Any single malt afficionados here?

Love Lagavulin and rate it among the very best, I have two unopened bottles in stock and one that's almost finished..

Agree with you!

Many years ago, read somewhere that for the uninitiated, if there is ONE single malt they should try if they wish to understand what SMs are all about, then it has to be Lagavulin. So after having run the gamut of Aberlours, Balvenies, Bowmores, Caol Ilas, Clynelishs, Dalmores, Glenfarclas', Glenmorangies, Highland Parks, Laphroigs, Macallans, Taliskers, etc, tried Lagavulin.

Must say that I was not disappointed in the least.....

Agree with you!

Many years ago, read somewhere that for the uninitiated, if there is ONE single malt they should try if they wish to understand what SMs are all about, then it has to be Lagavulin. So after having run the gamut of Aberlours, Balvenies, Bowmores, Caol Ilas, Clynelishs, Dalmores, Glenfarclas', Glenmorangies, Highland Parks, Laphroigs, Macallans, Taliskers, etc, tried Lagavulin.

Must say that I was not disappointed in the least.....

Great list of SMs in there Soundstage! :cool:

To those who have tried them - what do you think about Yamazaki 12Y. & 18Y., Hakushu 12Y. and Tullamore 10Y.? I personally find most SM's from Scotland overrated and Jap whiskey far superior. That's just me.

Haven't tried the 18 but I don't seem to find the Japanese lacking in anything compared to the Scots. Without the label, I'd be hard-pressed to guess the country of origin. Not so with the Irish though...

Last edited:
To those who have tried them - what do you think about Yamazaki 12Y. & 18Y., Hakushu 12Y. and Tullamore 10Y.? I personally find most SM's from Scotland overrated and Jap whiskey far superior. That's just me.

Let me swing by your place to savour the SM's you talk about & give you my unbiased views :lol:

What say keith???

:eek:hyeah:

Let me swing by your place to savour the SM's you talk about & give you my unbiased views :lol:

What say keith???

:eek:hyeah:
Oh, my unbiased view is that the one's I mention are far superior than the "typical" SM's. Unfortunately I don't have any in stock at my home currently. Maybe after my next overseas trip - whenever that happens. There's one Aussie SM that's on my "to-do" list too.

I've been meaning to try some of the Japanese single malts for some time now, without luck. Last year on a trip to SF I looked at HK duty free but surprisingly couldnt find any. Yamazaki and Nikka are supposed to be quite good hope to sample some on an upcoming trip.

Oh, my unbiased view is that the one's I mention are far superior than the "typical" SM's. Unfortunately I don't have any in stock at my home currently. Maybe after my next overseas trip - whenever that happens. There's one Aussie SM that's on my "to-do" list too.

OK then, look forward to you returning with the fresh stock & subsequently your invite ;)

I've been meaning to try some of the Japanese single malts for some time now, without luck. Last year on a trip to SF I looked at HK duty free but surprisingly couldnt find any. Yamazaki and Nikka are supposed to be quite good hope to sample some on an upcoming trip.
Not surprising at all. Most duty free shops will have the usual suspects - Macallan, Glenlivet, Bowmore, Talisker etc. Narita may be different as expected :D

After Thad nudged me in this direction, I plan to try various Irish single malts in the next week. Have short listed redbreast (based on what a couple of FM's have already mentioned), and green spot on subsequent research. Planning to do an a/b/c comparison. Any suggestions on what the third Irish should be? Or better still, will compare these two with a scotch single malt.

I did notice a black bush single malt though. Have only tried their blended version.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back