Best way to Back up your original DVD

Thanks Moser, will try AutoGK.

One more update. Last nite, encoded Requiem of a Dream (another fav movie of mine).

The same settings i mentioned without 2 pass resulted in 1.8 GB movie file.

The same settings with 2 pass resulted in a 2.8 GB movie file.

First look clarity seems to be same. As mentioned will post detailed review on weekend.

One more update. Last nite, encoded Requiem of a Dream (another fav movie of mine).

That's a favorite movie of mine too, but then I love Jennifer Connelly.

The same settings i mentioned without 2 pass resulted in 1.8 GB movie file.

The same settings with 2 pass resulted in a 2.8 GB movie file.

First look clarity seems to be same. As mentioned will post detailed review on weekend.

Actually on first look and to most there will hardly be any difference. Videophiles are a different breed. I'm sure you'll find some difference but it's something you'll live with just considering the original DVDs will be safe and the amount of space you'll save too.

I'll post soon about my tests too.

Guys ,

In your opinion which is the best player/codec to play .mkv video file.

If on the PC then VLC, Media Player Classic, The KMPlayer all do a good job, and its basically what works for you. I prefer VLC for its ease of use. Do note though I've not checked on an LCD or Plasma, only on the PC. Coming to external DVDP, well none do it as of now so WDTV wins hands down I guess.

I use KM player as of now wanted to know if you guys knew anything better got VLC too.

I see that the H.263 codec is released by many diff groups any particular suggestions.

Thanks for the information moser,Ram

Technically I've read independent white papers that show Microsoft VC-1 is a better one than h.264 ( yes M$ did get something right!! :D )

It results in lesser cpu utilization when decoding.

Cheers

Technically I've read independent white papers that show Microsoft VC-1 is a better one than h.264 ( yes M$ did get something right!! :D )

Cheers

Is it free, does all media player support this codec?

Cheers

I don't see it going far though. Not when MKV is open source. Unless MS makes VC-1 open source and gives it to the community. I've had the most problem with WMP not playing most of anything and WMA sucks too.

I use KM player as of now wanted to know if you guys knew anything better got VLC too.

I see that the H.263 codec is released by many diff groups any particular suggestions.

Thanks for the information moser,Ram

KMP is very nice. Configure it properly and you will have a powerful player in your hands!

Last edited:
@MBR - Any luck/updates?

I've tried with HandBrake and AutoGK and have good results. MKV too is done in under an hour, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the file size. Average sizes I've tried are from 2GB to 4GB and PQ is stunning to say the least. Of course this is only on my PC monitor since I don't (yet) have h/w to play MKV files. That should be solved soon though with WDTV. Only StaxRip is pending and I'm starting with that now. Will keep ya posted how it comes out.

Thanks bhai (i can say that right :))

I have the latest Handbrake version. Can you do me a favor by trying the same setting I posted? This will tell us clearly if there is a problem with my system.

Also, I made a .mkv using the classic setting in Handbrake. It was 1.7 GB .mkv file and quality was good but not perfect.

The new settings seems to be great. Will do a 10 scene dark test this weekend and most more results with pics.

@MBR - Any luck/updates?

I've tried with HandBrake and AutoGK and have good results. MKV too is done in under an hour, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the file size. Average sizes I've tried are from 2GB to 4GB and PQ is stunning to say the least. Of course this is only on my PC monitor since I don't (yet) have h/w to play MKV files. That should be solved soon though with WDTV. Only StaxRip is pending and I'm starting with that now. Will keep ya posted how it comes out.

The quality is very very good, but with the settings i posted it takes 8-9 hrs in Handbrake.

The quality is very very good, but with the settings i posted it takes 8-9 hrs in Handbrake.

Ok. Try with StaxRip and AutoGK too. Might do a faster job. I'm really getting it done in an hour for MKV and under 30 min for AVI. I've tried in all and now doing with StaxRip and that too is going pretty fast.

Edit - Above all else I guess quality matters so if 8 hours is fine with you I guess you can leave it overnight too.

Ok. Try with StaxRip and AutoGK too. Might do a faster job. I'm really getting it done in an hour for MKV and under 30 min for AVI. I've tried in all and now doing with StaxRip and that too is going pretty fast.

Edit - Above all else I guess quality matters so if 8 hours is fine with you I guess you can leave it overnight too.

What settings did you use for .mkv in handbrake and also also was it a DVD9?

What settings did you use for .mkv in handbrake and also also was it a DVD9?

I used the settings you specified and also tried my usual file size of 2GB to 4GB settings. Yup, DVD9... DVD5 is hardly made these days with all the extras, commentary, trailer, etc. Only grouch is even with DVD9 they still do not put in DTS.

BTW, I've even d/l Divx 7 and this comes with Divx Converter with a 15-day trial. I'm even trying on Divx Converter though its only limited to Divx codec and even on the HD profile its doing it under an hour, but its not MKV.

HI Moser/Ram,

Thanks for the information you have provided.. u guys are really helpful and genius in ur own way, i tried handbrake s/w for encoding the movie "300" but the PQ remains same but sound output doesnt exist. Can you guys help me as what settings needs to be modified to get SQ same as the orginal one. your help is much appreciated.

HI Moser/Ram,

Thanks for the information you have provided.. u guys are really helpful and genius in ur own way, i tried handbrake s/w for encoding the movie "300" but the PQ remains same but sound output doesnt exist. Can you guys help me as what settings needs to be modified to get SQ same as the orginal one. your help is much appreciated.

@techgadgets4379 - Firstly make sure you have the latest/updated version of HandBrake. In "Audio & Subtitles" section the "Source" tab will reveal all available audio streams depending on what your source i.e. DVD, MKV, etc. The "Audio Codec" tab will let you choose what to output in the ripped/encoded copy you will make. Here choose AC3 for 5.1 SQ i.e. Dolby Digital. All the rest will be 2 channel stereo. Hope this helps...

Guys, need help on AGK (Auto Gordian Knot). I've tried to rip my DVD using AGK. I left it for whole night to work on the rip but in the morning I've seen that it have failed due to some aviSynth error after 10 hours of processing. I'm totally noob in this and I'm at loss now. I thought it may be an issue with my laptop so I've started again in my other laptop before coming to office. Will go home now and check the rip.
But my question is do I need to take care of anything before I start using AGK? It looked fairly simple to me from the GUI and from the documents. I've left it to the defaults for the rip as it's the first time. Or as mentioned in one of the posts here, do I need to use DVD decrypter separately to decrypt the DVD first and then use the AGK? Please help me guys. And doesn't 10 hrs kind of time looks too long? I was hoping for around 5-6 hours of ripping effort for one movie.

If process starts properly & then fails,ie you may have to install new codec pack.Secondly your LAP processer shld be powerful too.

Guys, need help on AGK (Auto Gordian Knot). I've tried to rip my DVD using AGK. I left it for whole night to work on the rip but in the morning I've seen that it have failed due to some aviSynth error after 10 hours of processing. I'm totally noob in this and I'm at loss now. I thought it may be an issue with my laptop so I've started again in my other laptop before coming to office. Will go home now and check the rip.
But my question is do I need to take care of anything before I start using AGK? It looked fairly simple to me from the GUI and from the documents. I've left it to the defaults for the rip as it's the first time. Or as mentioned in one of the posts here, do I need to use DVD decrypter separately to decrypt the DVD first and then use the AGK? Please help me guys. And doesn't 10 hrs kind of time looks too long? I was hoping for around 5-6 hours of ripping effort for one movie.

DVD FAB HDDECRYPTER ,try out the new version, it decrypts the copy protection (main movie)in abt 25 min and puts it on your hard disc,and u need another 20 mins to burn it on to a disc

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back