Best DIY DAC Kit? (to go with AP Amps)

rohitmusic

Starting a new thread to keep the discussion focused.

Looking for an excellent DAC kit that can go well with the AP amps.

From what I understand of AP amps a DAC with following behavior would be desirable:
- live feel
- neutral
- I prefer a wide sound stage
- excellent detailing and instrument separation

In fact most of these properties would be similar to the Thiyaga DAC I suppose.

That DAC is out of question due to affordability. Thinking of a substitute DIY DAC for same to keep costs low.

I dont want to go for a temporary solution so a good DIY dac is desirable.

DAC experts please guide and suggest some excellent DAC kits. :)

(I dont want to pin down any budget to avoid any good DAC being missed out. So would like to discuss all good options and take an informed decision on budget later.)

Regards!

Thanks iAudio!
Need to check this DAC out.
Yes, I am looking forward to inputs from Audiodoc and other DIY gurus.

I am stepping into untested waters believing in our gurus here, so hope they will chip in!

If you are fine with the NOS dac sound, do consider the Analog Metric, it is a very good option( something I and many others can confirm, subjective opionion though).

Another good Diy option is the Gamma 2 dac. You can get a fully built up one from MisterX.

Audio GD has some nice solutions at an affordable price, like the nfb 2.1, iirc, now they come with asynch usb courtesy the new Tenor chips.

Thanks! I can read and study these.

Since I can shamelessly accept to be a novice here ;) and am in no false impressions that it will take a LOT of time and experience for me to learn this new domain of DACs. So I would not reinvent the whole wheel myself from scratch and rely on collective group intelligence here! :)
Hence, I would like the experts to think of my setup as their very own and help complete it!

I sincerely believe the experts here indeed know their stuff well!
Hence, I have great respect for the knowledge you all have! :)

I have one of these and am quite happy with it.Its an NOS design, and they have two versions, the basic and premium version-the latter uses high quality components.All you need to do is to get the tranny and hardware.

Since I have now created dedicated thread for DAC. Summarizing some DAC suggestions on my other thread of my setup here.

Buffalo DAC on Saber32 from twisted pear
Recommended by Audiodoc here

EDAC
Recommended by Thad here

wavelength audio dac (Proton)
Recommended by Gerry_the_Merry here

@ rohit. I also purchased the EDAC it is the same a ODAC. Sounds great. Go for it.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/26853-objective-dac-here.html

Thanks Audiodoc for the positive thumbs up.
Do you think it will it scale up well and *match* in performance keeping the AP pre-power amps in context?

So if we have a chain like:
EDAC -> AP Pre -> AP Power

Would this be a strong chain for a long run.
Basically I like to get stuff from long term perspective and stick with it for long hence this approach :)

I must confess it is very difficult to simply see images and specs of DACs and take a call as is case with most of us :)
I consider myself fortunate to get inputs from first hand experience here!
So, the only approach I can take is a collective group intelligence one by joining bits and pieces of information and experiences. :)

It would be nice to set some benchmark water level kind of line. I have heard the Beresford Cayman Gatorized with my setup and know how it sounds like. So just for my understanding how does this DAC measure up to this DAC I have experienced?

Last edited:
Another interesting DAC, La Voce by Aquaifi.Italy,available in KIT as well as fully assembled units,audiophile can buy NOS TDA1541 module or another 3 modules like BB 1704 or AD 1865 module,which can be interchanged with one another to suit one,s personal sound preference

One of our members,reignofchaos had an Peter Daniel/Audiosector Nos dac for sale.
If into NOS DAC kits, look at:

DDDAC 2000

It was the kit of choice of our own Virenji of Lyrita Audio. He made one with a tubed output for a forum member.

One of our members,reignofchaos had an Peter Daniel/Audiosector Nos dac for sale.
If into NOS DAC kits, look at:

DDDAC 2000

It was the kit of choice of our own Virenji of Lyrita Audio. He made one with a tubed output for a forum member.

Thanks iaudio for the info!
I guess you are talking about this DAC. The sale thread seems to he here
Seems to be based on the Philips 1541 chip. Have read some excellent reviews of this chip although it being 16 bit.

Last edited:
@ rohit. Almost all well designed DAC sound similar. They may vary differently on measurement at the the third decimal point to the right but the touchstone for differentiating them is our ear which is incapable of doing the same.

Now in your case if you want to look for performance alone as well as portability the EDAC is very good. However there are some caveats like no optical or coaxial input which you will prefer if you have a high end cd player. If a computer is your source saving a buck with the DAC without compromising the quality is the best option. The same money can go into purchasing a better speaker or quality interconnects.

@ rohit. Almost all well designed DAC sound similar. They may vary differently on measurement at the the third decimal point to the right but the touchstone for differentiating them is our ear which is incapable of doing the same.

Now in your case if you want to look for performance alone as well as portability the EDAC is very good. However there are some caveats like no optical or coaxial input which you will prefer if you have a high end cd player. If a computer is your source saving a buck with the DAC without compromising the quality is the best option. The same money can go into purchasing a better speaker or quality interconnects.

OK, fortunately I don't have a high end CD player ;)
I will be mostly using an existing laptop (USB out with no optical out) or setup a dedicated music PC.

how much would it cost to setup a not overly done but decent dedicate music PC? With a cabinet that matches looks of a decent entry level cdp?

Back