Best dth hd provider in india - airtel vs videocon vs tata sky

Find the upgrade price. If TS is going to charge full amount for STB upgrade then you may toss up between TS and D2H. If possible, have a demo of D2H somewhere to judge the PQ. D2H is definitely cheaper for the subscriptions.

Yeah. I went with Videocon for their yearly Platinum HD pack and free settop box for 5644 including installation. Will probably get it installed today and report later.

Ordered Videocon on Thursday and already feel like it's a mistake. Installation has not been done yet and the customer care guys have no clue what's going on.

Both my boxes have been installed within 6-8 hours of calling customer care...there is a toll free number..you can try it.

Both my boxes have been installed within 6-8 hours of calling customer care...there is a toll free number..you can try it.

The installation guys did come yesterday (48 hours after I ordered, to be precise) but they had brought a normal HD box instead of a DVR. So they took it back and left saying installation will be done by evening, which of course hasn't happened. Called customer care today and they have no idea what's happening.

BTW, the installation guys have run two cables to my TV saying that a DVR box will need two cables. Is that true ? Also, they took back the dish saying a DVR box needs a bigger dish. Does a DVR box need a bigger dish ?

One more thing - I ordered online. In fact, the customer care guy suggested that I order online. How did you guys order ?

Last edited:
Got Videocon HD for my second home last week....its currently running on a Sony CRT 21" which will be replaced with a PJ setup soon.So, no comments on PQ yet, but their service was damn fast , have to say.

The Airtel connection took 2 days - ordered by monday noon and installed by wednesday morning which was pretty quick according to me.But Videocon was just outstanding - ordered by monday 11:30 am, installed by 3 pm and reception started by 5:30 PM. The installation guys were helpful, polite and kept asking
"The connection was requested today morning only, nah?" They genuinely seemed proud in providing quick and clean service, which made me provide the guys with an extra 110 bucks for their travelling expense and enthusiasm(It cost me 2890 for the connection).

Overall, am satisfied so far with the service of the Videocon guys.

On another note, am so far happy with Airtel service also_Once had complete signal drop on a saturday night around 7pm, which i called up the service guy who came for installation and notified.I got a call next morning around 10 am from the guy asking my availability so that they could start and this was despite it being a Sunday.I was positively shocked and called up home to see if someone was available, but mom replied the signal became available by morning automatically.Called up the guy and conveyed the news and my regards to his dedication, and he was so happy and said to give him a call just whenever the need arises.

I have to say the standards are slowly rising with respect to customer care.I am seeing it all around these days, its been much better these days with almost all brands.Am hoping this remains the trend and more brands follow the suit.

Regards
Imrahn

The installation guys did come yesterday (48 hours after I ordered, to be precise) but they had brought a normal HD box instead of a DVR. So they took it back and left saying installation will be done by evening, which of course hasn't happened. Called customer care today and they have no idea what's happening.

BTW, the installation guys have run two cables to my TV saying that a DVR box will need two cables. Is that true ? Also, they took back the dish saying a DVR box needs a bigger dish. Does a DVR box need a bigger dish ?

One more thing - I ordered online. In fact, the customer care guy suggested that I order online. How did you guys order ?
Yes DVR will need two cables to record two channels simultaneously.

For HD/SD STB they provide 60 cm dish..while for DVR they provide 75 cm dish.

I bought HD box from shop and then got a call from customer care that technician will visit my place soon.

I ordered DVR box after calling customer care ..they noted all details and made that booking for me.

Now probably you can purchase it online..cause they have updated online booking in their website.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just would like to know if anyone has got experience with a common Tata Sky dish in a building catering to many flats.
If yes than
How is the video/audio quality compared to having your own dish??
Is it worth opting for such a connection?
Should the price be lower for such a connection?
I believe the charges are same. In that case wouldnt it be better to have ones own dish for better audio/video quality.:confused:
Members feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Guys,

Just would like to know if anyone has got experience with a common Tata Sky dish in a building catering to many flats.
If yes than
How is the video/audio quality compared to having your own dish??
Is it worth opting for such a connection?
Should the price be lower for such a connection?
I believe the charges are same. In that case wouldnt it be better to have ones own dish for better audio/video quality.:confused:
Members feedback would be appreciated.

I talk to Tata sky/Dish Tv/Reliance and they say's that they don't have concept of the common dish. while Videocon /Airtel provide connection with common antena. In Videocon, if you have more than 10 connection then you will get HD Setup box as well connection/Installation free but rate remains the same as per package you have selected. While I don't get any response from Airtel.

Thanks,

I tried to attach the file but no luck.

Below is the FAQ from Tata Sky
==========================

Some questions and answers to clarify the issues with respect to Cable TV / Dish TV / Tata Sky Proposal

Q1. (a) What is wrong with our existing cable TV system ? Is it mandatory to switch to a different system ?
(b)Who is/are Sukanta cable TV Service ?
(c) What is this Tata Sky proposal of DTH service put on the notice board ?

A1. (a) Nothing wrong with the existing cable TV system. Under this system the service provider RPG Netcom captures TV signal (of all different channels) through their own large dish antenna and from their central hub these signals are transmitted to UDITA through a fibre channel, which gets distributed to each and every apartment through our own internal cabling infrastructure already in place.

(b) Sukanta is a service provider in Jadavpur area who only provides maintenance to this RPG cable TV system to us at UDITA.

Tata Sky is another service provider who provides digital TV signal using a different technology called DTH (Direct to Home). In this system a consumer buys and installs his own small dish antenna which captures the signal directly from the satellite and feeds the signal to the TV via an equipment called Set Top Box to be installed by the consumer.

Q2. Who are the other DTH service providers ?
A2. As of today, there are only two service provider of DTH TV system. One is Tata Sky and the other is DishTV.

Q3. Can we not continue with our cable TV as it is ?
A3. Answer is both no and yes. As per Govt. of India notification, all cable TV service MUST switch to a system called CAS (Conditional Access System). Basically what it means is that a consumer has to pay on a monthly basis for the pay-channels, only those which he chooses to view. However about 30 Free to Air (FTA) channels can still be viewed without the SetTopBox explained below required for the CAS.

Q4. What do I need to view TV under CAS arrangement ?
A4. Under this system too, one has to install a set top box which will receive the signal from the present cable operator which will be fed to the TV. STB is not required for Free to Air channels.

Q5. When is CAS likely to be introduced ?
A5. CAS has already been introduced in some parts of Calcutta including Behala area w.e.f 1st Jan 2007. UDITA is falling under zone III where CAS is to be introduced sometime around May 2007. This is MANDATORY. That means without Set Top Box pay channels will black out the very day the CAS is implemented in an area.

Q6. What is the difference between CAS and DTH ?
A6. Firstly, both systems require a Set Top Box. However in case of DTH you also require additionally your own dish antenna to be installed with the STB contrary to the cable TV system where the operator has the large common antenna for all the subscribers.

Q7. Are the two set top boxes for signal via the cable operator (RPG) and that through DTH operators same/ interoperable ?
A7. No. The STB for a signal received from a cable operator and that through DTH are different. Further, the STB required for TataSky service is different from that required for DissTV. They are not interoperable.

Q8. How do I connect my TV to a DTH service ?
A8. You need to (i) buy DTH service from either TataSky or from Dish TV, (ii) Buy a compatible STB and an antenna from the same service provider and fix the antenna at your roof top / flat. You are on to DTH.

Q9. What is special then in the TataSky proposal put on the Udita tower notice boards ?
A9. The only thing special is that Tata has the technology with which they can feed signals to multiple TV in a multistoried building like ours through a common antenna installed over the roof top. Every individual subscriber need not put an antenna himself.

Q10. How does that help me ?
A10. The biggest advantage of this proposal is that any resident who chooses to subscribe to TataSky system can view the same without having the need to install individual antenna in his window or outer wall which spoil the aesthetic show of Udita towers.

Q11. Is there going to be a difference in quality of signal in case I buy my own antenna from Tata Sky vis--vis I opt for connection from the common antenna ?
Q11. For many of us the answer is yes. For some the answer is no. Under the DTH system every single dish antenna has to be aligned in a particular direction in order to get the signal directly from the particular satellite. The flats who do not have south-east direction open, or those who are in the lower floors, the signal from the satellite may not get a clear line of sight and the performance therefore may suffer. Whereas one common antenna at the roof top will be facing the satellite with a clear line of sight and the signal so received is expected to be without distortion.

Q12. Who else can provide me this service with common antenna on rooftop for all apartments in a building ?
Q12. As of now, only Tata Sky has the technology to provide multiple feed through a common antenna. The only other service provider of DTH, i.e. DishTV for some licensing issue can not provide this facility, though they expect to do so sometime in May 207.

Q13. Which all housing complex in Calcutta has such DTH system through a common antenna ?
A13. As per information available many such complexes already have this system including Highland Park and Tivoli Court.

Q14. Do I require to replace the exiting TV signal cables (concealed) in my apartment ?
A14. No. Tata Sky will lay a thick cable from the roof top antenna through our existing duct till the ground floor. This will also have necessary booster / amplifier etc. installed. If I subscribe for the TataSky DTH, my existing cable will simply be disconnected from the cable TV joint (in the duct near the stair case) and will be connected to the Tata Sky cable. There is going to be absolutely no change in my internal wiring inside the apartment.

Q15. Today I have two TV connections, one in the bedroom and the other in the Living room. Can I opt for one connection on TataSky DTH and the other continues on the cable TV (CAS) ?
A15. No, you can have only one system, either the existing one or DTH via TataSky, as the cable inside your apartment is onle one and can be connected to only one of the services.

Q16. Can I go for DishTV instead of subscribing to TataSky ?
A16. Of course yes. However, you need to fix your own antenna in the wall of the building which spoils the aesthetics. Technically no problem at all.

Q17. What are the expenses ?
A17. (A) Incase of CAS (i) you pay for the STBox either upfront about 3,000/- or can pay on a monthly rental of Rs. 45/- (ii) pay a fixed amount of of Rs. 77/- for viewing free channels and (iii) additional Rs. 5/- per pay channel monthly [add tax to each of these].
(B) In case of DTH bought on an individual capacity either from TataSky or from DishTV (i) you have to buy the SetTopBox approximately costing Rs.3,000/-, (ii) pay an installation of Rs. 1,000/- (iii) and viewing charge fixed at Rs.300/- pm.(for all channels together)
In case of DTH from common antenna at the roof top charges are same as in DTH described in (B) above.

Q18. Is there any extra cost for my 2nd TV connection ?
A18. Yes, for 2nd connection you need another STBox. However, viewing charges under DTH (Tata or Dish TV) reduces to Rs.100/- for the 2nd connection.

Q19. How many channels can I get under each of these systems ?
A19. CAS from cable operator will give you as many channel as you subscribe @Rs.5/-pm in addition to the few free channels. Whereas TataSky provides about 120 channels and Dish TV provides about 140 channels covered in Rs.300/- ( Rs.100/-) mentioned above. This includes 30 Free To Air (FTA) channels.

Q20. Do I have the option to choose as many pay channels as I wish from any of the DTH operators @rs.5/- per channel ?
A20. No. You will get full bouquet of 30 FTA channel and about 80 pay channels under this Rs.300/- pm tariff.

Q21. Do I have to pay anything extra for the infrastructure setting up by Tata Sky ?
A21. No. Tata Sky will bear that complete expense of setting up the infrastructure and cable laying etc. for the common antenna.

Q22. What about warranty or post warranty maintenance ?
Q22. STBoxes are warranted for one year at the end of which one has to sign an AMC valuing Rs. 500/ per annum for the Box with TataSky. The maintenance service for quality signal shall be ensured by the service provider as long as one pays the monthly subscription.

Q23. Will TataSky pay some rent to Udita for installing a common service (antenna) like Hutch, AirTel, BSNL are paying for their infrastructure installed over Panchami, Chaturthi etc.for their mobile connection ?
A23. No. TataSky is happy to sell the product as retail to the individuals. By installing common antenna and the cabling infrastructure they are not assured of any bulk business. Though the cost on multiple antennas is saved by them, but set up cost increases due to requirement of boosters / amplifiers etc. in every floor to carry the signal from the master antenna till the farthest TV point.

Q24. Is there any possibility of negotiation or discount for bulk subscription ?
A24. As far as viewing charge of Rs. 300/- and (Rs. 100/-) per month is concerned, the rate is fixed by regulatory authority and there appears no scope of any negotiation. Regarding the price of SetTopBox (and installation) there may be some scope of discount.

Q25. Is TataSky prepared to set up the infrastructure even if there is very small number of subscriber in each tower ?
A25. Yes.

Q26. How many antennae will be installed per tower and where will they get electric power from ?
A26. Per tower there will be two antennae, one in the low rise, other in the high rise. There will be a power consumption of about 50W-80W, which can be supplied from the common supply in the terrace.

Q27. Do I have the option to continue with the cable operator even if Tata Sky infrastructure is installed in all the towers ?
A27. Yes you may like to continue with the cable (under CAS), no problem.

Q28. I have already bought and installed TataSky antenna and STBox. Do I have the option to switch to the common facility ?
A28. Yes, of course. Though your personal dish antenna will become redundant in this case, but will save aesthetic look of your tower. The Dish however can be used in case you get transferred and relocated elsewhere in the country.

Q29. I already have installed DishTV. What are my options ?
A29. As such there is no scheme for migration from one operator to another. In case you opt for TataSky now, your DishTV investment will be wasted. It can be relocated to other house if you have or can be sold to somebody else.

Q30. Is it possible to get movie/video on demand through the DTH operator ?
A30. Yes, you can order for particular movie and watch in your TV.

Q31. In case of a common infrastructure for the whole building, is it possible that other subscribers also view the same movie that I have ordered for and I pay for it alone ?
A31. No. Only the particular subscriber who orders for the video on demand will get to view the ordered video through his Set Top Box (which are coded for each subscriber) only.

Q32. Most VITAL QUESTION who gives permission to TataSky to install the infrastructure ?
A32. For the present it is only UOA who can grant permission. UWOS can recommend to UOA for the implementation for the benefit of all residents. ?
-xx-

I believe they are starting a common dish In my building in Mumbai.
Reason I asked the questions.

A single DTH provider usually monopolize and prevents other DTH provider to enter into a society. Usually the society is also hand in glove with the DTH provider (there may be exceptions). In the earlier place I lived there were more than 200 appartments and particularly in some blocks TATA Sky was ruling by giving a common connection but they made sure that other DTH providers do not install their dish by arm twisting the society. Strangely other DTH providers are also reluctant to provide connection if they come to know that the particular block has common DTH connection. Even if we have DTH it is always better to have a cable settop box as during cloudy days and rains the DTH reception is worst.

Q2. Who are the other DTH service providers ?
A2. As of today, there are only two service provider of DTH TV system. One is Tata Sky and the other is DishTV.

Is videocon not a DTH service provider ?

Videocon's package seems to be value for money considering their 22 HD channels (platinum HD pack).

@all videocon subscribers : Please share your views about the quality of broadcast .

I currently have tatasky SD box which i am now thinking of converting to HD box (after my existing annual pack expires in FEB 2013) .

So please suggest if upgrading to videocon service makes sense (considering its cheaper cost but do not want to sacrifice on the picture quality)

Let me know
Thanks,
Myzus

Is videocon not a DTH service provider ?

Videocon's package seems to be value for money considering their 22 HD channels (platinum HD pack).

@all videocon subscribers : Please share your views about the quality of broadcast .

I currently have tatasky SD box which i am now thinking of converting to HD box (after my existing annual pack expires in FEB 2013) .

So please suggest if upgrading to videocon service makes sense (considering its cheaper cost but do not want to sacrifice on the picture quality)

Let me know
Thanks,
Myzus

I should say the quality of HD picture in videocon is as good as any other DTH service provider like Tatasky and Airtel. I would have gone for Videocon if they would have provided the 5.1 output when only Tatasky and Airtel had 5.1 sound output. After I installed Airtel and couple of weeks later Videocon started their 5.1 for HD channels. As of now Videocon has many HD channels and they have priced the HD channels well.

I talk to Tata sky/Dish Tv/Reliance and they say's that they don't have concept of the common dish. while Videocon /Airtel provide connection with common antena. In Videocon, if you have more than 10 connection then you will get HD Setup box as well connection/Installation free but rate remains the same as per package you have selected. While I don't get any response from Airtel.

Thanks Ajay,

Who gets this free set up box?
Society?
How is the audio/video quality??

A single DTH provider usually monopolize and prevents other DTH provider to enter into a society. Usually the society is also hand in glove with the DTH provider (there may be exceptions). In the earlier place I lived there were more than 200 appartments and particularly in some blocks TATA Sky was ruling by giving a common connection but they made sure that other DTH providers do not install their dish by arm twisting the society. Strangely other DTH providers are also reluctant to provide connection if they come to know that the particular block has common DTH connection. Even if we have DTH it is always better to have a cable settop box as during cloudy days and rains the DTH reception is worst.

Thanks Mathan,

Please if you could clarify about the charges and audio/video quality of such a connection?:confused:
How do you compare the quality with the set up box in normal days viewing?:confused:
Also would like to know if Tata Sky will change the existing cable running to the set up box or not??
My existing cable running to the settop box is 10 years old, originally provided by builder.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thanks Mathan,

Please if you could clarify about the charges and audio/video quality of such a connection?:confused:
How do you compare the quality with the set up box in normal days viewing?:confused:
Also would like to know if Tata Sky will change the existing cable running to the set up box or not??
My existing cable running to the settop box is 10 years old, originally provided by builder.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

1. When I moved into that apartment it already had a connection and I just had to change the package (It was a society connection and hence no installation charges). Simply whoever moves in can change the package to their convenience.

2. The audio and video quality was good. It had only SD settop box and no HD. I did not upgrade to HD there. The earlier tenant had also installed a cable settop box in another room and I found that the cable settop box video quality and audio quality was very good and comparable to DTH and frankly I could not find any difference between the DTH connection and cable settop box connection. During rainy days DTH connection used to get choppy and had to move to the cable settop box for uninterrupted viewing. Normal day the DTH connection was excellent with good Audio and Video quality.

3. If the cable is concealed inside your house upto set top box they would not change that. If you insist and pay the installation guy he would probably pull a new cable but I think he would not take up the concealing work for the cable.

Videocon D2H offers 5.1 channel audio on some HD channels, but not on the HDMI port. It offers a S/PDIF (Coaxial) output that can be connected to a home theatre system.

Videocon - Really Good to go - Price &

Quality

1. Registered on 5th Jan, Installed on

6th Jan itself
2. Clear Picture & Sound quality
3. Good package (1- year South

Platinam HD + New Connection =

5400) (Avg 250 / month only)
4. There is no other DTH provider

having this great plan (300+ channels)

for less money
5. More Sports & HD channels

Automatic Software update also :)...

Adds new features

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back