Best dth hd provider in india - airtel vs videocon vs tata sky

Hi Guys,

Looks like Videocon with 22 HD chs and recently upgraded 5.1 sound is the best package available now.
Further feedback from members appreciated about the authenticity of 5.1 sound and cost/after sale service of Videocon compared to TS.
I believe TS has jacked up the price recently???
Will it be worth switching over to Videocon from TS???
:confused::confused:

For tatasky owners, it will be better to wait and watch.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Videocon D2H is best. They keep on adding all the channels which are popular...

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I have been using TataSky HD recorder for quite some time now. I am thinking of shifting for following reasons:

1. Limited HD channels as being pointed out everywhere

2. They have quitely become expensive. I think they have highest charges for a second TV at Rs 200. They have recently, again sneakily, removed their HD subscription pack and are now charging a separate HD access charge. It has effectively meant a loss of channels for people like me who had taken that pack and had not taken, for e.g. English Movies pack

3. They recorder is pathetic. Keeps freezing and has to be rebooted, especially if you happen to be surfing while recording is on.

Anybody else thinking of such a move. Based on my research AirTel seems to be the best bet but the site is so confusing that it is difficult to get a clear picture of cost for the packages I want. Any help from an Airtel subscriber would be appreciated. I am looking for cost of following packages:

1. All Sports Channels (HD included)
2. All English Channels (MOvies and Entertainment)
3. English News & Business News
4. All Marathi
5. Discovery and Nat Geo

Thanks
Jayant

Videocon D2H is the best in my opinion. Some of the +ves points are, transparent brand logo (no hindrance to viewing pleasure), amazing HD channels , execellent HD pic quality and audio (I use stereo 2-channel and it sounds amazing. Not sure about multichannel outs though). Good CS, not the best I should say.

I have been using TataSky HD recorder for quite some time now. I am thinking of shifting for following reasons:

2. They have quitely become expensive. I think they have highest charges for a second TV at Rs 200. They have recently, again sneakily, removed their HD subscription pack and are now charging a separate HD access charge. It has effectively meant a loss of channels for people like me who had taken that pack and had not taken, for e.g. English Movies pack

3. They recorder is pathetic. Keeps freezing and has to be rebooted, especially if you happen to be surfing while recording is on.

Anybody else thinking of such a move. Based on my research AirTel seems to be the best bet but the site is so confusing that it is difficult to get a clear picture of cost for the packages I want. Any help from an Airtel subscriber would be appreciated. I am looking for cost of following packages:

4. All Marathi
5. Discovery and Nat Geo

Thanks
Jayant

Fire the time being, I will advise you to wait a little longer, say a quarter. It is true that TS has increased prices and introduced some skulduggery to increase prices still further. At the same time, with the latch of gsat-10, we could expect more channels, especially HD. Then again there is no guarantee of that. But what guarantee is there that Airtel or Videocon will not hike prices. Interestingly, no one talks about BigTV.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

and also Dish TV, nobody seems to like Shahrukh Khan here :)
BTW, two years ago when all the hype around HD started, all started howling on how DishTV was cheating by just upscaling the content and claiming HD. Since you are a Dishtv subscriber, what is the real deal?

I have been using Tata Sky for a few years now, and had found Airtel tobe decent quality in one of the hotels during an out station trip and decided to give it a try. At the time of initial buy, their guys stated that the choice of my channels could be obtained after one month. After1 month, I was told to pay a lump sum and opt for ala carte, which even on submitting online a couple of times went I responded by Airtel. On refusing to renew my subscription, Airtel called up and promised the choice of my channels ala carte. It went through the same cycle, and even after complaining, there has been no response from the company. I decided not to renew the subscription, and have got calls again from the company with the same promises!
Airtel needs to note that giving good picture quality and not the customer desired channels even via ala carte is worthless for the customer.
Lucky me, the Airtel connection I had taken was only for my 3rd room and I have continued with my Tata Sky.

4. All Marathi
5. Discovery and Nat Geo

Thanks
Jayant

I felt quite cheated by Airtel, getting promised of the option of ala carte packages, but not getting it. I fell for it twice, and am being promised it a third time, but am not falling for it again. Service at call centre needs significant improvement. PQ is fine, used SD for my old TV.

videocon provides 5.1 now. it is the best option available especially south indian languages. the no.of tamil channels offered by Tata sky is pathetic, i switched over to videocon and am happy with it.

BTW, two years ago when all the hype around HD started, all started howling on how DishTV was cheating by just upscaling the content and claiming HD. Since you are a Dishtv subscriber, what is the real deal?

Well to comment here, I would say that indeed it is a bad marketing they did to sell upscaled as HD channels but without that I found their package worth the money. I mean why can we not consider just the asli HD channels and forget what the Ad says. Even Tata Sky says 7.1 audio even when they struggle to give pseudo 5.1 in quite a few. Remember the "roaming centre channel problem" in TS for Discovery HD? Yearly HD recharge of TS is around 5.5K or + and the same for Dish HD is 6600 (minus some discount for paying annually, should be around 5.8K). Also if you apply for a 2nd HD connection then you get the package of your parent connection (typically 550) at a fixed rate of 250. Now comes customer service, I am using Dish since 2007 when I got the STB as annual gift from my company. And trust me the customer care were horrible. I discontinued using the connection twicefrom 2007 to 2009, until 2010 when things improved and since their HD service has gone live, Dish Customer care is truly a great help for customers.

Tata Sky charges excessively for individual channels compared to entire packages. It seems that Mega Pack is your only option if you watch several channels regularly. Clearly we need regulations to ensure that if a package of 10 channels costs Rs. 200, the individual channels are not priced at Rs. 50

videocon provides 5.1 now. it is the best option available especially south indian languages. the no.of tamil channels offered by Tata sky is pathetic, i switched over to videocon and am happy with it.

I'm planning to get TataSky+HD. Can you tell me which tamil channels are not provided in TataSky?

In my home we have a two set top boxes.

TATA Sky Regular Box for main tv regular channels.
400-450 a month with sports package and HBO/Star Movies.

Sun Direct for Telugu channels in Bedroom. they got tamil too.
I think they charge less than 100rs a month.

It is cheaper to have two STB than additional TV charge.

Now we are upgrading to a 55" HD TV.

Is it better to upgrade to TATA Sky HD or go for Videocon.

I like to keep English Movie channels, News and sports.

I like TATA sky interface and their SD channel selection is fine.

Please suggest.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back