping Single Malts for about 15 years now ... started off with Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. Have enjoyed many more in between. Like all desis, I've had to rely on duty free versions of single malts. I would love to one day tour Scotland to taste some of the local smaller distilleries.

Recently, I picked up a few bottles of Glenfiddich - had forgotten how good this distillery was. The 15 yrs Cask Strength was sublime.

Currently sipping:
Glennfiddich - 18 yrs, Rich Oak and Reserve Cask
GlennMorangie - Quinta Ruban

Americans - Gentleman Jack and Makers Mark

In the hot climes of Hyderabad, I tend to prefer the Speysides or Highland malt whiskeys.
Come winter or when in colder climes, the peaty Islays are a treat - Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Super thread George! Cheers and Happy Holi to all!

Last edited:
The one iam having now is Smokehead. I quite like it as it has got a thick peat smoke rich dram. Can anyone tell me the history of this Single Malt and which distillery it comes from? Anyone else here ever try it.

I had ordered it based on a friends recommendation and enjoying it thoroughly now.

Happy Holi!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Everyone.

Last edited:
I can't understand why, but It's always a 'now-I-like-it/now-I-don't' affair for me with the Lagavulin...

IMO you have to drink these in the colder months.
Were you perhaps comparing different ages ie 12 yrs vs 16yrs?
Huge difference with the 16yrs over the 12.

IMO you have to drink these in the colder months.
Were you perhaps comparing different ages ie 12 yrs vs 16yrs?
Huge difference with the 16yrs over the 12.

Incidentally, it was quite cold when I first tried it and did not like. I think it was the 12. Maybe I need more time with it? :D

Incidentally, it was quite cold when I first tried it and did not like. I think it was the 12. Maybe I need more time with it? :D

What did you not like about the Lagavulin?
What's your preference for normally - highlands?

It can happen though and for me it was with a Macallan. For all the hype and all I just could not drink the stuff. It was probably a 15 yr Fine Oak but I just could not get through with it. Gave it away to a very happy fellow single malt fan.

What did you not like about the Lagavulin?
What's your preference for normally - highlands?...

It was the overwhelming hit of 'charcoal' on the first sip that put me off, but I did not find it that offensive a few days later. I did want to like it, given the price, but it was not to be. Paradoxically, I did find it quite acceptable on a couple of occasions, later on. I don't mind the highland varieties but based on what I remember enjoying recently, it would appear that I may be partial towards a few Speysiders (like the Macallan, Glenlivet and Balvenie), apart from the Japanese and the Irish, though not all single malts. Maybe my palette needs to mature still...

It was the overwhelming hit of 'charcoal' on the first sip that put me off, but I did not find it that offensive a few days later. I did want to like it, given the price

Thats what I was thinking ... the charcoal or peaty taste is typical of the Speysides. That's why they are more palatable in the colder months here. Yes you should spend some time exploring what goes with your taste.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back