Best 50"+ LCD w LED Back / Edge lighting? (2010)

satan

Back in the same boat again guys!

After chatting with a fellow member here (great guy), it looks like I'm going to be extending my search for a 50"+ display to the LCD world.

I hope you can recommend displays that would give me a PQ experiece closest to the V20 series from Panasonic.

Also, which one would you guys recommend, Back lighting / Edge lighting

The following is important to me
1) THE Best picture quality (How thin the display is does not matter to me)
2) Max budget of 1.2 to 1.3L

TIA

LOL

Point #2
Max budget of 1.2 to 1.3L :D

70 inches... Damn what a display!!!

^^
actually he bought the 58c6500 plasma, thinner version of c550

I have not seen any owners thread/review here for led tv's ., a lot of threads for plasma
OP will have better luck checking out AVS forum for reviews
i would suggest the Lg lh90 series if you can find one, during my search 3 months ago that is the only lcd/led tv i found worth buying, but i chose a 50"
plasma which was available at same price of 42lh90 and also there was no 47 or 55 lh90 avl in town

Well you can get the LG 55" LE5500 ,don't think you can get a LED-lit lcd from any other manufacturer that is within your budget.you can get a Sony 52" EX700 slightly above your budget ,but should be a lot cheaper in the grey.

Wait till diwali for good offers.

Check out Dushie's thread he has purchased samsung 58" Plasma :)

As far as Plasma's go in India, the V20 series from Panasonic seems to be the best. That's what I am currently zero'd in on, but another member here suggested that I be more objective and look around the LCD arena as well before pulling the trigger. If I have to go the Plasma route, the V20 it is.

Well you can get the LG 55" LE5500 ,don't think you can get a LED-lit lcd from any other manufacturer that is within your budget.you can get a Sony 52" EX700 slightly above your budget ,but should be a lot cheaper in the grey.

Wait till diwali for good offers.

Hey that's a great idea. It's so difficult finding good information about models specifically available to the Indian market.

Actually now that I think about, I'm not really particular about LED lighting. Even CCFL is ok with me as long as the picture quality is great. That is the biggest concern.

I'm going to check out the model's you've mentioned.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Ok guys,

Here it goes. The whole list of 50"+ LCD (CCFL & LED) displays from the big 3 (Specifically the Indian Market). It would be nice to get your recommendations from among these.

Sony said:
KDL-55HX800 (3D)
MRP Rs. 259,900

KDL-52NX800
MRP Rs. 159,900

KDL-52EX700
MRP Rs. 149,900

Samsung said:
UA55C6900VR
MRP Rs. 200,000

UA55C7000WR
MRP Rs. 230,000

UA55C8000XR
MRP Rs. 260,000

LG said:
55LD650 LCD TV
MRP Rs. 134,990

55LE5500 LED LCD TV
MRP Rs. 154,990

Also, if any of you have an idea about the current market pricing of these models (both in regular stores with warranty and the Grey market), please let me know.

Last edited:
I agree with your thought of v20 , but for a 50" 120k where as other well known brands are available under 70k . Pana give me some better reasons to convince me...... 61k was the best price I got for v20 42" and 40 or 50k more for a 50" inch ...I would use that money to buy a pair of good tower speakers and an amp... So I chose to go with Sammy 50C550 for 68.5 k..(best price in blr)..... With 1.2 lakh budget please wait for some time and see if you can buy 2010 models in december for a great bargain...

Well the samsung turns out to be the most expensive.

The sony HX800 is a local dimming edge led display.

52EX700 is a better buy then the LG LE5500.

Buying in diwali is the best time to buy lcds,by December Sony ususaly tries to clear out the older models,last year they were priced the cheapest during the clearance sale .

As far as grey market just the 40EX500 is available for 53k to 55k in showroom its priced at 73k.The 40EX400 is available for 42k to 45k but in showroom it costs about 60k+.
So you can get the idea of how cheap the LED lit lcds will be.

@ Adder any idea what could be the price of Sony 52" EX700 in the grey (blore)

Well thats available only on order,So no idea about the exact price.Its been a while since i went to the grey market.
But the difference should be similar to lcd models such as EX500.
Sizes of upto 46" are usually in ready stock.

Go in for Sony KDL-70X3500.
Damage: approx. 20 lakhs :)

And end up with an antique TV with flawed back lighting ,below average video processing which may not be even as good as the mid level LCD tv's in the market today.

And end up with an antique TV with flawed back lighting ,below average video processing which may not be even as good as the mid level LCD tv's in the market today.

....as they say you can't win them all. At least you'll be the only one in your circle with boasting rights as far as size and moolah are concerned

I think we do not have much experience on LED backlight LCD TVs here.

LD650 series is the LG's premier model for 2010, for me it seems to be a perfect CCFL LCD TV as far as the features (2ms response time, 200Hz trumotion, Good contrast ratio, and Internet connectivity) are considered. And fits very well into your budget, you should be able to get a 55 incher at 20% lessthan the MRP.

LG LE8500 is Full LED TV and will have a great contrast ration (9M:1) and other features are similar to the LD650 model, but you budget might get only the 42 incher. You can also consider LE7500 series.

I think you also should be looking at Sharp Aquos. Sharp also makes LCD panels like Samsung and LG. I have a 3 year old 32" Sharp Aquos, a great looking and still performing pretty well. I got it from Singapore for Rs. 30 while its MRP in India is 60K.

Just for info:
I bought 32" keeping in mind that airlines restrictions on size and weight. However at the airport, Singapore airline guys told me that they allow bigger sizes (sure about 42") as well. Also Sony provides warranty in India as well if you buy in Singapore. Again, it's 3 year old story.

Well thats available only on order,So no idea about the exact price.Its been a while since i went to the grey market.
But the difference should be similar to lcd models such as EX500.
Sizes of upto 46" are usually in ready stock.

at Adder today checked at grey market for the KDL-52EX700 they are quoting 1.39 k ,and the showroom price MRP Rs. 1.50k.when question why the diff of only 10 k, he said sony tv's from Malaysia are better than the one we get in our Indian show room.what do u say.

at Adder today checked at grey market for the KDL-52EX700 they are quoting 1.39 k ,and the showroom price MRP Rs. 1.50k.when question why the diff of only 10 k, he said sony tv's from Malaysia are better than the one we get in our Indian show room.what do u say.

for 10 k //imho not worth the risk..

Sony is not god and they too have history of defective supply. so 10 k over 139 k is decent amount for warentee..

also how true is myth made in malaysia is better? is such big sizes too made/assembled in india?

Well was it a ready stock or was it on order price.
10k difference is quite less.i expected around 20k,may be they brought it to india when it was at a higher price.
The 52EX700 is being replaced by the 55EX710 in singapore website its priced the same as the older EX700 but you get extra 3 inches .

So ask for 55EX710 comes with a SPVA panel and has better aesthetics.

The Malaysian or Thailand made are the same.But Some models meant for Singapore,HK may have a built in DVB-T tuner which in india is not much of use as we only get DD channels in digital .

For the lower end models like EX400 and EX500 their are more differences b/w the indian models and models meant for Singapore like more formats support in USB .

Lastly have a look at comparedindia.in website and select Sony lcds and sizes above 47".You will notice one dealer seems to sell international models and prices are cheap,which i hope isn't a typo.He is a grey dealer since he sells many other sony products with a significant price difference compared to others.

He also has one model the Z5800 which if true comes with a triple tuner DVB-S(HD DTH),DVB-T(HD terrestrial) and DVB-C(HD cable).

for 10 k //imho not worth the risk..

Sony is not god and they too have history of defective supply. so 10 k over 139 k is decent amount for warentee..

also how true is myth made in malaysia is better? is such big sizes too made/assembled in india?

I strongly agree with hemant, Sony was display god when they invented the Trinitron picture tube.....times have changed, world has moved on.... they do not have any competitive advantage in the LCD / Plasma world. Their displays are equally prone to defect / service as LG or samsung. It dosent make sense to pay exhorbitant premium over other brands.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back