Best dth hd provider in india - airtel vs videocon vs tata sky

I suppose you're using TataSKY HD.
All these Drama/Soap Opera channels don't have much scope for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Most of them are only serials with rare background score.
Zee HD originally doesn't provide 5.1 DD sound. Airtel provides only Stereo sound on it. TataSky seems to have enabled fake 5.1 DD sound on Zee TV, resulting a much inferior sound than the original Stereo sound.

Airtel has screwed the sound of this channel, hence no proper surround sound. Rear speakers sounds very low with sort of unnatural sound.
However, Tata SKY provides much better sound on all the 4 Star HD channels.

These channels don't have all the programs in 5.1 sound. Most of them are in Stereo only, but what these DTH providers have done is...they seem to enable fake 5.1 sound, hence it looks quite unnatural.

The point is...all the DTH providers should telecast the original audio and video provided by the channel broadcaster, without downgrading the original bit rate of the channel's audio/video. But customers are always at mercy of these DTH providers !!

Fake 5.1 OMG !!! Now this is getting more interesting. I've seen somewhere in this forum that Sun HD is the only channel which provides the original audio and video of the broadcaster

one thing I must share...just came to know form an other discusion reagarding avr in this forum.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/28499-dolby-d-dts-hdmi-what-truth.html
coming to point.
tatasky is only one stb who sends a DD signal via hdmi
airtel and some other(dish I think) send DD via spdif..no DD via hdmi..
others dont send........hehe

considering the upper case when avr glows DD.

yah..in tatasky also only in star gold hd and star movies hd has real dd..may be other serial channels are fake dd(modified from stereo)..although avr shows dd in every tatasky hd channel.

Last edited:
Actually I really don't care about DD from STB. I do not watch movies on DTH much. My own collection is good enough.

Tatasky is gud and also adding new channels continously. Annual Mega pack is always good. I am using it for last 5 years now. Its really good and service is also great. Can't comment on other providers.

today i ordered airtel dth hd with recorder @ 5290/- including 1 month mega pack with all hd channels with 6 month emi using hdfc credit card. immediately i got call from their installation as to when they should come for installation. told them to come tomorrow. let us see airtel's promptnes.
cheers

Bought the videocon dth 2 weeks back - 2890 paid and 400 cash back with 1 month south platinum hd and 2 regional pack free...

The installer came next day (saturday) and installed it within 30 mins...

Till now everything going great.. :)

Bought the videocon dth 2 weeks back - 2890 paid and 400 cash back with 1 month south platinum hd and 2 regional pack free...

The installer came next day (saturday) and installed it within 30 mins...

Till now everything going great.. :)

What is audio n video quality in comparison to tatasky(for both SD N HD)?

What is audio n video quality in comparison to tatasky(for both SD N HD)?
One can honestly compare when there is a side-by-side test. From what I have heard the video quality is good and at par with the best but audio is/was 2 channel only for HD channels. This is slowly changing.

Video & audio quality is better than the asianet digital connection i was using (incase of sd channels).. video appears to be more sharper..

BTW it seems that the some of the HD channels are offered in DD from september onwards, though i think this is not available through HDMI connection.

Check this thread for more details

5.1 Dolby Digital on 10 HD Channels - Videocon D2H, Tata Sky, Dish TV, Airtel/Reliance Digital, Sun DTH, DD Direct Plus help and discussion forums
HDMI or Component-Video is a must to enjoy HD in DTH.

Oh OK. :eek:

TS passes 5.1 sound via HDMI - this is funnily not the case with Airtel, Videocon and others. I wonder what's the issue.

But it is best not to talk of 5.1 sound for HD television. We know that only movies and some (new) English serials are encoded with this. Dolby sound is licensed from Dolby Laboratories and royalty has to be paid. TS is sending simulated surround sound from most of the Hindi HD channels (and some English ones also).

Oh OK. :eek:

TS passes 5.1 sound via HDMI - this is funnily not the case with Airtel, Videocon and others. I wonder what's the issue.

But it is best not to talk of 5.1 sound for HD television. We know that only movies and some (new) English serials are encoded with this. Dolby sound is licensed from Dolby Laboratories and royalty has to be paid. TS is sending simulated surround sound from most of the Hindi HD channels (and some English ones also).

To update all the videocon users I had a sound problem with HD channels last couple of days. Reported the issue to the customer care and the guy turned up yesterday (very good service even on Sunday). He looked at the setup box and verified with his own box and confirmed that with the recent software update I can see a "Dolby Digital" as one of the output options in the setup. It seems that they are testing the 5.1 channel output and hence no sound for some of the HD channels like Movies Now, Star Movies now and then. So people with Videocon want to enjoy ( I do not want this 5.1, happy with 2.0) 5.1 should be getting it shortly as per the customer care.

Thanks

Last edited:
^tru man its tru.........:eek:hyeah:
the surround sound from hinid hd channels is actually the all channel stereo mode done by the sending station of tatasky...hehe

but in some english movies and hindi movies also tru sourround comes.
anyway in tatasky its convenient in one hdmi only cable video and hd audio comes in....in others the spdif comes into picture..for DD audio

Nice... So its time to get a HT setup for the TV..:yahoo:

To update all the videocon users I had a sound problem with HD channels last couple of days. Reported the issue to the customer care and the guy turned up yesterday (very good service even on Sunday). He looked at the setup box and verified with his own box and confirmed that with the recent software update I can see a "Dolby Digital" as one of the output options in the setup. It seems that they are testing the 5.1 channel output and hence no sound for some of the HD channels like Movies Now, Star Movies now and then. So people with Videocon want to enjoy ( I do not want this 5.1, happy with 2.0) 5.1 should be getting it shortly as per the customer care.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Looks like Videocon with 22 HD chs and recently upgraded 5.1 sound is the best package available now.
Further feedback from members appreciated about the authenticity of 5.1 sound and cost/after sale service of Videocon compared to TS.
I believe TS has jacked up the price recently???
Will it be worth switching over to Videocon from TS???
:confused::confused:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back