Beware Airtel DTH experience

mekr

I bought airtel digital TV hoping to gain from the best technology ,but my experience with the DTH STP is devastating,in indian summer due to hot climate the STP just hangs and in rainy season due to rains the working of the broadcast just stops,after going through contents i feel cable TV is way ahead of Digital, as content is very few in DTH,i miss cable

I bought airtel digital TV hoping to gain from the best technology ,but my experience with the DTH STP is devastating,in indian summer due to hot climate the STP just hangs and in rainy season due to rains the working of the broadcast just stops,after going through contents i feel cable TV is way ahead of Digital, as content is very few in DTH,i miss cable

Almost all DTh system freezes in rainy days,my Dishtv too.

i think this is the fault of all the DTH providers who mount their dishes on single arms, as opposed to the tripods that Tata Sky uses (this is my theory since the dishes mounted on the tripods don't move a millimeter if you shake them, whereas the ones mounted on the arms sway an inch or two at least when you shake them with your hands). Tata Sky very rarely has weather interference issues, although it does happen.

Almost all DTh system freezes in rainy days,my Dishtv too.

i think this is the fault of all the DTH providers who mount their dishes on single arms, as opposed to the tripods that Tata Sky uses (this is my theory since the dishes mounted on the tripods don't move a millimeter if you shake them, whereas the ones mounted on the arms sway an inch or two at least when you shake them with your hands). Tata Sky very rarely has weather interference issues, although it does happen.

Dish provide Tripod,but it is drawback of DTH.

This is a problem of satellite technology.

A disadvantage of Ku band system - at frequencies higher than 10 GHz in heavy rain fall areas, a noticeable signal degradation occurs. This problem can be solved by using an appropriate link budget when designing the wireless communication link. Higher power can overcome the loss to rain fade.

Ku band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers

I am surprised by these reports. I have been using DishTV for the last two odd years, and have never had a any issues excepting in deep monsoon season. Even when there are dark clouds I get clear signal. When it rains heavily, of course, I don't expect any signal and disconnect my system it protect to from lightning.

I have heard of people buying the set top boxes and enjoying Indian DTH systems in Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia and other nearby countries. So you should be able to get good signal in India. Just ask your supplier to come and fine tune the reception. The antenna has to face the geostationary satellite exactly. At those distances, even a few degrees here and there, and you will miss the signals completely.

DishTV's rude customer and their constant price increases are a different matter altogether.

Cheers

Last edited:

It seems you don't know about Mumbai rains , I heard many complaints about Tata Sky - and heard horror stories of rude behaviour of their representatives!:mad::mad:

Isko laga dala aur baaish main jhamela!!

Hathway STB is cable box right? So no question of indivisual disk.... so no issue about my Cisco- You Scod 18 Box also!!
yes its hathway STB Cable box with just for 500rs..with awesome clarity!! but I didnt hear about Cisco..can you elaborate more (meaning clarity, service etc)..?

yes its hathway STB Cable box with just for 500rs..with awesome clarity!! but I didnt hear about Cisco..can you elaborate more (meaning clarity, service etc)..?

Cisco is the manufacturer of STB. You Scod 18 cable gives these STBs.
Cable networks don't have much problems with rain as they use large dish.
Discussion here is about DTH. They provide a very small dish.

i have used big tv earlier. and yes there were hanging issues. in tata sky plus though, which i'm using now, there aint any at all. infact the software works like a breeze. so its not that all dth have hanging issues. and well cable has its share of cons isnt it? no fixed rates, picture clarity always an issue, sudden removal of channels etc.

@reju
dunno man, but i've only heard good things about ADTV. are all users facing these issues? not sure

There is another 2 alternatives to CAble/DTH.

1. Cable itself. Nowadays cable operators, (atleast in Gujrat) are now offering Digital STBs for digital cable transmission containing all the channels ur operator is offering. They r good quality trnasmission at the same rate. U just pay for the STB.

2. IPTV. BSNL already started it. ANd with BSNL it will be transparent/fair pricing. With Movie on demand and more add-ons,it is an exciting option.

i have used big tv earlier. and yes there were hanging issues. in tata sky plus though, which i'm using now, there aint any at all. infact the software works like a breeze. so its not that all dth have hanging issues. and well cable has its share of cons isnt it? no fixed rates, picture clarity always an issue, sudden removal of channels etc.

@reju
dunno man, but i've only heard good things about ADTV. are all users facing these issues? not sure

The good things were BEFORE Mumbai rains!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
And mind well -rains are NOT at all harsh as it used to be...

Indian weather is testing ground for a lot of gadets!!!

@ Yogesh - at Sanpada Vashi Navi Mumbai STB were distributed FREE for limite period of Time! ( with monthly charge @ Rs 50 for next 3 months!!)
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Well, this may be a problem with DTH in genral but no way can Airtel be blamed. It is the best DTH service provider in the country IMO.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back