Best way to Back up your original DVD

What are the best setting for h.264 and audio Moser ji. Handbrake took 4 hrs to compress a movie. Is that a typical time?

Thanks for details,but this way we are loosing aud Q.
DVDfab is best to backup & it can shrink DVD to 4.5 too.

Try mediacoder (free) for H264,even H263 too.

Thanks for details,but this way we are loosing aud Q.
DVDfab is best to backup & it can shrink DVD to 4.5 too.

Try mediacoder (free) for H264,even H263 too.

@Spiro - HandBrake does not do any audio compression in AC3 except for Dynamic Range Compression which can be turned off (just Google for info on it). AC3 is very good with bitrate of 640 kbps so there is no loss in SQ really. Coming to DVDFab its more famous for breaking copy protection on DVDs and not really for encoding in other formats. Use DVDFab to rip DVD to HDD, but for encoding Divx/Xvid are the best for MPEG-4 compression. This has been proved in enough tests. There is no way MPEG-2 can even compare with MPEG-4 in the same file size. At the very minimum an MPEG-2 file has to be twice the size of an MPEG-4 file to even compete for PQ.

As I've said it makes sense to go with MPEG-2 compression only if you don't have h/w that plays MPEG-4 like a Divx player. Otherwise no comparison between both.

moserv, if I am going to do a constant quality at 65%, do i still need to enable 2-pass encoding? I read that 2-pass if good to achieve a specific file size but not for constant quality.

I ask this bcos, i tried the setting i posting, serenity movie which started at 9 am was not done even at 9 am which was bizare. When i start it says 9h estimated completion.

Also, how do i save my custom settings, searched everywhere not able to find a clear answer pls

there is nthing like preservng the original DVD :)

When u tr to open a DVD in Windows explorer.. you will not be able to copy unless its a pirate done.. the DVD files is organized by a standard Chapter mechanism... But those things are cracked way back :) ... use this s/w to decrypt the chapters and put in harddisc then just burn back in a blank dvd as Data Disc... any other transcoding will end in compression artifacts...

DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0 (freeware)

cheers,
kannan

Re: there is nthing like preservng the original DVD :)

When u tr to open a DVD in Windows explorer.. you will not be able to copy unless its a pirate done.. the DVD files is organized by a standard Chapter mechanism... But those things are cracked way back :) ... use this s/w to decrypt the chapters and put in harddisc then just burn back in a blank dvd as Data Disc... any other transcoding will end in compression artifacts...

DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0 (freeware)

cheers,
kannan
I have already copied the DVD to harddisk. I use DVD43 as I am more confortable wiht it. The problem is handbrake is taking around 11 hrs to encode a dvd9 file in the setting i posted in last page.

oh! ok...
i am able to get your situation.. i used to do that once.. :eek:
trans coding does take a heavy toll in the hardware...
2-Pass encoding is not mandatory.. in 2-pass, in the first pass the s/w analyzes the scene and judges the amount of compression to be applied in the second pass compression... chk a sample of the both pass encoding, if you are satisfied with result.. you can go with single pass encoding... more on video conversion chk VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists

Most of the transcodingtask is memory and processor based...however the speed can be increased by some s/w using the Graphics card power (GPU).. how ever i dont have direct tool suggestion.. please check these article could through some light on ...
AnandTech: GPU Transcoding Throwdown: Elemental's Badaboom vs. AMD's Avivo Video Converter
GPU Transcoding: Nvidia CUDA vs ATI AVT
ATI Delivers GPU-Accelerated Video Transcoding--ExtremeTech News - 3D Graphics, Audio & HDTV by ExtremeTech

hope it helps,
cheers,
kannan

oh! ok...
i am able to get your situation.. i used to do that once.. :eek:
trans coding does take a heavy toll in the hardware...
2-Pass encoding is not mandatory.. in 2-pass, in the first pass the s/w analyzes the scene and judges the amount of compression to be applied in the second pass compression... chk a sample of the both pass encoding, if you are satisfied with result.. you can go with single pass encoding... more on video conversion chk VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists

Most of the transcodingtask is memory and processor based...however the speed can be increased by some s/w using the Graphics card power (GPU).. how ever i dont have direct tool suggestion.. please check these article could through some light on ...
AnandTech: GPU Transcoding Throwdown: Elemental's Badaboom vs. AMD's Avivo Video Converter
GPU Transcoding: Nvidia CUDA vs ATI AVT
ATI Delivers GPU-Accelerated Video Transcoding--ExtremeTech News - 3D Graphics, Audio & HDTV by ExtremeTech

hope it helps,
cheers,
kannan

Thanks Kannan. I am aware of that. My question was the next level. I am not bothered about file size and worry only about quality. So I am using Constant Quality. So was asking if 2-stage makes any difference at all bcos I have already specified Hand Brake to use Constant Quality

moserv, if I am going to do a constant quality at 65%, do i still need to enable 2-pass encoding? I read that 2-pass if good to achieve a specific file size but not for constant quality.

I ask this bcos, i tried the setting i posting, serenity movie which started at 9 am was not done even at 9 am which was bizare. When i start it says 9h estimated completion.

Also, how do i save my custom settings, searched everywhere not able to find a clear answer pls

2-pass encoding is recommended for the purist I guess. Most do not notice a difference between single pass and multipass. Either way there is no way it should take that long. Guess something is holding HandBrake. It always takes around 20 min max for me for a movie. Check if HandBrake is up to date.

Coming to saving custom settings, just select the settings you want and then on the right hand side where the "Presets" are there select "Add" at the very bottom and name the new preset as MBR or something. You can even set this MBR preset as default so next time HandBrake is loaded it will load with your default settings.

2-pass encoding is recommended for the purist I guess. Most do not notice a difference between single pass and multipass. Either way there is no way it should take that long. Guess something is holding HandBrake. It always takes around 20 min max for me for a movie. Check if HandBrake is up to date.

Coming to saving custom settings, just select the settings you want and then on the right hand side where the "Presets" are there select "Add" at the very bottom and name the new preset as MBR or something. You can even set this MBR preset as default so next time HandBrake is loaded it will load with your default settings.

Thanks Moser, without 2-pass it took 7 hr and 46 mins to complete. Still scratching why it took so much time

8 GB dual layer Serenity movies was compressed to a 3 GB .mkv movie with a Video Bitrate of 1.9 mbps and AC3 Dolby audio.

First look, cant spot difference between original and this rip.

Thanks Moser, without 2-pass it took 7 hr and 46 mins to complete. Still scratching why it took so much time

8 GB dual layer Serenity movies was compressed to a 3 GB .mkv movie with a Video Bitrate of 1.9 mbps and AC3 Dolby audio.

First look, cant spot difference between original and this rip.

That's great to hear and that's what we all want. Now you need to figure out what's the best/optimum setting and what will finish the job faster. I've honestly never had HandBrake so long, but then my output has always been 1400 MB so "Constant Quality" has always been at 0% and also output has always been AVI files and not MKV. I'll try an MKV rip with "Constant Quality" at 100% just to check it out. BTW do note that at one time HandBrake was taking a long time like 3-4 hours and an update fixed it for me. So check if HandBrake needs to be updated. I will post my timings for an MKV rip at "Constant Quality" too.

That's great to hear and that's what we all want. Now you need to figure out what's the best/optimum setting and what will finish the job faster. I've honestly never had HandBrake so long, but then my output has always been 1400 MB so "Constant Quality" has always been at 0% and also output has always been AVI files and not MKV. I'll try an MKV rip with "Constant Quality" at 100% just to check it out. BTW do note that at one time HandBrake was taking a long time like 3-4 hours and an update fixed it for me. So check if HandBrake needs to be updated. I will post my timings for an MKV rip at "Constant Quality" too.

Thanks bhai (i can say that right :))

I have the latest Handbrake version. Can you do me a favor by trying the same setting I posted? This will tell us clearly if there is a problem with my system.

Also, I made a .mkv using the classic setting in Handbrake. It was 1.7 GB .mkv file and quality was good but not perfect.

The new settings seems to be great. Will do a 10 scene dark test this weekend and most more results with pics.

Dear all,
We have had some good discussions on this topic but they are buried part of various threads. I think its an important thread as we all love our DVDs and would hate to see one degrade.

Can each of you tell whats the best method you think.

What software is needed?

Whats the process and settings used?

Codecs and container preferred:

Rating:

1. Easy of use
2. PQ Quality
3. SQ Quality
4. Best Compression

hi, was late to see this thread ,ok the best software to rip the copy protection from all region dvds is the dvd decrypter available free at dvdidle.com , slysoft.com , anydvd.com you cud download the free stuff or the trail versions ,out of these u cud try the dvd fab HD decrypter 5 ,u cud also try anydvd from slyfoft.com-----------once installed select the main movie, audio, also if size of movie is more than 6gb u cud split it into 2 discs ----once u r thro with this u cud use nero to burn it on to the discs---- with this u will have a copy almost 100% in PQ/SQ--------this is best if u are renting out original region 1 dvds u cud make a 100% copy of the original for a mere 15rs!! (cost of a blank dvd) plus rental charges!!!

Found this article useful so posting it. pls comment:

Hack Attack : How to Create aXXo Quality DVD Rips

DVD movies are the best way to pass time while you are at home and have nothing else to do. There are times though when the DVD you rented at the local DVD store has to be returned within 24 hours and you want to watch the movie again and again. In such situations ripping the DVDs is the best way to go.

If you have been a P2P torrents user for any length of time, Im sure youve heard of aXXo. A lot of people are in love with him and his releases on the internet (including me as well). The quality of his rips are always spot on, and many people have asked me to how he creates such wonderful rips at 700mb which is insanely small.

Sometime in the past aXXo had stopped releasing new movies, and many users were angry. Well you cant blame him, because he had his own reasons. The purpose of this Hack Attack though is to reduce your dependency on guys like aXXo.

Its as simple as going to a DVD rental store or site, getting the DVD and creating a perfect 700mb DVD rip for the rest of us to enjoy. You dont need to depend on guys like aXXo anymore.

Without further delay, lets get started with the process, of creating your super small high quality DVD Rip. Here are the tools you will require to get started

* DVD Decrypter
* Auto GK
* K-lite Codec Pack (if you already have a codec pack installed you can leave this one out)

Install the above softwares, just like you would install any other software, and then grab yourself a cup of caffeine before you proceed. I am going to split this guide into two parts. Lets get started with the first part.
PART 1 : Ripping the DVD to your Hard Disk

Ripping DVD

Step 1

Fire up DVD Decrypter. It should like the screenshot above. Insert your DVD in your DVD drive and select the appropriate drive as Source, and a folder on your hard disk as the destination with atleast 3-4GB of free space.

Step 2

As you can see in my screenshot, my DVD doesnt have any region protection, copy protection and RCE protection. It might not be the same with your DVD, and you need to get rid of the protection schemes.

To get rid of the protection schemes, click tools from the menu bar and select settings. The settings dialog should now appear. Now tick the Remove Macrovision Protection check box, this will remove the Macrovision flag of the VOB files on the disc. RCE
Protection Region should be set to the region your drive (or standalone DVD player) has.

You can find the regions below :

* Region 1 - 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
* Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
* Region 3 - Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
* Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
* Region 5 - Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
* Region 6 - Peoples Republic of China
* Region 7 Reserved
* Region 8 - Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

See the following screenshot for a clearer picture of what you are supposed to do.

Removing DVD Protection

Step 3

Now that you are done with everything, you are ready to rip the DVD to your disk. Make sure the drive containing your destination folder has enough free space on it. Select all the files on the right column if they arent already selected and hit the Start button as highlighted in the screenshot below.

Ripping DVD

It should complete ripping after a while and you should see something like this

Ripping DVD

Yup that is it, you are done with the first part. Now that you have the ripped files on your disk, you can test them on your media player and when you are satisfied you can eject the DVD. Now lets proceed with part 2 of this guide
Part 2 : Compressing the DVD to AVI format

Compresing DVD

Open up Auto GK. It should like the one shown above. Basically this is where all the action happens. Ill guide you through the process of choosing the best settings through to the last step where you can watch your 700MB rip.

Lets continue then

Step 4

Compresing DVD Compresing DVD

(Click on the screenshots to enlarge)

Locate the input file from the folder you used to store the rips in DVD Decrypter Heres how you select the file. In the Open dialog box, select the details view. The input file that we are going to select is an *.IFO file.

As you can see from my screenshot VTS_00_0.IFO has three .VOB files under it with the maximum size, which means this is the movie were looking for. Select the IFO to proceed.

Now give the output file, whatever name you need to give by clicking the Output file field.

Step 5

Compresing DVD

As you can see from the screenshot above, the program lists the available subtitles and Audio tracks. On my DVD there are no subtitles, and there is only one Audio track, so I will select that.

On most DVDs you have 2 Channel Sound (2ch), Surround Sound (6ch). Id prefer Surround sound over normal 2 channel if available simply because they sound much better.

Now select the Target (Output) Size. I have selected 700MB here. Generally speaking, higher the size you select, the more clearer the picture is on the DVD will be.

Now click Advanced Settings button to show the Advanced Options window as shown.

Compresing DVD

Configure the settings as shown in the Screenshot. Choose XviD over DivX because it gives you higher compression for same quality compared to DivX.

Step 6

Compresing DVD

Now that you have finished configuring everything, just click the Add Job button and the Start button to start the conversion/compression process.

Just grab yourself some coffee, if you have finished the one you took before getting started. The compression process will take quite a while, so you could even have a nice nap meanwhile.

Note : You wont much activity in Auto GK itself. A lot of programs will load including a couple of command prompt windows, do their jobs and exit. This is completely normal so dont bother messing around with anything.
Thats it guys! You have made your first aXXo like DVD Rip!

hi , once compressed the entire quality is bad, compressed stuff is ok for small screen but for screens more than 40" plus compression is junk!! instead u cud split bigger sized movies to 2 discs

hi , once compressed the entire quality is bad, compressed stuff is ok for small screen but for screens more than 40" plus compression is junk!! instead u cud split bigger sized movies to 2 discs

I did compress an Original Serenity Dual Layer DVD to a .mkv encoded in H.264. I have a Pana PV8 and I did not see any difference between the original and the compressed one. The compression yielded a 3 GB files from the original 8 GB.

I will not say compression is junk, its upto one to decide what amount of compression is good for them.

I did compress an Original Serenity Dual Layer DVD to a .mkv encoded in H.264. I have a Pana PV8 and I did not see any difference between the original and the compressed one. The compression yielded a 3 GB files from the original 8 GB.

I will not say compression is junk, its upto one to decide what amount of compression is good for them.

hi, fast paced action scenes the compressed content doesnt look good, its ok at small screen sizes ,i too have a pana PV8 and also an optoma HD65 with 120" grand view screen and also with compression the SQ appears thin and bright, i wudnt compress beyond 80% and if the size of the main movie is bigger, than i wud prefer to split to 2 discs or burn it on to a 8.5 gb disc (the recent movie Australia is really big ,its 7.5gb,only the main movie---i have decrypted and burnt it on a 8.5gb disc and the SQ/PQ is same as original)

hi, fast paced action scenes the compressed content doesnt look good, its ok at small screen sizes ,i too have a pana PV8 and also an optoma HD65 with 120" grand view screen and also with compression the SQ appears thin and bright, i wudnt compress beyond 80% and if the size of the main movie is bigger, than i wud prefer to split to 2 discs or burn it on to a 8.5 gb disc (the recent movie Australia is really big ,its 7.5gb,only the main movie---i have decrypted and burnt it on a 8.5gb disc and the SQ/PQ is same as original)

I understand Subash. Thats is the main reason I picked Serenity bcos it has some of best fast paced action scenes and also verk dark scenes which usually highlights crappy compression.

But the compression in DVD is pretty old age and lousy and when you compare it with H.264 its really great. After trying various compressions, finally I am happy with H.264 compression as it has given me the PQ in compression I always wanted from a DVD. I am yet to do a full blow test, which I will do this weekend.

As far as SQ is concerned, I did a Dolby passthrough with the AC3. Its the same as in the source.

You're right for ripped content, but even SD content like DVDs, Cable TV, DTH TV, etc. look bad on large screens. My brother has a 60" LCD and everything from Tata Sky to DVDs to Divx rips look bad on it even when compared to a CRT TV. Only HD content looks good on it and of course gaming on the PS3.

Like I've said in this post before, compressed rips are in MPEG-4 and DVDs are in MPEG-2. MPEG-4 will give the quality of MPEG-2 at even greater than 50% compression. Just check any aXXo 700 MB rip and you will understand what I mean. But taking SD content that is ripped and playing it on a HDTV and asking it to look good is asking for too much especially when non-ripped SD content itself looks bad on large screen HDTVs. The only solution is an Oppo I suppose with its awesome upscaling.

Any idea how we can retain DTS? It pains to see DTS being lost in HandBrake. I love DTS and many of DVDs have DTS stream.

Any option? Handbrake only allows AC3

Any idea how we can retain DTS? It pains to see DTS being lost in HandBrake. I love DTS and many of DVDs have DTS stream.

Any option? Handbrake only allows AC3

HandBrake does not support it. Guess ripping by definition itself means letting go of high b/w DTS streams. AutoGK does allow you to do it. Give it a shot.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back