Best 42" in budget

Ohh, 24p Smooth Film is Intelligent Frame Creation on my set, I think and it's turned off.

Do you see very clear picture like you see on LCD / LED or it's bit grainy ? I see grains when I come near say, 1 ft. Is it supposed to be grainy ? The texts are affected too when I'm using with PC.

Ohh, 24p Smooth Film is Intelligent Frame Creation on my set, I think and it's turned off.

Do you see very clear picture like you see on LCD / LED or it's bit grainy ? I see grains when I come near say, 1 ft. Is it supposed to be grainy ? The texts are affected too when I'm using with PC.

You will always seen pixels when you are up nose close to the set.

I think I'm doing something wrong with TV settings or GPU settings. Some pages are smooth and some pages are not that smooth. Bigger texts are smooth and smaller texts look pixelated or grainy.

I saw some Image Retention yesterday. I was browsing and when I turned off the TV, I can see the bar on the top side of the TV. The "info" which comes when turning the TV on and off for few seconds also appeared. Turned off the TV and I can see the IR in the dark. Then within few mins, everything is normal. Is this normal or I should start the break-in ?

I saw some Image Retention yesterday. I was browsing and when I turned off the TV, I can see the bar on the top side of the TV. The "info" which comes when turning the TV on and off for few seconds also appeared. Turned off the TV and I can see the IR in the dark. Then within few mins, everything is normal. Is this normal or I should start the break-in ?

Not sure why are you putting up with a TV that has been turned on 113 times by someone else?

Panasonic have bad IR but they fade away too... well, in most cases.

Well, I thought that it might be a good deal if I can get the TV for 41-42K with 4 3D glasses and 3 years warranty. Do you think I should return this TV and get a LED instead ?

U are fortunate to know early that you have got the display TV... I think you should return it and get another TV. Plasma or LED is your wish.
If you can take a very good care of your plasma, then u may buy plasma again, however if otherwise, I would suggest you to buy LEDs , as they are less fragile than Plasma. Take tips from all the plasma users / experts in this forum and follow those religiously.

You should not (rather cannot) see any IR when TV is turned off. I am not sure what you saw. But a TV which has been a display piece, and where dealers don't care about IR, have the display running on "Dynamic" mode (100% contrast, bright/vivid colours), it is extremely difficult not to get IR.

That is why I asked you earlier - do you see IR or even traces of it? IR can be seen in two ways:

- When running Evangelo's slides, especially the green coloured slide when contrast and brightness to minimum
- When running the vertical anti-IR scroll bar

What to check:

- channel logos at top RHS coner
- DTH logo at bottom RHS corner
- news ticker bar at the bottom
- letterbox bars at top and bottom (in the letterbox mode, the black bars do not expose the phosphors while the display area is exposed)

Last edited:
I just ran the Scrolling Bar and I didn't see any IR.

When I turn my PC off, I feel I can still see the Tab bar of Firefox very faded. The "info" box which shows "USER 720p / 60Hz input 16:9" only shows "USER" when the PC is turned off. I then turn off the TV and see the Tab bar of Firefox on the top and the "info" logo on the right. The whole screen seems bit glowing like on CRT and then it turns black in a min or so. I see this only at night light turned off.

I try to keep the IR to bay so I do :

Set the Pixel Orbiter / Shifter to Auto
Run the Scrolling Bar 2-3 times every day
Set screensaver to 1 min when idle
Changing wallpaper every 1 min
Turn TV off every couple of hours
Use F11 most of the time for no Tab bar
Set the Contrast to 35, Brightness to -3, Sharpness / Tint to 0, Vivid / Eco off

But I'm yet to break-in with the slides you recommended.

Well, I thought that it might be a good deal if I can get the TV for 41-42K with 4 3D glasses and 3 years warranty. Do you think I should return this TV and get a LED instead ?

Deal or not. Return the tv. I would do that.

LCD or plasma is based on your preference and usage. If you are going to put up a desktop screen out there for long then LCD is the best option. Getting a decent LCD for that price is not going to be easy. Why not try the Samsung F4900. If you have tried the XT50 why not give F4900 a shot? Samsung have less issues with IR and they fade away as quickly as they appeared.

If you want to still keep the XT, then get a replacement.

I talked to the sales-person just now and he's saying that they don't have any more XT50 in stock as Panasonic is not sending them any. Talked to Panasonic India and they confirmed that they're not supplying XT50 anymore as they're releasing new models this year. The sales-person told me that I can get LG or Samsung plasma if I want (as replacement) but he want me to stick to Panasonic as their panel is premium.

I checked the Samsung F4900 at store and it was missing something, don't know what. Although, I might give it a try too. But after that, I can't get back to anything :(

Why not get a full refund and wait for xt60, the 2013 lineup. They may be here anytime sooner. But I read in forum that all 2013s will be available only in 50inch onward....! No 42". :(

I talked to the sales-person just now and he's saying that they don't have any more XT50 in stock as Panasonic is not sending them any. Talked to Panasonic India and they confirmed that they're not supplying XT50 anymore as they're releasing new models this year. The sales-person told me that I can get LG or Samsung plasma if I want (as replacement) but he want me to stick to Panasonic as their panel is premium.

I checked the Samsung F4900 at store and it was missing something, don't know what. Although, I might give it a try too. But after that, I can't get back to anything :(

Okay, then ask them to give you a competing 2013 model. You keep the XT50 till they don't send you a replacement and at no extra cost. It's their problem to send a used display.

XT50 being premium is cow dung. Ask them to smell it and wake up.

But the thing is that I don't want 50", it's too big for my room and 42" is perfect. I'll definitely tell them about the 2013 lineup and get a replacement if they come in 42". In the meantime, do you have any other model in mind beside F4900 ?

No man, Panasonic is not sending any old models and moving them to archieve :( So I've kept that XT50 and got 2K from the store.

Anyways, what settings do you guys use for 3D ? I've just received some 3D movies and I can see crosstalk or ghosting. I don't remember if I've noticed this before or if it was natural in case of 3D but do you guys experience crosstalk or ghosting when watching 3D movies ? Can you please tell me what settings you use when watching 3D movies ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back