Best bookshelf speakers under 1 lac

Speaker preferences are so subjective that a debate on which is better will get you nowhere. You know what sound you like, if Denton sounds nice to you, go for it. It’s a good speaker and has loyal users. They are for those who like to sit back and enjoy their music, not those who look for sounds in it. If you’d rather listen to Miles Davis than to Jazz at the Pawn Shop, it’s for you.

Why seek endorsement from others? When I bought my CK2, I just did a few demos, the moment I heard them at the dealer (and saw them too, they’re gorgeous), I sealed the deal. Been happy for the last seven years. I know their pluses as well as minuses. What matters is the pluses are more important to me than the minuses.

Last edited:
(1) Bass extension,
(2) bass quantity,
(3) soundstage
(4) imaging
I had the Qx2 for three years and I liked them. But at the same time, objectively speaking they rank the least among all the speakers I had. They are good in quantity not so much in quality.
I initially had the presonus Eris e5 and upgraded to Qx2. The Qx2 could not come close to the Eris e5 in terms of quality but the eris's were only good for nearfield listening.
Next I upgraded to the elac db6.2. Again the elacs had it all over the Qx2 in sound quality. Better clarity, details, more lifelike, etc.
Soundstage and imaging are secondary compared to what is actually being reproduced in that soundstage and image. Again the Qx2 had more bass quantity and not quality. With them I always felt that the music is coming through the speakers but with the elacs they never get in the way between me and the music.

I received my Denton 85 before two weeks. Here are my impressions driving it with Marantz PM7000N.
- Straight out of the box the drivers are very stiff and need atleast 30- 40 hours of break-in.
- The first thing I noticed is how sibilant and harsh the highs can get. I was very disappointed. And then I came to know there is a way to tame the highs by adding a resistor by replacing the bi-wire positive link. I tried resistors with different values and finally settled with 2 ohms as it gave the flattest response to my ears. Now the only problem I had with these speakers is gone. No more sibilance or harshness in the highs.
- Now to the good parts. The crisp mids, the scale and the bass weight for a speaker of this size and price is phenomenal.
- The mids sound very lively and crisp. If you are someone who listens to a lot of instrumental music or vocals this is a very good choice. The instruments sound very real and clear.
- The speakers sound very big, almost like a tower speaker. They have a wide dispersion so if you are putting them close to the sidewalls room treatment is must otherwise you will have lots of issues. I am upgrading my acoustic panels with thicker ones now. Owing to the shape of the cabinet there is a slight compromise in the height of the soundstage.
- The bass goes deep and it's very impactful which completely surprised me. I changed the low pass filter of my sub from 80hz to 60hz. You really don't need a sub unless you want floor thumping bass and want to get to the lowest octaves.
- Finally the build and red mahogany finish feels very premium and they look expensive.
- These speakers are designed to be used with the grills on and they sound better that way.
I would definitely recommend this especially for instrumentals and vocals.

I received my Denton 85 before two weeks. Here are my impressions driving it with Marantz PM7000N.
- Straight out of the box the drivers are very stiff and need atleast 30- 40 hours of break-in.
- The first thing I noticed is how sibilant and harsh the highs can get. I was very disappointed. And then I came to know there is a way to tame the highs by adding a resistor by replacing the bi-wire positive link. I tried resistors with different values and finally settled with 2 ohms as it gave the flattest response to my ears. Now the only problem I had with these speakers is gone. No more sibilance or harshness in the highs.
- Now to the good parts. The crisp mids, the scale and the bass weight for a speaker of this size and price is phenomenal.
- The mids sound very lively and crisp. If you are someone who listens to a lot of instrumental music or vocals this is a very good choice. The instruments sound very real and clear.
- The speakers sound very big, almost like a tower speaker. They have a wide dispersion so if you are putting them close to the sidewalls room treatment is must otherwise you will have lots of issues. I am upgrading my acoustic panels with thicker ones now. Owing to the shape of the cabinet there is a slight compromise in the height of the soundstage.
- The bass goes deep and it's very impactful which completely surprised me. I changed the low pass filter of my sub from 80hz to 60hz. You really don't need a sub unless you want floor thumping bass and want to get to the lowest octaves.
- Finally the build and red mahogany finish feels very premium and they look expensive.
- These speakers are designed to be used with the grills on and they sound better that way.
I would definitely recommend this especially for instrumentals and vocals.
Congratulations on following your mind! And good to see you’ve started enjoying them. May be after 200 odd hours you can try removing the resistors and check if you still hear sibilance/ harshness.

Can you share a subjective experience you had while listening to any particular song with the Dentons? And some pics of the lovely speakers within your setup.

At close to 40k- 45 k
I favour the PSB alpha p5
And the Polk r series ( for a little bit more money )

Serious Disclaimer - I'm.assciated to Psb/Nad

I am using q acoustic concept 30, first time i was disappointed, but when i given more power(class d ampn100watrs),its changed. Speaker total disappear and i felt some time i have small subwoofer in the room 😄. Its 5inch driver have doubt that bass is not good. But concept 30 is total different league. I was used concept 20. I see 30 is huge upgrade from 20. If you use normal amp with 30,its not normal. Even i am enjoying movies in stereo.

It's the same with Linton. Launched at 100k and now it is 180k. Mind numbing price increase.

Both are sitting pretty on the hype train. Ridiculous! To me, buying new speakers makes no sense. One is far better off with pre-owned.
Iirc, linton was going for 85k with discounts. Soon it will hit 200k.

At close to 40k- 45 k
I favour the PSB alpha p5
And the Polk r series ( for a little bit more money )

Serious Disclaimer - I'm.assciated to Psb/Nad
I have the P5s. Incredible bass for the size and very good midrange and exciting top end - the perfect budget speaker.

I have now changed my amp to audiolab 6000a. The Dentons pair much better with them. The sound has become more open, neutral and clear. No listening fatigue whatsoever. The 2 ohm resistor is still there to tame the treble for a flat response.

After weeks of listening I have only one complaint with these speakers. It is that they are always trying to sound pleasant. Which sometimes slightly compromises the raw emotion in the music especially with orchestral tracks.

Can you share a subjective experience you had while listening to any particular song with the Dentons? And some pics of the lovely speakers within your setup.
Hi sorry for the delayed response.With Hua main from Animal. The male vocal sounds very real and draws me in with strong emotion. The percussions and strings sound very clear and pleasant.

With Revival vandematram the saxophone and other wind instruments sounds very organic and real. Again the female vocals just produces strong emotion by being present there.
Orchestral music like the main title from 'Silence of the lambs' sound very open and immersive.

I have now changed my amp to audiolab 6000a. The Dentons pair much better with them. The sound has become more open, neutral and clear. No listening fatigue whatsoever. The 2 ohm resistor is still there to tame the treble for a flat response.

After weeks of listening I have only one complaint with these speakers. It is that they are always trying to sound pleasant. Which sometimes slightly compromises the raw emotion in the music especially with orchestral tracks.
Which amp was connected before audiolab?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back