Bookshelf Speakers

AG1992

Hi everyone
I am Anany, new here, new into stereo world as well. I was contemplating my first stereo purchase, I hope you all can help me out.
I listen to basically Jazz, Rock (not heavy rock, except a few) and Bollywood.
Like detailed but smooth sound, listen to not-much high volumes, room size 15*12.
I may get a Rega Elex amp from a friend who's moving abroad soon.
Looking to pair bookshelf speakers with them. Shortlisted following with help of Google baba and previous posts on this forum, no demos.
Budget: under 1.2L (preferred under 1L)

Revel M16
Dynaudio X14
Wharfdale Evo 4.2
Quad S2
Dynaudio Emit M20
KEF LS50
KEF R3 (little out of budget though, unless i get used one)

Cheers!
PS: i hope i posted in correct topic/section. Pardon, if not.

If you are getting a Rega Amp, then why dont you try the Rega speakers as it will be the best match and no question on synergy. Amp speaker synergy is more critical than the individual components.

The RX3 is available in your budget at Hifimart. They are Floorstanders , but even with bookshelves, in order to get the best sound, you will need to invest in a pair of Speaker stands which is additional cost and takes the same space

If you are getting a Rega Amp, then why dont you try the Rega speakers as it will be the best match and no question on synergy. Amp speaker synergy is more critical than the individual components.

The RX3 is available in your budget at Hifimart. They are Floorstanders , but even with bookshelves, in order to get the best sound, you will need to invest in a pair of Speaker stands which is additional cost and takes the same space

Hi, will look into them. In the meanwhile, was looking for more options.
Have you heard the combo?

yes I have , although many years back. Rega/Linn were both brands where remaining within their own brand ecosystem gives maximum synergy and am sure it is the same now as well

I also have heard Rega with Dali Zensor and that is also pretty good match.

Rega and KEF pair well too. But the combo will force you to feed only good content/recording via a decent source.

Rega amps have no tone controls, so be wary of pairing with KEF family, especially LS50.

LS50 and R3 (to a great extant) are very transparent speakers

Cheers,
Raghu

Rega and KEF pair well too. But the combo will force you to feed only good content/recording via a decent source.

Rega amps have no tone controls, so be wary of pairing with KEF family, especially LS50.

LS50 and R3 (to a great extant) are very transparent speakers

Cheers,
Raghu

I like transparency and neutrality but not upto the level of making them aound harsh on mediocre recordings.
KEF Reference series do sound tempting though, and having read, they are bot that forward and bright.

Also a lot of good things on Emit series and Wvo Ribbon tweeters around the web. Not sure how would they pair with Rega.

I like transparency and neutrality but not upto the level of making them aound harsh on mediocre recordings.
KEF Reference series do sound tempting though, and having read, they are bot that forward and bright.

Also a lot of good things on Emit series and Wvo Ribbon tweeters around the web. Not sure how would they pair with Rega.
You mean KEF R series. The Reference line is a whole different level, at least price wise :)

I have had KEF R300 for almost 5 years now. They can get quite nasty if playing mediocre content.
Took me 4 years of playing around with them to get them to sound right to my ears in my room.
At first changes were incremental, one change at a time (did not have the budget and intent for major ones):
- add this DAC
- change that player
- add CCA (for casting)

It was only last year, when the rig went through a major refresh.
That's when the speakers started showing their potential.
They are still, very honest and I would say may sound bright to some ears.
Heck, they sound bright to my ears sometimes.
This said, KEF LS50 and R3 would benefit from good amplification.

Rega Brio didn't have the muscle to make R300 sing.
Elicit-R made them sing, but less forgiving with mediocre recordings.
Elex-R is between the above models in terms of power capacity.

Would suggest, that you take the amp around and audition as many speakers as possible.
With all this Covid stuff, just have a bit of patience. You may be able to do very few auditions.

Cheers,
Raghu

@rishabhgkp has the M20 paired with a Rega Elicit R, you can reach out to him to know how they sound together.

I have the M20 paired with a Denon X4500H/Marantz PM6006 / CA 651A , amongst these i liked them the most with the PM6006 as the mids sound lush , details are well pronounced and lows are pretty deep and hit with a good quantity. The M20 are exactly like how you describe smooth but detailed and totally non fatiguing even at higher volumes (they are very slightly laidback). I use them in a room of size 14.6 by 11 and they fill the room at about 40% of volume on my IA , however from what i have read they scale tremendously with better amplifiers

You mean KEF R series. The Reference line is a whole different level, at least price wise :)

I have had KEF R300 for almost 5 years now. They can get quite nasty if playing mediocre content.
Took me 4 years of playing around with them to get them to sound right to my ears in my room.
At first changes were incremental, one change at a time (did not have the budget and intent for major ones):
- add this DAC
- change that player
- add CCA (for casting)

It was only last year, when the rig went through a major refresh.
That's when the speakers started showing their potential.
They are still, very honest and I would say may sound bright to some ears.
Heck, they sound bright to my ears sometimes.
This said, KEF LS50 and R3 would benefit from good amplification.

Rega Brio didn't have the muscle to make R300 sing.
Elicit-R made them sing, but less forgiving with mediocre recordings.
Elex-R is between the above models in terms of power capacity.

Would suggest, that you take the amp around and audition as many speakers as possible.
With all this Covid stuff, just have a bit of patience. You may be able to do very few auditions.

Cheers,
Raghu
I surely meant the R series. :D
And would love to audition the pairings and stuff after the whole thing opens up. Till then looking to settle on a bookshelf pair.

Thanks for your input. :)
I have the M20 paired with a Denon X4500H/Marantz PM6006 / CA 651A , amongst these i liked them the most with the PM6006 as the mids sound lush , details are well pronounced and lows are pretty deep and hit with a good quantity. The M20 are exactly like how you describe smooth but detailed and totally non fatiguing even at higher volumes (they are very slightly laidback). I use them in a room of size 14.6 by 11 and they fill the room at about 40% of volume on my IA , however from what i have read they scale tremendously with better amplifiers

Seems like M20 fits my needs well, not sure if Elex would keep them happy.
Pinged @rishabhgkp for his help.
:)

Will look into them, but would not vouch on only measurements and professional reviews for my buy. I have had quite a wonderful experience with not-the-best measuring units earlier, vis a vis, better ones.

Until now Dyn Emit 20 and KEF R3 have me interested, and the RX3 from Rega.

Will look into them, but would not vouch on only measurements and professional reviews for my buy. I have had quite a wonderful experience with not-the-best measuring units earlier, vis a vis, better ones.

Until now Dyn Emit 20 and KEF R3 have me interested, and the RX3 from Rega.
The reviews on the RX3 dont look very promising. Dynaudio Emit M20 seems to have achieved cult status with a large number of FMs swearing by it so i suppose you can’t go wrong. KEF R3 is probably one of the best reviewed speakers of all time and if the KEFQ350 at 1/4th the price is anything to go by, they should be truly exceptional. Have you thought about adding the Q350 to your shortlist since the M20 is also under consideration?

The reviews on the RX3 dont look very promising. Dynaudio Emit M20 seems to have achieved cult status with a large number of FMs swearing by it so i suppose you can’t go wrong. KEF R3 is probably one of the best reviewed speakers of all time and if the KEFQ350 at 1/4th the price is anything to go by, they should be truly exceptional. Have you thought about adding the Q350 to your shortlist since the M20 is also under consideration?

True, never heard anything bad mouthing the Dyns. The only issue is synergy and their hunger.
For R3, i would have to stretch more than what I had in my mind and wallet. Q350, would read about it. But the general outline that i have in mind is apart for R and Reference series, KEFs are tad bright and closed in for soundstage.

True, never heard anything bad mouthing the Dyns. The only issue is synergy and their hunger.
For R3, i would have to stretch more than what I had in my mind and wallet. Q350, would read about it. But the general outline that i have in mind is apart for R and Reference series, KEFs are tad bright and closed in for soundstage.
I would say that may not hold true for all experiences. I find my Quads and Q acoustics Concept to be "brighter" than the KEF which I don't find bright at the slightest.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back