Audio setup options for a long rectangular room

Easylistening

Hello Folks,

On a budget, but am looking to buy an appropriate setup for my long'ish rectangular lounge (11*25 ft) and sitting area. With a 50K budget, should I just close my eyes and buy the Sonodyne SiA 320 and the Sonos 2504? Or will the Sonos 1501 bookshelves (mounted on the shorter wall) also give me an equally good output? I have attached a rough schematic of the room to give you an idea..

I'll appreciate any advice on the setup options I have proposed as well as if I should consider alternate amp + speaker combinations.

Thanks in advance...:)

Attachments

• Presentation1.pdf
    85.3 KB · Views: 50
as for your setup, the position of the speakers should be in relation to where you. ideally opposite to where you are sitting / listening to the music. at that budget i prefer bookshelves. brands to consider are kef q series, monitor audio rx2, wharfedale diamonds. usher s520 comes highly recommended. the bose 301's are also good speakers. once you decide on your speakers we can help you with an amp to match

Could you please clarify whether you are looking for a 2 channel Stereo setup (or) 5.1 channel home theater setup?

1) If you are looking for a music setup, a 2 channel setup will be good.
2) If you are looking for Movies & Music setup, you should get a 5.1 channel home theater setup.

Give your thoughts please. It will help the FMs to give a suitable solution....

@afj : hey afj, thanks for the speaker options. Besides the kef q300, I am not sure if the others you recommended will sort of fit my budget (30 for speakers and 20 for amp). And maybe I am wrong here but doesnt one need to choose the amp and then match the speakers:confused:

@jaivelu : hey jaivelu, for now my interest is only music so it'll have to be 2 channel set-up. Also since this is the first time I am buying an audio setup, I'd like to be a little prudent.

Also, I am based in Mumbai, so if you could suggest places where I could listen to the speakers, that would be great.

Cheers..

@afj : hey afj, thanks for the speaker options. Besides the kef q300, I am not sure if the others you recommended will sort of fit my budget (30 for speakers and 20 for amp). And maybe I am wrong here but doesnt one need to choose the amp and then match the speakers:confused:

Cheers..

ya i guess the ma rx2 will be out of budget but the others wont. last i heard ushers were under 30k (27k or so) and bose was around 17-18k.

there are various schools of thought on what needs to be chosen first. some say the source is (which is the cdp). quite a bit are split between amps or speakers. i prefer to choose a speaker first and then pair it with an amp. but if you like a particular sound signature of an amp then select it and choose a speaker that pairs well with it. each to his own :)

@afj: i am a novice..still picking up stuff from this wonderful forum. between the kef's and bose which one would you recommend?

the kefs are definitely a notch higher, both in quality and price. bose is good at that price point. if you can you should audition the ushers as well and you could choose between the two

the kefs are definitely a notch higher, both in quality and price. bose is good at that price point. if you can you should audition the ushers as well and you could choose between the two

Hey thanks..Let me now find where I can do this in Bombay!

Monitor Audio BX2 would be a good choice. It retails for ~32K new. I have recently purchased and am satisfied with it.

Get yourself a Paradigm, Recently got me one and am loving it.
At your budget the mini monitors will come in which are in line with the kef Q300.
For Music alone, i would pick the q300 over anything out there. To my ears they were simply a different class altogether. But they aint gr8 for movies. Hence i suggest paradigm. They almost sound identical to me but paradigm performs well with movies too.
I had auditioned the bose 301 and honestly both the sonodyne BS and the wharfedale diamond 10.1/10.2 outperform them by a mile.

@edge111hussain : You've given me 1 more speaker option to try :) Where in Bombay would you recommend I can audition the Paradigm's?

Besides the kef q300, I am not sure if the others you recommended will sort of fit my budget
Heard the Kef Q300 recently, sounded terrific: wide soundstage, pin-point imaging between the speakers, excellent off-axis response (which is helpful if you don't have any acoustic treatments on your walls).

While the speakers produced some bass, you'll eventually want to pair them with a subwoofer to reproduce the bottom octave (below 40Hz). But that's down the road, when your budget allows for it. Meanwhile, the Kefs will give you some good mid-bass punch.

Heard the Kef Q300 recently, sounded terrific: wide soundstage, pin-point imaging between the speakers, excellent off-axis response (which is helpful if you don't have any acoustic treatments on your walls)

Sanjay, thank you for your review of the Q300's . They look great and I intend to review them soon. Am waiting to see what pairing works best for them.

Cheers..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back