BIC America Speakers SubWoofers Owners Thread

Hi fellow Bic owners. I recently bought a Pl 200 II for my upgraded home theater. The sub is really good compared to my previous 8inch passive sub that came with a decade old philips htib.

My usage is 50% movies, 20%music and 30% games. The sub performs really well in movies, but for some reason I find that for songs in stereo it's a bit boomy. I currently only listen to mp3 off a usb and YouTube from ps4.

I don't have enough floor space in the room to place it anywhere else and since the Bic performs well for movies I'm not sure what is causing the boominess in stereo.

Hope someone can help me out on this. For starters, Xover is set to 100, I've kept the gain at 1 o clock on the sub.

Hi

If it is a recent purchase then you need to give it time to break in and blend well with the system. At least 20 to 40 hours!

If break in is already done then check the volume levels on the sub. Being ported you need to keep the sub at 40 or 45% % volume and then do setup. If your room is small then maybe even lesser. The idea is to ensure that the sub outputs the required low frequencies and not make the place like a club where you want room rattling bass or boominess.

Sealed subs work well for music....given your preference of use, a ported one makes sense.

I had the PL 200 which was rear ported and served me very well in a small area for both music and movies. Sub volume was at 35 to 40% and I let the AVR handle the setup for LFE levels to adjust.

I had kept my sub at 110hz, Front were at 100hz.....this is to ensure that no frequency is lost....Bass Management was Fronts + Sub. Based on the speakers you have and their handling capability, you can manually tweak the bass settings.

Stereo input signals will always send proper continuous frequencies to the sub when compared to movies which only send those frequencies when required for specific scenes. You can expect boominess.

I traded up to a SVS SB 1000 which works well and is compact (Sealed). For me music is 80% and 20% movies. There is no boominess as its a sealed sub but can get really loud for action and explosion scenes.

Which AVR are you using? I use a Marantz SR series for years (diff models being updated all the time) and it has worked well for me. After running Audyssey setup, I prefer keeping listening preferences to FLAT rather than reference.

My overall take is that if a sub is front ported then you need to ensure you get the correct power sub if a small room. Usually PL 200 would be an overkill for a small place when you dont have options or alternative space for placement which can cause boominess.
Thats the reason a H100ii would do better justice for small and tight spaces, this model was used by me before I got the PL 200 and now is available over Hifi Mart and other dealers......the H100ii is rear ported and served me well before I traded up to PL 200.

I was already a Bic owner with two pairs of DV32s. This week added a BiC PL-300 subwoofer. This is an upgrade over a 12" active subwoofer and a 12" JBL passive subwoofer. Already feeling a vast difference. Presently, set up in a smaller room & not calibrated and sub appears to be too big for it. Will review after calibration. Also will shift it to living room temporarily and see.

I was already a Bic owner with two pairs of DV32s. This week added a BiC PL-300 subwoofer. This is an upgrade over a 12" active subwoofer and a 12" JBL passive subwoofer. Already feeling a vast difference. Presently, set up in a smaller room & not calibrated and sub appears to be too big for it. Will review after calibration. Also will shift it to living room temporarily and see.

Congrats on your latest purchase...heard the PL300 is quite a monster in performance and needs to be calibrated properly for optimal performance.

Congrats on your latest purchase...heard the PL300 is quite a monster in performance and needs to be calibrated properly for optimal performance.

Yes Monster in performance but by not much in terms of size, it is taller mainly because of the ports. I am loving it too so far, had got it at a steal deal. Sadly @RaahulT couldn't get it but he too got a good price.

@RaahulT no more humming issues and how is the performance, let it break in and then calibrate.

Yes Monster in performance but by not much in terms of size, it is taller mainly because of the ports. I am loving it too so far, had got it at a steal deal. Sadly @RaahulT couldn't get it but he too got a good price.

@RaahulT no more humming issues and how is the performance, let it break in and then calibrate.
Yes it at a good price than present market price Thanks to Amrut, directing me to the dealer and necessary inputs. Given I am located at a remote location, auditions are out question, and I relied on his experience with Bic.
Humming was due to unshielded RCA cable running a longer distance. I could not use my shielded cables which were only 1m long.
Then I used the coaxial cable of dish antenna connected thru RCA male. Humming is gone, Noise none to notice and sub plays well.

I am looking at BIC PL 300 as well. Can anyone pm me a good dealer who can offer a good price for it? I will be using it for Movies only. Any feedback is appreciated.

What is the secondary going price for PL200ii ? I have one bought in May 2019, still in warranty. Planning to sell it in couple of months.

I posted this separately but was guided to post in this thread as I would likely get better response
===================
I have been using a passive SWF from an older Onkyo HTIB coupling with a subwoofer amplifier connected to Yamaha RXv6A receiver. Recently bought a used BIC PL200 II SWF. However, that is not fitting into the slot for the SWF in my TV console. The other feasible slot is on the opposite wall where it will be closer to the right-side wall and a bit away to the right of MLP. Before I make cabling changes, I want to get an opinion if this will impact the overall sound adversely. Originally I intended to dispose off the older SWF. But I can retain it if it will add to the overall sound as the receiver has 2 SWF Preouts.

I am not looking for heavy floorshaking bass but enough to enrich movies and music.
====================

One of my friend purchased a BIC PL200 II recently and he was given just 1 year warranty on both driver and the amp. Friends please confirm!

One of my friend purchased a BIC PL200 II recently and he was given just 1 year warranty on both driver and the amp. Friends please confirm!
Yes, its true. Even I was thinking to buy PL 200II and got in touch with Pristine Audio. The concerned person was a thorough gentleman and politely answered my queries. He also explained to me that due to many cases of Amp failure of BIC sub in the past years; company has now started giving only 1 year warranty. That too, when the amp failure has happened due to design flaw not due to mishandling by the Customer.
Therefore, I didn't buy BIC sub.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back