Any single malt afficionados here?

GeorgeO

AKS07 got me started on this.

Just got a bottle of McClelland a couple of days ago-I rate it as an excellent value for money single malt.Having tasted/stock some of the other better known brands like Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Glenfiddich, GlenMorangie, Glenlivet, Balvenie, I find if the smoky peaty flavour is too strong, I don't enjoy it as much as if it s a bit muted. Balvenie is more to my taste.

I have now shifted into wine drinking( though I do have a occasional single malt)

George

I used to love it when I was a small boy...
Now I guess I am too old for Maltova:D

Probably the best thread that I have come across about Single Malts -it's an excellent read ( warning-it's about 16-17 pages long):

Scotch!!

I like the description of Arbeg 10 yr old on the first page-it's described as smoke, and then more smoke! I had a bottle of it for a few years, and in my mind I classified it as "Engine Oil"-it was way too strong or me.

For those of you who drink whicsky and havent sampled Single Malts, do try it out whenever you get the opportunity-there is a world of difference between the blended stuff and SMs.

Cheer

George

couple of years back I read that there were some spurious factories of "the" company that made all "foreign" liquor including JW Black Label - which seems to be most common brand amongst "not so common" whiskey brands. I have grown very cautious of "imported" stuff since then.

I am a complan boy!

Drinking regularly is an expensive affair. And I used to spend a lot!

I gave it up couple of years back and invested all the money that I had saved in a nice HT setup. It also gives me a good scope for regular upgrades!;)

I am amazed by the savings!

Probably the best thread that I have come across about Single Malts -it's an excellent read ( warning-it's about 16-17 pages long):

Scotch!!

I like the description of Arbeg 10 yr old on the first page-it's described as smoke, and then more smoke! I had a bottle of it for a few years, and in my mind I classified it as "Engine Oil"-it was way too strong or me.

Sir, I had similar thoughts about Ardbeg initially. (You call it Engine Oil, I called it Iodine). When I started appreciating it was when I once added a dash of water - just a dash, mind you. Oh, The burst of flavours then! Smoke, nuts, peat (of course)... fantastic!

On that note I'd like to add Cardhu as an old favourite. Good ol' Talisker and Glenmorangie (port wood finish and The Lasanta) bring a smile too!!

Not a regular single-malt drinker but have enjoyed a few over the last few years. The list includes Glenmorangie Original, Glenfiddich 12 & 15, Jura Superstition and the Laphroaig 10. Though it took a while to 'get' what it is about single malts, I guess I mostly liked all of them. The best of what I've tried so far would be the Superstitions with its wonderful aroma and flavour. Thankfully, I've never had to buy any of the wonderful single malts I've enjoyed. :p This might change if I get suggestions on good VFM single-malts. Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain you could never DIY an exquisite single-malt. On another note, I thoroughly enjoy Jameson more than most of the single-malts though...

Unlike Grubyhalo, mine is a combo of both gifts( less) as well as purchases(more). I bought two bottles of Laphroaig 10, after getting it recommended to me by old Col Wakefield who lives at Jungle Lodges, Kabini.

Initially I bought one, liked it, and then bought a second bottle in Atlanta DF, which got over a few months ago, need to replenish stocks. McClellan's is definitely a strong vfm SM recommendation. I have only seen it in the Atlanta area where a 1.75lt sells for under 40.

Sharukh-note your recco on Cardhu, will definitely check it out when I go to NY this year. I do have a few others on my list as well. I also feel it is a myth that duty free offers lower prices-many US stores, especially liquor warehouse type stores, are cheaper and offer much better variety + they stock 1.75 lt bottles as well. All that duty free offers is no taxes-and not LOWER PRICES..

I generally follow the rule nowadays of opening,sampling and serving from multiple bottles-in the old days I wouldn't ever open a second bottle of Scotch when one was still unfinished. Nowadays, I find that I may offer SMs of different tastes to different guests.On occasion I may have as many as 4 different SM bottles opened and in stock-right now have only two, Old Pulteney and Glenlivet 12 yr Old.

Of course if one has only a single bottle of Scotch around that would hardly apply-whereas thankfully that is not the case these days :clapping:.

Love the peat... Talisker and Laphroaig are my favorites. Though, I don't mind the lighter Glens, I get my kicks off the smoky beauties.

Any fan of American bourbon here ? Jim Beam - or even Jack Daniels?

I like single malts as much as the next guy, though I have only been exposed to the duty free brands (pretty much the only option to buy if you are based in India), I was very happy with the Laphroaig 10yr I picked up last time

But I have developed a taste for the bourbon as well. Find the aftertaste of the Jim Beam more interesting :)

Any fan of American bourbon here ? Jim Beam - or even Jack Daniels?

I like single malts as much as the next guy, though I have only been exposed to the duty free brands (pretty much the only option to buy if you are based in India), I was very happy with the Laphroaig 10yr I picked up last time

But I have developed a taste for the bourbon as well. Find the aftertaste of the Jim Beam more interesting :)

Jack Daniels vs Jim Beam
Personally I like JD. Is Jack Daniels considered Bourbon? Can anyone who is a Bourbon connoisseur enlighten me on this?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back