Best bookshelf speakers under 1 lac

Do audition Triangle speaker at Audio Planet Bengaluru - near to your place too. You will love the sound.

I listen to EPOS, Q Acoustics and Triangle and love 'em .

And the QA 5020 is on another level with imaging, resolution, transperency and clarity. When positioned correctly they just disappear and can put you in a trans. They are that good. But the only problem is they are bit too bright/ harsh. If it were only a little more mellow I would consider this as the end game for me.
Have you tried anything to arrest the brightness of your QAs? Like changing speaker cable, rca cable, dac or even your amp? Marantz are known for their thick sound with lesser sharpness, which you already feel bright, so one other brand you can try is an old NAD like a C320 bee. Sometimes slight modifications in your existing chain will help you achieve your desired sound.

Have you tried anything to arrest the brightness of your QAs? Like changing speaker cable, rca cable, dac or even your amp? Marantz are known for their thick sound with lesser sharpness, which you already feel bright, so one other brand you can try is an old NAD like a C320 bee. Sometimes slight modifications in your existing chain will help you achieve your desired sound.
I have turned down the treble on the amp and that has solved some of the problem. As you said my marantz is warm and smooth with other speakers so it's not the amp. I am not using rca as I only stream. So what speaker cables can I use to eliminate the brightness in the sound?

Check out the above thread about cables. I am using Belden 8447 which is a vfm cable. Please try different cables if you can borrow from any FM friends and feel the changes.

Name some of the best we can find in the market under 1 lac. Also mention the sound signature of the speakers if possible.
Based on my experience of listening and whatever I gathered from internet,

Elac b5.2
Q acoustics 3020
Kef q150
Polk R100
B&W 607 S3
Elac unifi 2.0 ub52
Q acoustics 5020
Quad S2
Wharfdale Evo 4.2
Polk Audio L100
Q acoustics concept 30
Hi
You can check sonus Faber or xtz. Both are good and matching with marantz

I have turned down the treble on the amp and that has solved some of the problem. As you said my marantz is warm and smooth with other speakers so it's not the amp. I am not using rca as I only stream. So what speaker cables can I use to eliminate the brightness in the sound?
Yikes, I've seldom come across a speaker sounding bright with Marantz.

I can imagine it being quite the pain point that an 89K speaker still doesn't manage to sound right.

This can be due to a number of factors. I imagine that to give the illusion of more detail retrieval and better stereo imaging, the treble is tilted up. This may by itself not be a problem but the QA 5020 also sports small 5 inch drivers - therefore, if the bass is weak and not digging low enough, the imbalance makes the treble sound sharp.

Since you perceive it as a problem, I'd recommend changing the speaker Or adding a subwoofer.

If you don't want to add a sub and want a softer speaker that has good balance throughout the frequency spectrum, try the Mission QX-2/SX-2 (6.5 inch drivers) - its nearly impossible to make them sound bright. Marantz would sound okay with them but not the best - I'd paired them with a Marantz NR1509 and while not bad by any means, the resultant sound was vague and mushy.

Get a talented amp that has good imaging and soundstage - something like the Willsenton R8 has terrific synergy with the QX-2.

I remember going to audition Genelec G3s with a couple of friends and then coming back and listening to the abovesaid combo - we decided it was pointless splurging since it wasn't a step up to our ears.

Last edited:
Probably a thick curtain in the room, and thick rug on the floor would do it.

I have EPOS M12i since last many years and the best match with my Pass F5. Balanced and musical . However have no idea on ES14N. I think Hifimart used to keep EPOS speakers, you may want to check
Epos has owned by Fink consulting now. And they have only one model. I had a chance to listen to it and wished it was available everywhere as to me it’s a perfect speaker in many ways at its price class. But I never thought this would come to India as it’s not even having many dealers even in Europe.

I have decided to buy Elac UBR62 which I reckon is the improved version of UB52.
I basically need a speaker that sounds rich, smooth and natural. If you guys think there is anything better please suggest.

I have decided to buy Elac UBR62 which I reckon is the improved version of UB52.
I basically need a speaker that sounds rich, smooth and natural. If you guys think there is anything better please suggest.
Where did you buy it from and how much?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back